Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jul 2017 at 8:45 PM
Creating a celebrity facemask?
Hopefully I'll be able to explain what I'm trying to do clear enough. I've been looking around for any tutorials on how to create custom facemasks using Sims4Studio and an editing program, and so far I've only found this: How to make a face paint, so I was wondering would creating a face paint of, say, a celebrity use this same process...?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 10th Jul 2017 at 2:24 PM
I tried making a Bella Hadid mask last night and I got it to work (not perfect but it's a bit of trial and error). Keep in mind that facepaint goes on top of other makeup so you should either include the makeup on the mask, or play with the opacity so other makeup shows up. I uploaded some images of my test from last night. I will probably fix it and upload a Bella Hadid sim, and do other ones if I get requests since it's pretty fun. If you have questions or need help let me know! Who knows, I might even make a tutorial video.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Jul 2017 at 4:10 AM
At least yours actually kinda blends in with the skintone, mine literally was just the outline of the face in the source picture put on top of the template face. Did you do each facial feature piece by piece? And I'm guessing you didn't have the opacity at 100%? Urgggh, this seems so much more complicated than doing it for The Sims 2! Any help you could give would be awesome.

Here's MY monstrosity:
Test Subject
#4 Old 11th Jul 2017 at 5:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by full_empathy
At least yours actually kinda blends in with the skintone, mine literally was just the outline of the face in the source picture put on top of the template face. Did you do each facial feature piece by piece? And I'm guessing you didn't have the opacity at 100%? Urgggh, this seems so much more complicated than doing it for The Sims 2! Any help you could give would be awesome.

Here's MY monstrosity:

That's not too bad, I think you already got the nose eyes and mouth in the right place? Or at least very close.
The process isn't so different from the TS2 masks creation, but it takes time to make it blend flawlessly. I took a few hours to make the test mask.
And yes, I had to chop the face parts one by one so I could position them, you can't simply paste the face on the mask and make it work like that because of the way the texture stretches to cover/wrap the face of your sim. That's why my mask on photoshop looks weird.
What program are you using to edit the mask? Using a large, soft brush you should erase the harsh borders so they blend with the sim's skintone. And also lower the opacity of the bits of skin (cheeks, forehead, jaw) , but keeping at least a 90% opacity on the key features of the mask like the eyes, nose, brows, mouth, beauty marks, etc. Kind of like I did in the screenshot of my mask opened in photoshop. You will also have to play with the color of the skin of your reference image so it looks more dark/warm, like the sims skintones in game. Let me know if you need more help! You can also send me the PNG of your mask and I will try to make it blend if you want.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Jul 2017 at 11:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Viv.
That's not too bad, I think you already got the nose eyes and mouth in the right place? Or at least very close.
The process isn't so different from the TS2 masks creation, but it takes time to make it blend flawlessly. I took a few hours to make the test mask.
And yes, I had to chop the face parts one by one so I could position them, you can't simply paste the face on the mask and make it work like that because of the way the texture stretches to cover/wrap the face of your sim. That's why my mask on photoshop looks weird.
What program are you using to edit the mask? Using a large, soft brush you should erase the harsh borders so they blend with the sim's skintone. And also lower the opacity of the bits of skin (cheeks, forehead, jaw) , but keeping at least a 90% opacity on the key features of the mask like the eyes, nose, brows, mouth, beauty marks, etc. Kind of like I did in the screenshot of my mask opened in photoshop. You will also have to play with the color of the skin of your reference image so it looks more dark/warm, like the sims skintones in game. Let me know if you need more help! You can also send me the PNG of your mask and I will try to make it blend if you want.

Thanks for the pointers, I am using Photoshop CS6. So I inquired on another forum about this process and was told that it also involves editing the uv map and some additional drawing. Did you have to fiddle with anything like that in your process? I wouldn't even know how to do that.
Test Subject
#6 Old 13th Jul 2017 at 5:24 PM Last edited by Viv. : 13th Jul 2017 at 5:49 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by full_empathy
Thanks for the pointers, I am using Photoshop CS6. So I inquired on another forum about this process and was told that it also involves editing the uv map and some additional drawing. Did you have to fiddle with anything like that in your process? I wouldn't even know how to do that.

Yeah, the UV map... I didn't know what it was so I just clicked on the "make blank" button on sims4studio. Didn't notice anything looking particularly off or weird.
By additional drawing they mean correcting the things that got too stretched or blurry (eyebrows, eye details,...), or drawing the nostrils (because you can't get all the 3D details using only one photo).
And for blending, maybe you can also paint a mask-like shape with a super soft brush (on a new layer under your mask) in a color that's between the skin color on the mask/photo you used and the skintone you will use on the final sim.

EDIT: here's a screenshot of how my photoshop document looked after a few hours and a zoomed-in s4s preview:
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Jul 2017 at 7:18 PM
Yeah, the UV map... I didn't know what it was so I just clicked on the "make blank" button on sims4studio. Didn't notice anything looking particularly off or weird.
By additional drawing they mean correcting the things that got too stretched or blurry (eyebrows, eye details,...), or drawing the nostrils (because you can't get all the 3D details using only one photo).
And for blending, maybe you can also paint a mask-like shape with a super soft brush (on a new layer under your mask) in a color that's between the skin color on the mask/photo you used and the skintone you will use on the final sim.

EDIT: here's a screenshot of how my photoshop document looked after a few hours and a zoomed-in s4s preview:

Thank you, once again! So are you saying I should also have a picture I can use to create the nostrils? I thought I could just line up the nose on the template and regular sim nostrils would show. And also, you're using the regular female template right? I think I downloaded mine from the Sims4Studio site. One of the creators provided me with the uv map version, but I'm guessing that just acts as a guideline for making sure the pieces are lined up correctly. I'm sorry I have so many questions, I'm just trying to determine if I can really do this before giving up. Lol
Test Subject
#8 Old 22nd Dec 2017 at 10:53 PM
Default Amazing
I tried making a Bella Hadid mask last night and I got it to work (not perfect but it's a bit of trial and error). Keep in mind that facepaint goes on top of other makeup so you should either include the makeup on the mask, or play with the opacity so other makeup shows up. I uploaded some images of my test from last night. I will probably fix it and upload a Bella Hadid sim, and do other ones if I get requests since it's pretty fun. If you have questions or need help let me know! Who knows, I might even make a tutorial video.
please do a tutorial