Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#26 Old 16th Oct 2017 at 3:25 AM
Not really. I do upgrade all adults, and everyone gets extra locks as necessary. I like giving an extra fear slot to Sims who've just been through a bad experience.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 16th Oct 2017 at 3:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
I like giving an extra fear slot to Sims who've just been through a bad experience.

I need to start doing this.
(On a somewhat related note, I guess my sims need to actually have some bad experiences...)
Inventor
#28 Old 16th Oct 2017 at 8:20 AM Last edited by Sketching : 16th Oct 2017 at 10:23 AM. Reason: added links
It can be difficult to play with constantly changing wants but the way I play (Post 4 on this thread for the curious) adds an extra dimension to my game. I now have to get into the sim's mind and see from their perspective which wants they would want in the long-term and what else they want to do otherwise.

It also prevents them from getting the so-called want ruts (that don't happen in my game so much anymore) like when Fortune sims constantly want things, Romancers only want woohoo, and Pleasure-seekers solely want to change into their pyjamas and jump on couches. With some training, Knowledge sims will want parties and Family sims won't let the want to have more children override wants to interact with their current ones (I've read this as a complaint about Family sims so I thought I should bring it up).

It's a bit irritating when they reroll in community lots though I find it more interesting when there are particular wants that they insist on rolling despite several rerolls. Example - that one sim who has 5 lovers but rolls wants for one of them in particular the most? That second sim may become their spouse.

I find that a variety of aspiration scores and experiences makes them feel more unique - my nice sims who grew up badly sometimes pick fights and pull pranks on complete strangers while I barely hear a peep out of some grouchy ones who had better upbringings.

Note that I use a mod that prevents the aspiration scores of townies and NPCs from resetting so background events become more important. I've had Knowledge firefighters go into aspiration failure after putting fires out and Popularity sims that are constantly giddy because they became friends with my playables or fellow townies. Now they're not just mere eternal backdrops (another complaint I've heard before) - some might start a fight with a playable because they were denied a flirt with someone else the last time they appeared downtown.

I love my chaos.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 16th Oct 2017 at 9:30 AM Last edited by simsfreq : 16th Oct 2017 at 9:41 AM.
Vanilla for me, but I use Cyjon's semester changes so uni is shorter, and if they fail a semester, I make them skip straight to the next one so they lose the chance for that particular bonus (plus get a lower GPA in the end). Agree, sometimes I cheat CAS sims/founders into having uni bonuses.

I do actually really like the idea of giving new fear slots to sims who have had traumatic experiences, though - that fits much better. And perhaps I could add want slots for sims who have been to therapy in order to counteract this, and give a "point" to therapy other than story reasons? Hmm. Perhaps I will skip giving them for university graduates!

I allow my sims to reroll their aspiration after a life changing experience which may have altered their perspective. I take their aspiration as being a combination of primary and secondary, so usually they'll just change one of those but keep the other the same (or swap them) so that it doesn't entirely change their outlook.

That mod looks good - does it work with later EPs? It looks like it might be old.

Honestly I had never even considered trying to give them more than 6 wants or 4 fears! Does this really work?? How fun!

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Inventor
#30 Old 16th Oct 2017 at 11:36 AM Last edited by Sketching : 16th Oct 2017 at 11:46 AM.
I have all of the EPs and it works for me - perhaps a little too well, in fact, for my poor firefighters, but that's why I ask them out on dates, or befriend and tip them to get them back on their feet if I like them. It's definitely something you have to test before putting in your normal hoods if you're not ready for the possible results.

Side note: I love the effect it has on Romance cow mascots. Ah, the sweet sound of revenge...

Forum Resident
#31 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 12:15 AM
In my game, want and fear slots are mostly vanilla. Now and then, I'll give a CAS Sim a university diploma and with that comes the extra slot & lock. But they only get a diploma if they are created with a skillset in mind, such as doctor, nurse, teacher, engineer.

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Alchemist
#32 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 1:22 AM
added slots to only a few non-graduates; I think temporarily. with insimenator.
have not yet attached college neighborhoods to the pre-made neighborhoods; when I do, would use the shipped version method.
Theorist
#33 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 2:59 AM
I use whowards' University of Life. Then I don't need to make up any rules, it's all done for me
Scholar
#34 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 8:50 PM
I allow premade sims to enter university-only careers if I think it makes sense for them. Like Erin Beaker, who'd feel right at home in the paranormal career.

The extra wants slots are something that I feel I have to earn, so only sims I actually put through university get them.

The only exception are dormies that lived along my played sims. Some do not gain their extra slots upon moving in/marriage and I've yet to find the pattern in it. For example the streaker got neither slots nor diploma, my custom dormie got the diploma but no bonus slots and a Maxis dormie got both diploma and slots. All three were moved into the main neighborhood by the ingame "ask to move in" interaction, no cheating involved.
Since storywise the streaker wasn't a student anyway I kept him in his state, but I upgraded my custom dormie to what she "should" be capable of.
Page 2 of 2