Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 11:49 AM
Default Early confirmations - Swaying Hair Clothes, Hair Growth, what happened?
I came across possibly the first teaser of TS4, which I have never seen before.

First things I noticed was:
Swaying Hair
Different Heights
Not to mention more expressive than ever...

Then Googled for more old articles and found this from SimsVIP

Quote:
The Official Magazine of The Sims 3 Spain, has posted 10 bullet point facts for The Sims 4 in their latest magazine issue. Included in the facts posted, The Sims 3 Spain confirms that Facial and Head Hair will grow gradually over time. They also confirm that “wind” will allow hair and clothing to sway, which I believe would give it a more realistic touch.

This obviously got many excited for nothing, my guess it possibly was all scrapped because of performance issues...
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 1:57 PM
They couldnt even give us sitting comfortably in chairs, they made them sit up all awkward looking. They took away relaxing and even reading on the beds. These two very basic things irritate me. They talk about giving us more complex emotions, but to me, it isnt realistic, their emotions swing extremely. Instead of making more expansions, they need to work on Sims 5 and do it MUCH better.

Quote: Originally posted by Citysim
I came across possibly the first teaser of TS4, which I have never seen before.

First things I noticed was:
Swaying Hair
Different Heights
Not to mention more expressive than ever...

Then Googled for more old articles and found this from SimsVIP

This obviously got many excited for nothing, my guess it possibly was all scrapped because of performance issues...
Smeg Head
#3 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 5:13 PM Last edited by coolspear1 : 20th Nov 2018 at 5:26 PM.
The game, the simulation, has a hard enough time as is keeping all this sort of thing in queue. Sims suffer long bouts of standing around, waiting for there turn in the queue to finally get their push to move ass, waiting for the moment-to-moment cycles of the tree branches bending in the breeze, the curtains slightly swaying to and fro, the insects flapping all over the visible vista. Sims wait their turn with all this, almost as if the game is still using the single thread technology when the first iteration of the franchise appeared. Like it hasn't really evolved much in that sense as EA keeps regurgitating same. Had this swaying hair and clothes ever existed in late development, along with all else that moves, sways and flaps in the released version of the game, the simulation would have been crippled so egregiously that even the likes of EA would have felt bad releasing it in such a state. If it ever was a thing, it was removed, so we only have the "slight" simulation lag we do today. The mileage on "slight" varies from computer to computer.

Edit - Not forgetting TS4 would have only been 32bit back then too, so if it suffers simulation lag now a 64bit, it would have been twice as bad back then.

I also remember reading something maybe ten months ago, about a modding project that was going to bring this into the game. The swaying hair. But have not seen much mention of it in recent times. Maybe for same drag on resources and simulation lag the project may have been abandoned. Not sure.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Theorist
#4 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 5:50 PM
It was never a thing. You can read us talking about it at the time here in this thread (about half way down the page) as we were waiting for confirmation.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 21st Nov 2018 at 5:24 AM
I am quite sure that's all just flossing - it isn't a gameplay trailer, it's a teaser. Swaying hair and super smooth expressions were all just to make it look good and up to date, as well as helping the renders look fluid and less awkward next to human actors in a real-life space.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 21st Nov 2018 at 5:57 AM
After seeing that Sims 2 trailer with sims spinning off the fan I've stopped trusting their trailers
Field Researcher
#7 Old 21st Nov 2018 at 7:35 AM
This trailer was released before they had had the chance to actually start making the animations I think. Watching it, I suspect they used real life actors and replaced them by the characters later. That probably was cheaper. I don’t remember them ever promising swaying or growing hair, just fans wishing for that.
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Nov 2018 at 10:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jo-Anne
This trailer was released before they had had the chance to actually start making the animations I think. Watching it, I suspect they used real life actors and replaced them by the characters later. That probably was cheaper. I don’t remember them ever promising swaying or growing hair, just fans wishing for that.

I don't remember much about the release either, from the look of those sims/or/actors, looked like they had no idea the direction the game was supposed to go in, and they didn't even finish the game in time without Pools, Toddlers, NPCs, and most recently Terrain tools...