Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Apr 2019 at 8:20 PM Last edited by RainMilk : 10th May 2019 at 9:08 PM.
Default Help with SimPE [Index out of range]
Hello, I've been learning how to convert from different games, and so far I've ran into this error: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
when I try to import the mesh via GMDC. I've tried to edit the mesh in milkshape, but I still get this.
Thank You!!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 5th Apr 2019 at 9:00 PM
Just to make it clear, are you importing to SimPE when you're getting this error?

I'm thinking there may be something wrong with the mesh, possibly double skeletons if it's an animated or body mesh. If it's an object with a skeleton, make sure the bones are only listed once, and that the auskel bone is on top of the list if it's a body mesh (other meshes tend to have Joint1, 2, 3, etc.)

Sometimes it can happen with meshes that's got multi-sided polys (Milkshape sometimes struggles if there's more than 4 sides to the polygons/faces. Meshes should convert polys to 3-sided faces in MIlkshape if they're 4-sided). SimPE complains if there's more than 3 sides, so it can be a good idea to go through Milkshape with the mesh. If it's a regular object, try to export as OBJ. If advanced mode is on you can replace the mesh groups in SimPE.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Apr 2019 at 2:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Just to make it clear, are you importing to SimPE when you're getting this error?

I'm thinking there may be something wrong with the mesh, possibly double skeletons if it's an animated or body mesh. If it's an object with a skeleton, make sure the bones are only listed once, and that the auskel bone is on top of the list if it's a body mesh (other meshes tend to have Joint1, 2, 3, etc.)

Sometimes it can happen with meshes that's got multi-sided polys (Milkshape sometimes struggles if there's more than 4 sides to the polygons/faces. Meshes should convert polys to 3-sided faces in MIlkshape if they're 4-sided). SimPE complains if there's more than 3 sides, so it can be a good idea to go through Milkshape with the mesh. If it's a regular object, try to export as OBJ. If advanced mode is on you can replace the mesh groups in SimPE.

Yes, I'm importing to SimPE via GMDC. I don't know SimPE very well so I wouldn't even think about advanced mode. Also, I whether I go though Milkshape or not I still get the error. How would one replace the mesh groups? If I can ask, Thank You!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 7th Apr 2019 at 12:39 PM
It would be much easier to help if I knew what you were working on, possibly recreate the error myself.

Can you upload the mesh you're trying to convert, plus the Milkshape and Package files you're working on, so I can take a look?
(archive the files, then use the uploader under "attachments").
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Apr 2019 at 3:50 AM
It would be much easier to help if I knew what you were working on, possibly recreate the error myself.

Can you upload the mesh you're trying to convert, plus the Milkshape and Package files you're working on, so I can take a look?
(archive the files, then use the uploader under "attachments").

Okay, there you go. I think I got it to import but now it says too many faces. If its not good I won't covert it. Thank you so much for your help (I don't why theres two attachments- both the same-)
Attached files:
File Type: rar  WIP Box.rar (794.6 KB, 13 downloads) - View custom content
Mad Poster
#6 Old 8th Apr 2019 at 10:50 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 8th Apr 2019 at 12:22 PM.
It's got 37000+ polys, so it's quite high. SimPE should still be able to import it, though. I've seen far worse when it comes to polycounts. SimPE often says "too many face/vertices" even if the mesh can be imported and works fine. I think it's just a bug.

I was able to import the mesh without any warnings when importing as obj (Import button) and replacing with the advanced tool (it's just a box that pops up that lets you choose which mesh group you want to change it with). Got no errors.

I'd still advice you to reduce the polycount on the mesh, because it's quite a lot for a small object. You can do it in a few different ways. Personally, I prefer reducing polys manually, and I've found it's relatively easy in Blender (once you get past the steep learning curve - I previously used 3DMax for this, but it also had some issues and is not cheap) and possibly other programs where you can mark edgeloops and remove them without removing faces (there's also a tool in Blender that lets you squarify faces into polys, which I also use when manually reduce polys, because depending on the mesh topology it doesn't always do a good job). Blender also an autotool (that I personally don't like much because it's very unaccurate, but occasionally use).

The attachment issue where you see two files is just a bug (I usually get it too). Only one file gets uploaded and shows

Oh, and for future reference, if you want to import as GMDC (via right-click/Replace) you need a different format. There's a Milkshape plugin in the tutorial section for clothes, and you need to export as this format for it to work. It's meant for meshes with a skeleton, but you can use it for non-animated items too.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th May 2019 at 9:06 PM
It's got 37000+ polys, so it's quite high. SimPE should still be able to import it, though. I've seen far worse when it comes to polycounts. SimPE often says "too many face/vertices" even if the mesh can be imported and works fine. I think it's just a bug.

I was able to import the mesh without any warnings when importing as obj (Import button) and replacing with the advanced tool (it's just a box that pops up that lets you choose which mesh group you want to change it with). Got no errors.

I'd still advice you to reduce the polycount on the mesh, because it's quite a lot for a small object. You can do it in a few different ways. Personally, I prefer reducing polys manually, and I've found it's relatively easy in Blender (once you get past the steep learning curve - I previously used 3DMax for this, but it also had some issues and is not cheap) and possibly other programs where you can mark edgeloops and remove them without removing faces (there's also a tool in Blender that lets you squarify faces into polys, which I also use when manually reduce polys, because depending on the mesh topology it doesn't always do a good job). Blender also an autotool (that I personally don't like much because it's very unaccurate, but occasionally use).

The attachment issue where you see two files is just a bug (I usually get it too). Only one file gets uploaded and shows

Oh, and for future reference, if you want to import as GMDC (via right-click/Replace) you need a different format. There's a Milkshape plugin in the tutorial section for clothes, and you need to export as this format for it to work. It's meant for meshes with a skeleton, but you can use it for non-animated items too.

Sorry for the late reply! I see. Well I guess its not going to work at this time. Thank You anyways!!