Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th May 2019 at 2:19 PM Last edited by ChristianBuilder : 9th May 2019 at 3:59 PM.
Default PROOF OF CONCEPT: Adjacent Doors
IMPORTANT
This is not a tutorial, this will not change the way you build, yet
Some simple custom windows could do so.

Ever been building in hallways and wanting to place adjacent doors, good for smaller builds, even good for larger builds when using centered doors. But we all know that that second door does not produce a wall cutout.

Irritating, but there is a way to fix this:

STEP 1

Insert cheat 'MoveObjects on'
Place your adjacent doors, well that doesn't work

STEP 2

Insert cheat 'MoveObjects off'
Delete your doors that have no wall cutouts and place windows

STEP 3

Insert cheat 'MoveObjects on'
Place your adjacent doors on top of your windows
Insert cheat 'MoveObjects off'

CONGRATULATIONS, YOU ARE DONE..... WELL SORT OF
This is not a tutorial, this is a proof of concept, if someone was able to create a 'window' that was simply a wall cutout in the shape of the desired door, then adjacent doors will be possible, and this would become a tutorial.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 10th May 2019 at 5:25 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 10th May 2019 at 7:26 AM.
Do those adjacent doors still work after you save the lot, exit to neighborhood, reposition the lot and then reenter it?
(And why does the infernal autocorrect try to tell me that "reposition" is misspelled?)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th May 2019 at 3:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
Do those adjacent doors still work after you save the lot, exit to neighborhood, reposition the lot and then reenter it?
(And why does the infernal autocorrect try to tell me that "reposition" is misspelled?)

Yes. you can move the lot into the bin, place it back in a different position, move a sim out, put the lot back into the bin, place it back again, move a different sim in, and the adjacent doors will still work.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 11th May 2019 at 4:09 AM
But then you have a window and door stuck together. Far simpler to draw a half wall out from the door or window that isn't showing properly then hit the back key. For windows this should fix them nearly always and for doors some of the time. When it doesn't fix the door or arch reloading the lot most times fixes it. This is a graphical glitch only, being filled does not alter a doors playability whether you fix it or not.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th May 2019 at 6:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
But then you have a window and door stuck together. Far simpler to draw a half wall out from the door or window that isn't showing properly then hit the back key. For windows this should fix them nearly always and for doors some of the time. When it doesn't fix the door or arch reloading the lot most times fixes it. This is a graphical glitch only, being filled does not alter a doors playability whether you fix it or not.

THANK YOU

That actually worked, the delete-undo trick doesn't work for doors (it does for windows), but exiting and reloading the lot does, and even stays so after relocating the lot.

Still, I think there is a use for a wall-cutout window object for making attached garages without warping walls, as this would allow attached garages in smaller builds since there will be no need to sacrifice a floor tile for the warping wall

A window object cutting out the wall placed on the full-height wall will reveal the garage door and allow attached garages closer to foundations.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 11th May 2019 at 6:23 AM
I will have to try it on an attached garage sometime. I normally just use plaster but that can be annoying too when you really want brick or horizontal siding.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~