Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Feb 2017 at 6:01 AM
Default No more blurry textures in BodyShop!
So here I am, reinstalling TS2 a few days ago, but on a brand new computer..meaning a brand new Graphic card. While creating is a pleasure...having BodyShop not rendering my textures properly is quite annoying.
I stumbled on this thread yesterday. I had yet to notice the issue, but am I happy now.
@labellavienna also posted a link to a BodyShop texture fix. So since tonight, I decided to recolor a mesh of mine, and of course, saw the monstrosity...I gave this a try.
One problem though, editing the Graphics Rules.sgr in M&G does nothing...While it is fixing many other graphical annoyances such as..screen resolution stuck at 800x600, or sim's shadows etc, the BodyShop we use is not in M&G but in Apartment life, for most of us.
So I gave this a try, and copied the edited Graphics Rules.sgr I just did, following the bodyshop texture fix tut, and replace the one in AL's tsdata/res/csconfig, as well.
Voilà!
Body Shop reads the Graphics Rules.sgr that sits in the same EP folder, so whatever one you are using needs its own Graphics Rules.sgr edited.

I am posting this here, because the first thread I linked is a bit old....But I think some might find this minor yet crucial detail, useful.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 24th Feb 2017 at 2:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
So here I am, reinstalling TS2 a few days ago, but on a brand new computer..meaning a brand new Graphic card. While creating is a pleasure...having BodyShop not rendering my textures properly is quite annoying.
I stumbled on this thread yesterday. I had yet to notice the issue, but am I happy now.
@labellavienna also posted a link to a BodyShop texture fix. So since tonight, I decided to recolor a mesh of mine, and of course, saw the monstrosity...I gave this a try.
One problem though, editing the Graphics Rules.sgr in M&G does nothing...While it is fixing many other graphical annoyances such as..screen resolution stuck at 800x600, or sim's shadows etc, the BodyShop we use is not in M&G but in Apartment life, for most of us.
So I gave this a try, and copied the edited Graphics Rules.sgr I just did, following the bodyshop texture fix tut, and replace the one in AL's tsdata/res/csconfig, as well.
Voilà!
Body Shop reads the Graphics Rules.sgr that sits in the same EP folder, so whatever one you are using needs its own Graphics Rules.sgr edited.

I am posting this here, because the first thread I linked is a bit old....But I think some might find this minor yet crucial detail, useful.
I tried this here and it solved all my graphic problems and as to the bodyshop well I had to edit the last ep's bodyshop which was apartment life in my case.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Feb 2017 at 5:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by telefen
I tried this here and it solved all my graphic problems and as to the bodyshop well I had to edit the last ep's bodyshop which was apartment life in my case.

Yes, as I mentioned in my post, our Body Shop is in AL. if we own all games

Instructor
#4 Old 2nd Dec 2017 at 8:16 AM
Since this is still on the first page I'm taking a chance that continuing is better than a new thread...

Basically my quesion is, "Why does BodyShop hate me?" I have edited the GraphicsRules.sgr files in both AL and M&G, just to cover my bases, and I have tried opening the .package file in SimPE and importing. But I'm still winding up with the kind of pixel-blown nonsense that is the photo attached. Didn't have this problem on previous uploads, but those didn't have crisp/angled details like this logo. I'm trying not to beat myself up too hard about the wonky neckline, given the state of the Maxis original (green), but I've never been able to crack this jacked up texture nut.

I'm open to and grateful for any suggestions!
Screenshots
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#5 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 1:44 AM
ok that is a common problem, do you do the build dxt trick in SimPE for the texture? I HATE when it pixellates like that! I believe it is also a base game mesh correct? the neckline is weird anyway on that one.
Instructor
#6 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 3:25 AM Last edited by Liz : 5th Dec 2017 at 4:42 AM.
I totally forgot to try the build dxt, thanks! Will definitely give that a shot. Yeah, it's the base mesh, so the neckline is doomed to a certain degree of fug, but I just know I've got to be able to do better than that picture. >_<

EDIT: Guh, wait, no. I did try that. Looked even worse. Thanks for the suggestion, though!
Test Subject
#7 Old 23rd Mar 2018 at 9:15 AM
I gotta try this. Im having lots of trouble with my creations since windows 10 / ultimate collection. I had the graphics rule, but bodyshop and SimPE are still screwed. SimPE (latest version) keeps blanking my alphas and pixelizing my images. stuff I made before windows 10 look fine, its the stuff I create now that come out wierd. even meshes get all twisted when packaged on windows 10. my SimPE is mostly black. you cant read many of the words, I have to look at tutorials just to see what the check marks go to anyone know of a fix for this? I have sims 4 but I dont like it. I rather play my sims 2 where teens look like teens and they can ride horses and drive cars. I refuse to play sims 4 till they make teens, teen size again. its seems stupid to have 3 life stages using the same body. adult, young adult and teen all use the same body and are the same size.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Mar 2018 at 1:32 PM
Let us know if fixing the Graphics rules for your Bodyshop change anything for you, I do not have Windows 10, nor the Ultimate collection so I won't be the one whose able to helping further here.
I hope you get it sorted out, as a creator I would go nuts!

Test Subject
#9 Old 27th Jun 2018 at 6:54 PM
Does anyone have a fix for Body Shop exporting the files to 512x512? I'm trying to get into creating but I've got Windows 10 and Ultimate Collection and Body Shop is messing with my image files so they end up all blurry.
Test Subject
#10 Old 30th May 2020 at 2:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mikusagi
Does anyone have a fix for Body Shop exporting the files to 512x512? I'm trying to get into creating but I've got Windows 10 and Ultimate Collection and Body Shop is messing with my image files so they end up all blurry.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=90189
FIXED MY ISSUE
Test Subject
#11 Old 9th Aug 2023 at 8:53 PM
This is what I noticed was the issue but unfortunately I couldn’t get a solution yet. Some high poly items especially hair and dresses do not show up in bodyshop or the game so I used graphics rules maker to fix that. But then when it’s fixed, it causes bodyshop textures to be blury. Even with the fix you gave above, its the same for me, no difference.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 9th Aug 2023 at 9:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tristannndianga
This is what I noticed was the issue but unfortunately I couldn’t get a solution yet. Some high poly items especially hair and dresses do not show up in bodyshop or the game so I used graphics rules maker to fix that. But then when it’s fixed, it causes bodyshop textures to be blury. Even with the fix you gave above, its the same for me, no difference.

Can you post some pictures or example files? "Blurry" can mean a lot of things.

If the items show up invisible and they are very high-poly (25-30k polys and over), you need shaders enabled in your game. Shaders also enable various effects like bump maps, texture reflections and envcube maps, which aren't always optimized to the clothes/items, and can cause some weird issues.

Bodyshop projects have a tendency to end up slightly blurry, but this can (often) be fixed by reimporting non-blurry textures through SimPE.

Also make sure your ingame graphic settings are proper. You need "Sim/detail" and "texture detail" on high, otherwise you can expect some blurriness.

And of course, if you notice the textures are exporting with the wrong sizes, you need to fix GraphicRules, and redo the recolor project.
Test Subject
#13 Old 10th Aug 2023 at 1:33 PM Last edited by tristannndianga : 10th Aug 2023 at 1:45 PM. Reason: I added something
Default This is how it looks like in bodyshop.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Can you post some pictures or example files? "Blurry" can mean a lot of things.

If the items show up invisible and they are very high-poly (25-30k polys and over), you need shaders enabled in your game. Shaders also enable various effects like bump maps, texture reflections and envcube maps, which aren't always optimized to the clothes/items, and can cause some weird issues.

Bodyshop projects have a tendency to end up slightly blurry, but this can (often) be fixed by reimporting non-blurry textures through SimPE.

Also make sure your ingame graphic settings are proper. You need "Sim/detail" and "texture detail" on high, otherwise you can expect some blurriness.

And of course, if you notice the textures are exporting with the wrong sizes, you need to fix GraphicRules, and redo the recolor project.

In my game everything is perfect. My problem is in bodyshop.

In image 1, I don’t use graphics rules, my dress texture quality is high but then high poly items can not be viewed.
In image 2, I use graphics rules, my dress texture quality reduces but the high poly items can be viewed.
I even tried playing with the game tweaks in graphics rules but still no solution. Then I combined https://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Your-Bo...s-in-The-Sims-2 but still nothing.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#14 Old 10th Aug 2023 at 4:00 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 10th Aug 2023 at 4:19 PM.
In my game everything is perfect. My problem is in bodyshop.

In image 1, I don’t use graphics rules, my dress texture quality is high but then high poly items can not be viewed.
In image 2, I use graphics rules, my dress texture quality reduces but the high poly items can be viewed.
I even tried playing with the game tweaks in graphics rules but still no solution. Then I combined https://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Your-Bo...s-in-The-Sims-2 but still nothing.

Bottom picture has bump maps (possibly also shaders) showing, the one at the top doesn't. That's the only difference in detail level. Same with the invisible item, that one is due to shaders off.

You can turn off bump maps if those annoy you (I think there's a setting you can input manually after you've done the main settings in GRM). You can even delete those from individual outfits. Bump maps aren't always optimized to outfits since people don't always tend to fix them, and they can cause the outfits to look a bit strange, especially if they're made too strong or haven't been changed at all and really are for the wrong outfit.

If you're somewhat comfortable using SimPE, you can delete these lines in the TXMT for any outfit with issues:
stdMatNormalMapTextureEnabled
stdMatNormalMapTextureAddressingU
stdMatNormalMapTextureAddressingV
stdMatNormalMapTextureName
(commit after deletion)

along with the NormalMap TXTR.
(then save).

A bit more about bump maps and why they make the texure look like that when they aren't made properly: https://modthesims.info/t/268418

Here's how to enable bump maps - but technically also how to disable them (input "false" instead of "true" to disable bump maps, and you're good)
https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?ti...aps_and_Shaders
(could be an idea to backup your GraphicRules file first, if you haven't tried manual editing before).
Test Subject
#15 Old 10th Aug 2023 at 6:39 PM
Default I disabled the bump maps on the tutorial but still nothing.
Bottom picture has bump maps (possibly also shaders) showing, the one at the top doesn't. That's the only difference in detail level. Same with the invisible item, that one is due to shaders off.

You can turn off bump maps if those annoy you (I think there's a setting you can input manually after you've done the main settings in GRM). You can even delete those from individual outfits. Bump maps aren't always optimized to outfits since people don't always tend to fix them, and they can cause the outfits to look a bit strange, especially if they're made too strong or haven't been changed at all and really are for the wrong outfit.

If you're somewhat comfortable using SimPE, you can delete these lines in the TXMT for any outfit with issues:
stdMatNormalMapTextureEnabled
stdMatNormalMapTextureAddressingU
stdMatNormalMapTextureAddressingV
stdMatNormalMapTextureName
(commit after deletion)

along with the NormalMap TXTR.
(then save).

A bit more about bump maps and why they make the texure look like that when they aren't made properly: https://modthesims.info/t/268418

Here's how to enable bump maps - but technically also how to disable them (input "false" instead of "true" to disable bump maps, and you're good)
https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?ti...aps_and_Shaders
(could be an idea to backup your GraphicRules file first, if you haven't tried manual editing before).

I followed the tutorial and disabled the bump maps and shaders but still no difference in my bodyshop. But in the game everything is fine. I guess I would just reset graphics rules each time I am creating an outfit in shop or use high poly items.
But thanks for all the assist guys, I appreciate a lot.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 10th Aug 2023 at 6:46 PM
I followed the tutorial and disabled the bump maps and shaders but still no difference in my bodyshop. But in the game everything is fine. I guess I would just reset graphics rules each time I am creating an outfit in shop or use high poly items.
But thanks for all the assist guys, I appreciate a lot.

Make sure you change the CSConfig GraphicRules file for Bodyshop - the one for the game is in Config (the game and Bodyshop have two different files, you can have different settings for them).
Test Subject
#17 Old 10th Aug 2023 at 6:48 PM
Make sure you change the CSConfig GraphicRules file for Bodyshop - the one for the game is in Config (the game and Bodyshop have two different files, you can have different settings for them).

Yess, all the modifications I was doing for bodyshop. for my game, it was and is already perfect.
Test Subject
#18 Old 10th Aug 2023 at 7:16 PM
Guys, I fixed it. What i did was.
Inside my game, I used this cheat

boolProp bumpMapping false

I saw the difference in the game as it worked
And then I added it to my userstartup.cheat file.
Then I went to Program Files>The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection>Mansion and Garden>TSData>Res>CSConfig>Graphics Rules.sgr I just searched in the notepad “bumpmapping” and anywhere it said true, I changed to false. I then copied and the graphics rules.sgr file to the TSData>Res>CSConfig for all my other stuff and expansion packs. Thank you all so much for your help. Now I have peace. My bodyshop is the way I want💚