Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 5:44 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default So...default replacements. Do you need to do anything 'special' to download them?
Exactly what it says on the tin: Do you have to modify anything? Or do you just download them directly into your downloads folder and they override the defaults instantly?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 5:56 PM
They don't all work instantly or correctly (depends on a lot of things, from the skill of the creator to the other downloads in your game), but they're just like any other downloads as far as installing. I recommend putting them all in one folder containing nothing but defaults, as they can be a pain in the neck to track down if they don't work correctly, but it doesn't have any extra steps.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 5:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
They don't all work instantly or correctly (depends on a lot of things, from the skill of the creator to the other downloads in your game), but they're just like any other downloads as far as installing. I recommend putting them all in one folder containing nothing but defaults, as they can be a pain in the neck to track down if they don't work correctly, but it doesn't have any extra steps.

Right, thanks! I've used skins before that replaced easily, so what else replaces easily?
I've just downloaded SimPE on my 'test' game on my grandparents laptop, I understand this can be something vital to default replacements?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 6:26 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 13th Dec 2017 at 10:46 PM.
With default replacements you have to remember to only put in one for each item you want to replace ingame. More than that, and they can cause issues with each other. You can however use a texture-only replacement and a mesh-only replacement for the same item from different creators, as long as they're compatible.

Also keep in mind that default replacements (mesh replacements in particular) can interfere with non-default recolors of the same item, and may cause issues with the texture and/or mesh.

If you switch out defaults, it's a good idea to delete the cache files (they save a "ghost-copy" of recolors and meshes for faster loading, CAS items in particular) and sometimes also thumbnail files (if the wrong thumbs show ingame).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 9:59 PM
Anything and everything replaces easily, drop it in your download folder and it replaces. However..always a however. If you use a lot of defaults you will most likely run into a few issues. One being defaults that clash with other game meshes/cc meshes. Give you an example, one of the medical scrubs (nurse) in my game now has a naked middle. Some default which is obviously working on some other item has affected this other one. I also have a few invisible things like shirts floating around. Clothes are the ones that normally mess up because of more than one outfit using the same mesh.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~