Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 7:21 PM Last edited by Mikusagi : 30th Jun 2018 at 11:16 AM. Reason: I was helped and got a new problem because I'm a mess
Default Why does the image file change size?
Edit 2: I'm just gonna re-use this thread over and over again so I don't spam this forum! I'm trying to start meshing, I've previously only edited the image files with Body Shop, Krita and Gimp, but now I want to edit the meshes. I've followed this tutorial guide (if you know any others that you like, please let me know), after step 4 I opened the file in Body Shop and the picture was blurrier

And after finished all the steps I can see that the image file is only 128*128 when the normal for a shirt is 512*512. Where did I go wrong? I opened the image file in Krita and made it larger, to 512*512, but Body Shop wouldn't accept the image file until I made it smaller again.
Edit 2b: Okaj 512 shouldn't be the normal but it's normal for me! But I guess that's a problem too and explain why I've been getting blurry clothes. My guess is that every time I export an item it becomes 50% of the size so that's why it's 128. I've edited the text file so there's a 0 everywhere. This link says I need to do it for the expansion pack as well but I can only find one file called Graphic Rules.sgr on my whole computer. I have the ultimate collection via Origin, and I've got Windows 10.

Edit: Okay, I managed to make SimPE work but I screwed up again I think? I'm trying to follow this tutorial as the sims2-wiki isn't loading right now, but my SimPE window is looking like this . So I can't see the list?

I decided to learn meshing mostly because I don't like the lenght of the t-shirts for females (srsly Maxis really likes the "belly button out-look" ), I watched a few tutorials, read a few, downloaded SimPE which wouldn't work, figured oh well lets just use Milkshape, downloaded it, followed a tutorial to find out how to even open a mesh but ... I can't? I choose Import > Sims 2 whatevs, and it can't open package-files, which is all Body Shop gives me besides the bmp-files? I've seen several tutorials on how to edit existing meshes but no one really explains how to you know ... open them? Besides this one tutorial that obviously wasn't helpful at all.
Does anyone have any guidance for this lost newbie?

If I ever manage to make anything, you'll find it here: http://lodxolconxbsseub.tumblr.com/tagged/my-cc
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Jun 2018 at 4:36 AM
Bodyshop is only meant to make recolors and sims. If you want to make new meshes, you need SimPE, so your first priority would be to get SimPE to work.

There's no point in trying to open package files in Milkshape. You need SimPE to extract the meshes, and you'll also need to look at some tutorials (try the Unimesh tutorials in the Bodyshop tutorial section --> http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=444). You'll also need some plugins for Milkshape for it to recognize the SimPE formats (linked in the tutorials).

You need Bodyshop to make a recolor, SimPE to extract a mesh, Milkshape to modify the mesh (or Blender, but there are few TS2 tutorials for it so you'd be pretty much on your own), then SimPE to link the mesh to the recolor (possibly do other adjustments to the files), and then Bodyshop to make more recolors (if desired).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Jun 2018 at 9:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Bodyshop is only meant to make recolors and sims. If you want to make new meshes, you need SimPE, so your first priority would be to get SimPE to work.

There's no point in trying to open package files in Milkshape. You need SimPE to extract the meshes, and you'll also need to look at some tutorials (try the Unimesh tutorials in the Bodyshop tutorial section --> http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=444). You'll also need some plugins for Milkshape for it to recognize the SimPE formats (linked in the tutorials).

You need Bodyshop to make a recolor, SimPE to extract a mesh, Milkshape to modify the mesh (or Blender, but there are few TS2 tutorials for it so you'd be pretty much on your own), then SimPE to link the mesh to the recolor (possibly do other adjustments to the files), and then Bodyshop to make more recolors (if desired).

Thank you! You encouraged me to try to make SimPE work so well I've spent too many hours inside by my computer now during the few summer days this country gets, but SimPE seem to be working! But I screwed up again and this is what my window looks like: https://imgur.com/a/HcAtcZ7 So I can't se the "Type-list". It was there, I closed it (accidentally). I restarted the software and the window hadn't come back.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 25th Jun 2018 at 11:22 AM
Click the blue circle with a red X in the icon list across the top. This should reset the view and bring the Resource View back.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Jun 2018 at 6:00 PM
Thank you for all the help so far! I managed to edit a mesh! But when I opened it in Body Shop and exported it so the files end up in Projects, the image-file 128*128 in size when it should be 512*512! Why? This probably explains why this happened when I had finished Step 4 in this tutorial.

(the shirt on the right is the "original" (the picture is by me, but the mesh is by Maxis) )
Mad Poster
#6 Old 27th Jun 2018 at 6:05 PM
The finished files don't end up in the Project folder - they end up in SavedSims. DO NOT upload or use the Package files from the Project folders. They're only templates and won't show in your (or anyone else's) game.

If the file looks like this and is found in the Projects folder:
ProjectName.package
It's the wrong file.

If it looks like this (but with a different number in front) and is found in the SavedSims folder:
5fe638f0_ProjectName.package
it's the right file.

Outfits for child and above should be 1024x1024, not 512x512.
The blurry result can usually be fixed by following these steps:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...y_Shop_Projects
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Jun 2018 at 6:24 PM
The finished files don't end up in the Project folder - they end up in SavedSims. DO NOT upload or use the Package files from the Project folders. They're only templates and won't show in your (or anyone else's) game.

If the file looks like this and is found in the Projects folder:
ProjectName.package
It's the wrong file.

If it looks like this (but with a different number in front) and is found in the SavedSims folder:
5fe638f0_ProjectName.package
it's the right file.

But when I edit the image files, I always go to the projects folder?

And my other files for shirts are larger than this, but thanks for telling me it's 1024, I better look into this. There's gotta be something wrong with my Body Shop then. I tried taking a Maxis shirt again and doing the steps for editing the image files. Look what happened! I have not opened them in any image software, the only thing I did was use Body Shop, and they're already too small.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Jun 2018 at 6:27 PM
What I can find is that http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...y_Shop_Projects should help me but it won't load.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 27th Jun 2018 at 6:34 PM
Mad Poster
#10 Old 27th Jun 2018 at 8:52 PM
Not sure why the first link won't work, but this link should work. I think the Wikihow article you posted shows the same principle.

You can edit the images in the Project folder (that's what they're for, after all). I'm talking about the finished Package files - they always end up in SavedSims.

The Package file in the Project folder is a template, and lacks important data that gets added to the files that end up in SavedSims. You can reuse a project as many times as you want, because when you click the "import to game" button, a new file (now disconnected from the project) is created in Savedsims.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 30th Jun 2018 at 11:17 AM
Not sure why the first link won't work, but this link should work. I think the Wikihow article you posted shows the same principle.

You can edit the images in the Project folder (that's what they're for, after all). I'm talking about the finished Package files - they always end up in SavedSims.

The Package file in the Project folder is a template, and lacks important data that gets added to the files that end up in SavedSims. You can reuse a project as many times as you want, because when you click the "import to game" button, a new file (now disconnected from the project) is created in Savedsims.

Thank you, that's a much better link! But yeah it's the same principle. But it says there should be another file named the same, for the expansion pack, but I've only got one file with that name on my whole computer (I made a search). Maybe it's because I've got ultimate collection.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 22nd Jan 2020 at 7:03 PM

I just had to drop in and say thank you for sharing this tutorial, completely fixed my low-res body shop issues