Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 10:33 PM
Default trouble with normals?
So I'm working on a mesh atm, and the sleeves are borrowed from the eaxis tshirt mesh, pretty standard.
Everything is working fine, added fat and preg morphs and they didn't explode on me for once aha!
Exept there is some wierd shading on the left sleeve. definatley not texture as this is a maxis swimsuit texture that's just the temporary texture for now.
it doesn't appear on the other arm, and I can't see the problem in milkshape, at all.
I figured its a problem with the normals, but using the align normals tool seems to make it worse.
Any suggestions on how to deal with this? any links to tutorials? I've found a couple on here but no luck on using them to solve my problem.
Thank you in advance!
Screenshots

With love from Katsurin! ♥ ⃛ヾ(๑❛ ▿ ^๑ )
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 11:41 PM
Probably due to a problem when importing the mesh, where the normals ahve been combined. Usually happens if you've merged overlapping vertices where there's supposed to be two. You can edit this with the Extended Manual Edit (it's a plugin - you can find it mentioned in various tutorials). If that tool isn't helpful, separating the arm and the sleeve into two separate mesh parts and then regrouping them can help, because Milkshape handles normals better if vertices are separate. This can cause problems with morphs, though.

The align normals tool usually makes things worse for sims meshes, so try to avoid it. Takes some skill and practice to get that tool to work properly.
Scholar
#3 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 3:50 PM
At abrupt angles like that you need to 'split' the mesh so the arms and sleaves aren't actually joined anymore. I don't know how you'd go about that in Milkshape but in Blender you'd copy the arms, hide the copy, delete the arms then unhide the copy, then they are split with all of the normals and bones intact. You will then need to do the same for the morphs, hopefully without causing any exploding.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 3:41 PM
okee so I'll note that your answers are definitely useful ^^ although I was already using the extended manual edit, and I didn't cut at the sleeve edges so why the problem popped up there I have no clue, aha!
Although, I managed to solve this myself, somehow, by switching the gmdc to the last edited model, loading it in bodyshop, then switching it back to the most recent edit. then the shadow didn't show anymore. so I suppose it was something to do with the importing, or something, but that might be something to try for anyone who also gets this problem.

With love from Katsurin! ♥ ⃛ヾ(๑❛ ▿ ^๑ )