Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Aug 2018 at 5:02 PM
Default Hair Mesh problem
I finally got the facial archetype to work for my Bigfoot DR and now his hair has a mesh problem. DX

I'm trying to make him look like Chewbacca, but the hair mesh has a pointy bit on one side and the hair is sticking out from the face.

The other picture shows the hair how it's supposed to look. It's simply a recolour of a Maxis hair.

Where I think I got the problem was when I extracted the Maxis hair to put in the default; it had 3 mesh groups. Hair, hairalpha5 and hairalpha7. The Maxis Bigfoot hair has 2 mesh groups. Hair and alpha5. A mesh with differently named or a different number of mesh groups from the original Bigfoot hair simply doesn't show up properly, so I had to combine hairalpha5 and hairalpha7 and rename them. Would this cause the problem I've got? It was the only way I could think of to make the mesh work.

Thanks for any help.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Aug 2018 at 8:39 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Aug 2018 at 8:50 PM.
Open the mesh in Milkshape. Go to the "joints" menu (right side). Tick the "Draw vertices with bone colors" box. If any of the vertices on the left side of the mesh aren't pink, mark this vertex, select the "head" joint and 100%, then do "assign". If you're unsure which vertex is causing problems, click the ANIM button at the bottom. Unassigned or less-than-100% assigned vertices tend to move around or do weird things when the animation mode is activated. Don't move/rotate any joints.

The 3-5 vertices on the bottom of the "head" (scalp) group should be orange (50/50 neck+hair bone), otherwise you might get a neck gap. The rest of the hair should be pink (animated hairs sometimes have bone assignments for the hair bones and might have different colors, while long hairs are sometimes assigned to the spine/shoulders).

For the sticky-outy bits down the sides, could be some messy joint assignments. I'd need to take a look on the actual mesh to find out what's wrong. If you don't want it to be animated or follow the shoulders, select the hairalpha groups (NOT the "hair" group!) and set all the vertices to 100% head (should be pink).
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 5:08 AM
Thanks! I thought it couldn't possible have dodgy bone assignments as it was a direct export of a Maxis mesh. Turns out that there was a little white patch just where that piece stuck out. As for the sides, they aren't all pink. There's pink, then yellow, then blue. Bigfoot may have to just have windswept hair. XD