Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 10:05 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 22nd Feb 2018 at 11:34 PM.
Default BRIDGEPORT'88 - a YouTube series
Here's something I've wanted to do for a long, long time: I'm doing a TS3 series on YouTube. And I'm damn serious about it.

Update, 22/2/2018: Watch the first episode here!

It's going to be pretty different to the other ones you've seen. Because if you know me, you know that I either do things right, or I don't do them at all (mostly the latter, this time it's the former for once). So I'm making a thread about it.
Because I need feedback. And input. And suggestions. And validation. And attention.

So here's the deal. Have you ever seen a TS3 Let's Play and thought to yourself, "bloody hell, just get to the point already"? Have you ever seen a TV show from the late 1980s and wondered what it'd look like in The Sims? Have you ever looked at the Decades Stuff Pack and wondered who the hell would use any of this shit? Well that's what this post is about. I need to know if I'm on the right track. I'm just about done recording the first episode and trust me, it's not particularly good. I need a bit of guidance.

So here's some logotypes that aren't very good and some characters that aren't very interesting. I need a logo to make the whole thing look elaborate (because it IS going to be elaborate) and I need to flesh out these characters.
Revise their looks, create them something new to wear, draft up their backstories etc...

logotypes
characters

Here's a shortlist of things I'm going to need to make this thing work:
  • encouragement
  • time
  • assets (clothing, furniture, vehicles, decoration etc)
  • AND, longterm, ultimately, hopefully, I want to invest in fancy gear so that I'll be able to make higher-quality content. I've already bought me some software, and it wasn't free. So I'm thinking of setting up a Patreon.

So even after this first episode, I'd still like to know from you guys: What makes a Sims video fun, what makes a Sims video good? How should I approach this theme and this concept?
Thanks

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 6:58 AM
Sounds like you could potentially have something great here! I'll look forward to seeing your first episode.
For me, sims series are a lot more entertaining if the characters are treated like... well, characters. CaptainSauce and his Sims 4 series comes to mind; he has a basic personality in mind for each character, observes what they do, and if he does interfere it keeps in line with what that sim would do autonomously. Let your sims' traits be your guide!

Also, being able to maintain a positive attitude will keep people around a lot longer than a negative one.... at least if they're like me. Too much whining, too many put-downs, and I'm likely to never return to someone. Just food for thought. ^^
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Dec 2017 at 7:17 PM
Small status update: I'm now doing editing on the material that I have and recording extra tidbits where needed. That'll be done around New Years'. After that it's just a matter of designing and putting together the various visual effects and cinematics that I will be using to spice it up a bit. I'll also be doing some 80s-tastic CG effects, meaning it will have it look like it was made on 80s hardware. Not the easiest thing to do, considering just how far CG has come since 1988...

On a more interesting note, I've been able to determine the personalities and quirks of each character. They'll look and act a bit different after the first episode.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#4 Old 23rd Dec 2017 at 7:21 PM
You got my support.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 24th Dec 2017 at 2:29 AM
Looking forward to it.

I talk to myself but no one answers ;_;
Scholar
#6 Old 24th Dec 2017 at 3:10 AM
Does it take place in Bridgeport, or a real place for which you use Bridgeport? Also , is there any 80s simlish music? Like Bon SimJovi, Duransim Duransim, The Simpolice, INXSim, Princesim etc? If that Prince movie is any indication, I am looking forward to the big hair sims And I suspect you are going to use videotape lines as effect? Oh you need CC for that. Walkmans, VCR etc. And old consoles.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Dec 2017 at 1:59 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 24th Dec 2017 at 6:12 PM.
So I'm not doing "the 80s", I'm doing a Sims series that happens to be set in 1988. I'm going to have a little fun with the pop culture of the era, but I'm not going to rub it in everyone's face constantly.
But if someone can hook me up with some more hairstyles and pop music I can use without being murdered by a record company, that'd be great.

EDIT: YouTube playlist with reference material and inspo

insert signature here
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 6:00 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 1st Jan 2018 at 7:14 PM.
Guys, I just realized something.

While I was getting started on this Let's Play thing, I was also binge-watching Star Trek. And just the other day I noticed that all three of my leads look like characters from The Next Generation. I kind of can't not notice the resemblance now. Also, I keep calling the guy Michael even though his name's Jeremy.
It doesn't necessarily bug me, but it might get a bit distracting so I'm thinking of fixing these things.

Your thoughts?

EDIT: for reference

insert signature here
Test Subject
#9 Old 5th Jan 2018 at 10:52 AM
It would be a pretty neat reference/easter egg? But if it's distracting you maybe changing up their hair or clothes or something would help out? IDK, I've only ever been a casual fan of star trek so the similarities don't bother me much. :B
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 5th Jan 2018 at 11:58 AM
Yeah it's Laura I'm pretty happy with. As long as she [SPOILER ALERT] doesn't get murdered by a sentient oil slick, I'm fine with her. It's Jeremy who needs a better face and Isabella who needs bigger hair.

insert signature here
Scholar
#11 Old 6th Jan 2018 at 3:09 PM
I like this idea a lot! The late 80s had a pretty... unique aesthetic. And TBH, I'm also getting tired of the 21rst century, so a story set in a world with no smartphones, no Twitter, no Instagram... It's going to be refreshing.

There isn't a whole lot of 1988-ish Sims 3 CC out there, from what I've seen, but there are a couple of sets on TSR by a creator called Lutetia.

(PS: I'm planning on doing a retro-thing too, but in Sims 2. It's been in the back of my head for some time, just so you don't think I'm copying or making fun of your project.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 17th Jan 2018 at 1:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TigerAnne
I like this idea a lot! The late 80s had a pretty... unique aesthetic. And TBH, I'm also getting tired of the 21rst century, so a story set in a world with no smartphones, no Twitter, no Instagram... It's going to be refreshing.

Those were my thoughts exactly; I wanted to make a series on YouTube but I knew a lot of time was going to go into it...so it'd better be something special that's challenging to make. And the 2010s tend to get pretty boring.
But it's a challenge alright...I think each episode is going to be significantly better than the last one.

The 1985-1995 period, I feel, is a really interesting one because it's a point in recent history where technology kind of intersects with human creativity.
So what you get is that the kind of music, or the kind of art, or the kind of movies, that was being made was influenced by the whatever the latest and greatest tech had to offer. And that's really interesting to try to replicate, because there's a plethora of sounds and shapes and animations that don't really make any sort of sense that are there purely just 'cause whoever was making it could. (And I feel that if there is any one way to sum up the '80s, it's "just, y'know, because why the hell not") So I want to see if I can spice this whole thing up a bit with wacky furniture, patterns, outfits et cetera, and also if I can make use of jingles and little animations and stuff to kind of set the mood.

So the most important part is that it's fun and different. And I'm sure as hell having fun trying to make everything work. I'm constantly listening to music, watching music videos and commercials, putting together new outfits and trying to get in the right sort of mindset.

insert signature here
Field Researcher
#13 Old 17th Jan 2018 at 1:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TigerAnne

I recon this is one of the reasons why Stranger things is so popular. Of course it is a fantastic series on its own too but the late 80s aesthetic nails it.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 17th Jan 2018 at 3:17 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 18th Feb 2018 at 12:43 AM. Reason: no it's not, you just need to put more goddamn time into it
Stranger Things is early 80s, not late. 1983 I think. It's very different to what I'm going for in mood, in setting and in style. But visually it's a very good-looking show. I don't like period shows or movies that don't look convincingly retro, but that show definitely does. And you can tell by the fact that they did their intro the old way - with glass plates, lights, and a camera. Beats CGI 99 out of 100 times.

In the late 80s, on the other hand, titles were usually done digitally. Usually with a Paintbox or another graphically competent system. Example: Saved By The Bell.
Now personally I'm a big fan of the unique look of the Paintbox and I'm definitely going to be trying to create similar-looking graphics. I say "trying", because it's virtually impossible.

insert signature here
Field Researcher
#15 Old 17th Jan 2018 at 3:41 PM
Oh yes, the last season was set in 84, dunno why I thought it was 87.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 27th Jan 2018 at 11:55 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 21st Feb 2018 at 9:49 PM.
Small updaterino: pilot episode is nearly done....or it was, until I decided it wasn't quite complete. So in true fustercluck fashion, I'm now redoing the first 5-10 minutes of it despite already having finished everything that'll come after it.

EDIT: It'll be done no later than the 22nd. I pinky swear.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 12:37 AM
Pilot episode's nearing completion, but here's something for next episode that I've been on the fence about, that I'd like to run past you guys before making a decision.
How would you guys feel about me using advanced visual effects such as matting (and/or) compositing, CG accents, real-life archive footage, B-roll, et cetera, provided that they do not distract from the impromptu, non-scripted gameplay that an episode centers around?
I'd really like to be able to embellish locations in ways that are impossible or impractical in-engine. Say, a fake rabbit hole interior with a skyline matted into the background. Makes for much more exciting material than having to skip several Sim hours because everyone's at work, and it'd be easier than using a real high rise too.
But if you guys would rather have a raw, unedited, unglorified, unembellished Let's Play-esque deal I can probably make it work too. It just won't be half as good and I'll have others to blame for it.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 11:19 PM
IT'S DONE!

Good god that really took an age but this hot mess of an episode is finally done! It's far from perfect and I wish I could've done more with it but this is what I've managed to make and I hope VERY MUCH that you all will enjoy it.

insert signature here