Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 9:51 AM
How do I get back into the game after I left for a long time?
Gone for over a year. Was thinking about playing again but I am confused. I have to many questions. Like, there was once a rule addon/mods must be kept zipped up if they were scripted or TS4 would not read them. Is this still true?

My game was never taken off my computer. I took all my mods out and zipped them up and put them on the cloud. Then I ceded my game to my cousin to play when she came over to visit. She does not use mods and knows less than me about computers.

How do I start playing again and not corrupt her world with my gameplay? Do I just zip up the documents folder and set it aside and start a new world for myself like that?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 10:16 AM
None of my mods are zipped. You should be able to make a copy of her docs and put on your desktop or somewhere. And I may be wrong about this, and someone can advise, but in 3 we can rename the game to something else and the game will generate a new one. I think 4 does the same thing? Let me give that a try.

Just renamed mine to My Sims 4. Have to update Origin and who knows what else as I have not played in ages. This may take a bit.

Login verification..... what a crock of garbage.... LOL

And have to update the game.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#3 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 10:22 AM
The best thing of all is to have set up a seperate Windows account for your cousin. That takes care of you not interfering with each others' games or mod setup, as the mods and saves go into your individual My Documents folders. It's not too late to do it. Then, copy the whole of the My Documents/Electronic Arts into her new account's My Documents (if you can - windows might stop you. If so, just zip it and put it on a shared folder for her to pick up). I'd be inclined to leave the folder in your own My Documents as it is, otherwise the game will think you are a new player and start you off in the tutorial. You can delete her saves through the game's own loading and saving interface, that way it won't get confused.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 10:24 AM Last edited by daisylee : 14th Jun 2018 at 12:23 PM.
Very good point about avoiding the tutorial.

I probably should have updated my game before trying this. It is finalizing whatever it is doing. ------ Oops looks like it is ready. Will see what I have.

I have a totally clean game so yes it thinks I have never played. Now to put mine back instead.

Deleted the newly generated one and renamed mine and all is OK, so that does work in 4 as well as 3.

Played a bit and it has been so long I have forgotten way too much. A sim died in my family I had played for 8 generations. I have no idea where and cannot find her stone so there is now a family member all over the house doing everything normal, except she is dead! LOL Would like to move her to the town graveyard but have no idea how without a stone for her.