Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 6:19 PM
Default Sims 4 banned names from gallery
The disliked sims thread got a bit off topic so... what's up with them banning slightly suggestive names from uploading to the gallery?

ooh ee ooh a-ah ting-tang walla walla bing bang
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 6:29 PM
Apparently a lot of it is fixed now, but some names are still banned. I found an old thread about banned names on the EA website and it turns out Titania, Gunther, Cox, Nigel, Schilt, and Hale were all banned. I think most of these are allowed now, but Fuki, Fuuko and Fuka are banned. Any names referring to homosexuality are banned in Polish.

ooh ee ooh a-ah ting-tang walla walla bing bang
Field Researcher
#3 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 6:38 PM
It’s just the word filtering software they use for the gallery. It’s not that names are explicitly banned, they just contain instances of spelling identical or similar to words the software detects and blocks. Maxis can manually go in and set allowances for particular names, which I believe they have a few times. Not hard on their end, but they aren’t going to make any changes unless they’re presented with the issue.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 6:45 PM
Vladislaus Straud is banned too. I had to change his name in order to save my makeovers of him.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 7:42 PM
Why is his name banned? What's offensive about it?

I was creating a new sim the other night and hit the name randomizer, and "Fuchs" came up. So how is that one allowed but ones that aren't even nearly as suggestive as that are filtered?
dodgy builder
#6 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 8:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Elledee
Why is his name banned? What's offensive about it?

I was creating a new sim the other night and hit the name randomizer, and "Fuchs" came up. So how is that one allowed but ones that aren't even nearly as suggestive as that are filtered?

That might be 2 different things. It depends on if the automated software also works on the randomizer. If it doesn't it's probably a miss, and if you make a name like that, you might get into trouble further down the line.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 8:52 PM
I didn't use the last name, but it does seem silly that names that are available in game (Fuchs) could be flagged as offensive in the gallery. And I'm still trying to figure out why Vlad's name gets a hit?

I mentioned in the other thread that this thread spun off from, I do like to give my sims silly names but I won't upload them to the gallery, or if I do, I modify them to make them filter friendly.

I wouldn't upload a sim named Harry Balls to the gallery, for instance. :P
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 8:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Elledee

Probably because there has been a person on the sims team called Fuchs since Sims 2:
https://twitter.com/SimGuruSarahjen
Field Researcher
#9 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 9:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by drake_mccarty
It’s just the word filtering software they use for the gallery. It’s not that names are explicitly banned, they just contain instances of spelling identical or similar to words the software detects and blocks. Maxis can manually go in and set allowances for particular names, which I believe they have a few times. Not hard on their end, but they aren’t going to make any changes unless they’re presented with the issue.

True. The same happens when I pm with someone in my own language on the OF, the strangest words are plummed. Like our words for ‘reading’ (lezen) and for ‘off’ (af).