Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Aug 2017 at 8:58 PM
Default Mods organization and subfolders
How many subfolders deep will the game detect custom content? I know script mods have to either be in the mods folder or one subfolder deep, but what about custom content?
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 5th Aug 2017 at 3:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simsilikesims
How many subfolders deep will the game detect custom content? I know script mods have to either be in the mods folder or one subfolder deep, but what about custom content?

That is entirely dependant on how deep you tell your resource.cfg folder to read them. it is potentially infinite. Soft limit would be how long you can be bothered to type before you loose patience. hard limit would be the number of characters the file can support, or the number of lines the game can read at a time before crashing.

And there IS a character limit to Notepad++ which I learned when I tried to load pi to several million digits.

To have Resource.cfg read deeper subfolders, simply edit it from

"Priority 500
PackedFile *.package
PackedFile */*.package"

to something like

"Priority 500
PackedFile *.package
PackedFile */*.package
PackedFile */*/*.package
PackedFile */*/*/*.package
PackedFile */*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile */*/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile */*/*/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile */*/*/*/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile */*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*.package"

That ought to do ya'
Scholar
#3 Old 5th Aug 2017 at 11:04 AM
Generally, the less subfolders the better, as it's much quickier to load everything in a single folder than dozens of deep subfolders, to organise, simply renaming files is a can be a better option, design them to be viewed alphabetically, and use it to your advantage, you can make sure all your Hairs start with Hair_Filename01.package, or Makeup_Filename01.package, Shoes_Filename01.package, etc...

Easy to find things, and you don't even have to dig through subfolders.
Theorist
#4 Old 5th Aug 2017 at 11:25 AM
As someone who downloads and installs 25-100 pieces of CC at a time, there is NO way I'm taking the time to rename everything. xD

Personally my deepest subfolder is CAS>Hair>Toddler>Creator

I just gave her enough lines she'd never hit the bottom no matter how she organises. Whether she uses them is up to her xD
dodgy builder
#5 Old 6th Aug 2017 at 1:58 AM
I never upload sims, so who cares where it all comes from? I just put all the cas items in a folder and delete it when I see fit. Then I have a backup folder of course, but I only make one subfolder for cas items and that is by creator. For furniture and stuff I use in downloads I replace them with custom made folders for each house frequently. They are organized by creator and set.

I never remember what cas items I download anyway, so I don't see what benefit I will have from organizing it by hair and stuff. As soon as it's downloaded it's just a filename for me, and if it doesn't contain the creators name in the file, it usually ends up in a nameless folder and is never used. I have a basket on TSR and it can contain as much as 140 items. If they are not labeled properly it's easily forgotten.