1 people viewing
Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#14576 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 3:32 PM
Do you need a fridge to grill/cook on stove the fish you caught or anything in general? It's kinda unreal that you'd need a fridge for that. EA never heard of camping?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#14577 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 3:36 PM
No. You can cook fish straight out of inventory. You don't even need anything in your inventory to grill hot dogs, hamburgers, etc. on a community lot.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
#14578 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 3:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
No. You can cook fish straight out of inventory. You don't even need anything in your inventory to grill hot dogs, hamburgers, etc. on a community lot.

So you can only do that on comm lots, can't cook the fish without a fridge at home? And what did you need to be able to do that, certain cooking level and anything else?
Mad Poster
#14579 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 3:49 PM
You can grill fish from inventory where ever you are. I'm not sure about bypassing the fridge for cooking on the stove - click on the stove when there's fish in inventory, and find out.

Bass needs no cooking skill to prepare. Other fish require a few points, but I'm not sure how many. I believe rainbow trout requires the highest skill.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
#14580 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 4:06 PM
@Peni Griffin - That's weird. I have two kinds of bass in my inventory and I can't cook them on either grill or stove at home, there's no actions available for both, I can only cook one of the bass on a grill on comm lots atm.
Alchemist
#14581 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 4:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SabakuSasori
@Peni Griffin - That's weird. I have two kinds of bass in my inventory and I can't cook them on either grill or stove at home, there's no actions available for both, I can only cook one of the bass on a grill on comm lots atm.

I have a lot of rustic lots in my game. AFAIK, when camping on residential lots, my grills don't work unless there's a fridge on the lot, but I don't think I tried only fish. I like Raynuss's cooler for that here. It acts as a fridge, I think. Targus's fridge works, too. But, also, if I remember right, grills don't work until afternoon or later, so that may be what you're seeing.

Also, not sure if this is necessary, but I always stock the fridge with the fish for it to be used. Is that wrong? I don't think I'm using it straight from inventory.
Test Subject
#14582 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 4:22 PM
@Sunrader - Doesn't let me use the grill unless I place a big fridge, even the small fridge doesn't work. Guess I'll have to grill my fishies on comm lots only.
Mad Poster
#14583 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 4:27 PM
Sunrader, if you don't put them in the fridge, only the sim who has them in inventory can cook them. A sim with a bass in his inventory gets Bass and Squash as an option on the fridge even when no fish is in the fridge, a sim without it doesn't.

Alchemist
#14584 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 4:28 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 29th Jul 2018 at 4:45 PM.
@Sunrader - Doesn't let me use the grill unless I place a big fridge, even the small fridge doesn't work. Guess I'll have to grill my fishies on comm lots only.

That's sad. I'm almost sure I have one with Targus's little fridge, though. Or there are some invisible recolors. I think I last hid my Targus in Hexameter's Globetrotter.

Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Sunrader, if you don't put them in the fridge, only the sim who has them in inventory can cook them. A sim with a bass in his inventory gets Bass and Squash as an option on the fridge even when no fish is in the fridge, a sim without it doesn't.

Thanks for clearing that up!
Undead Molten Llama
#14585 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 5:39 PM

As others have said, you should be able to GRILL fish on a community lot or residential lot so long as the Sim who's grilling has fish in their inventory, no fridge required. Cooking fish doesn't require a fridge when grilling, but it DOES when cooking with a stove, and it'll also use up food points out of the fridge in that case. For this reason, if a household owns a grill, I never have Sims put fish in the fridge and always have them grill it.) So, if you're using a custom grill that's cloned from a stove rather than a grill, that might be the problem. Also, you need appropriate cooking skill to cook the fish. Bass requires no skill, but the others do.

(And also, if you're cooking at home on a stove, it has to be the right time of day, regardless of whether the fish is in inventory or the fridge. IIRC, the fish meals are only set as dinners, not as lunches, so it'll only be available between 4:30PM and I think 3AM, when breakfast hours kick in. If I'm wrong and they're also set as lunches, then fish meals will be available between 10:30AM and 3AM the following morning. I honestly don't remember if you can grill fish at any time on a residential lot. I don't usually click on grills during breakfast hours. )

If all of the above are satisfied and it's still not working as it should, then you've got something gumming up the works. My first guess would be a custom food with Issues(TM). They tend to screw up cooking functions.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Test Subject
#14586 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 6:38 PM
@iCad - The only way it let's me grill fish on residental lots if when I have a big fridge and a counter. On comm lots none of these are required, sim just plops the fish straight on the grill. I have no custom foods or custom items at all, mostly clothing, hair and QoL mods like macrotactics or smarter lights.
Undead Molten Llama
#14587 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 6:43 PM
@iCad - The only way it let's me grill fish on residental lots if when I have a big fridge and a counter. On comm lots none of these are required, sim just plops the fish straight on the grill. I have no custom foods or custom items at all, mostly clothing, hair and QoL mods like macrotactics or smarter lights.

Weird. I can grill fish fine on residential lots so long as the fish is in the griller's inventory, not in the fridge. Now I'm wondering if I have something that enables that! Can't imagine what, if so...

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Test Subject
#14588 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 7:16 PM
@iCad - There are mods enabling fireplaces, bonfires and/or grills to cook certain foods without a stove and fridge, like hotdogs but I removed those mods since they conflict with normal stoves.
Forum Resident
#14589 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 7:33 PM Last edited by OnayaW : 29th Jul 2018 at 7:51 PM.
i've realized really late how to turn the university game pack off and it means my main hood already have a university, unfortunately I am very aware that turning it off now would cause corruption, even if I get the single student to quit. At this point I wish there at least was some method so I could reduce the curroption but still keep my sims. The worst I could think of happening... idk? :/ I don't really know a way where I can safely do this unless there was a safe way to delete university memories?

Obviously if not I will have to survive with my sims constantly wailing over they never went to university :/
(or is there a mod alone there stop sims from getting the bad memory? I found a mod but I don't want all the other in the package :/)

I build small houses *^*
Undead Molten Llama
#14590 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 8:03 PM Last edited by iCad : 29th Jul 2018 at 8:34 PM.
@Sunrader
The Visitor Controller DOES do some things globally. For instance, it globally bans Crumplebottom on downtown lots and also the garden club lady and the gypsy showing up when you first open a new residential lot. If you want those things, you have to allow them manually on a lot-by-lot basis. I'm going to guess that a later version of the VC globally banned any Sim with a prisoner tag but Inge never changed the wording on the Simlogical site. But like I said, that's just my guess.

@SabakuSasori
I don't *think* I have any such mod, but...maybe I do.

@OnayaW
I'm pretty sure you can delete a Uni, but only if you have more than one in the neighborhood. It won't allow it if you only have one. Which is probably not what you want. I'm not sure why that's the case because you can safely delete any other kind of subhood and any playable families just get dumped into the family bin. I'm guessing with Unis it's the dormies/professors that are the issue, since under normal circumstances those can't exist in a non-uni subhood so they can't be dumped elsewhere.

(EDIT: You CAN uninstall Uni entirely, if you want and you're not using the UC. But, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to use existing hoods where you'd had a Uni attached, given relationships with dormies and professors and whatnot.)

In any case, the wailing only lasts for a Sim-day, at most, and you can delete memories in SimPE, if you want. Personally, I don't care about a Sim's memories, but I know some people can be pretty fussy about them.

Mad Poster
#14591 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 9:56 PM
So, I saw a townie with a broken hair, which I thought was a broken CC hair, but which turned out to be a broken Maxis hair:

I'm certain this wasn't broken before, because this particular sim has a history with playables in my neighborhood, and I think I would have noticed before. However, the brokenness looks similar to a CC hair that I have which works fine:

I believe I installed this relatively recently. Could it be that this CC hair is somehow breaking the Maxis hair? I'm not particularly attached to that Maxis hair, but it would be at least nice to know.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#14592 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 10:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Could it be that this CC hair is somehow breaking the Maxis hair?

I've seen that happen before, so it is possible. backup all files and savegames, delete caches and test with that particular custom hair removed.
Mad Poster
#14593 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 10:19 PM
Is there a way to fix the CC hair if it turns out to be the culprit? On balance, I like the CC hair better than the Maxis hair that broke, so I'm inclined to just keep it in my game anyway.
Space Pony
#14594 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 1:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by OnayaW
I wonder how many townies you need to make from a totally clean hood for it to function?

Sorry if this is allready said and I missed it, but you do need townies IF you are going to adopt a baby. (not sure about a toddler, been for so long I have adpbted I do not even remember what age groups you can adopt in vanilla)

If you do not have any adult townies and you try to adopt a baby the sw's car will come to lot and vanish away right after , and if playing with testingcheats you will get an error saying something about missing towniepool.

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
Mad Poster
#14595 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 1:20 AM
You can get around that by creating some babies/toddlers/children yourself and directly adding them to the adoption pool. Then the game doesn't have to generate a new sim.
Space Pony
#14596 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 1:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
You can get around that by creating some babies/toddlers/children yourself and directly adding them to the adoption pool. Then the game doesn't have to generate a new sim.

Yes I know Only mentioned it just in case

I found out about it when I once tried to adopt a baby and wondered why the sw left right away I assumed it was some mods I had , but it was simply the lack of townies.

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14597 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 1:35 AM
You can also bypass the games adoption pool altogether and adopt from your own playable orphanage.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#14598 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 2:01 AM
Is there a way to force hairstyles to appear for all outfits? Because even when I have it set to all outfits, some hairstyles still change to something else when I move to, say, Formal, and it's driving me insane.

I'm thinking all through the night
I could be yours just like before
Rewrite another try
'Cause we've had the loneliest time
Mad Poster
#14599 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 2:16 AM
You'll need a tool like Wardrobe Wrangler, where you can access the flags that make a hair or outfit recognized as available for all states, and set the flags the way you want them.

Forum Resident
#14600 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 2:56 AM
Do all sims have a favorite hobby? I noticed there was a toddler who already had the cuisine one highlighted, but some of my adults don't seem to have one. I was checking with the batbox and it indicated that all of the options could be chosen, meaning that currently none of the hobbies are selected?
Page 584 of 1345