Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 1:15 PM
Default Screenshots Sets
This question is mostly (I guess) for CC creators but I think everyone can lend a hand.
When you take your screenshots of your sims or objects what kind of setup do you use?
I personally use this template that I called "The Room (tm)", a picture is in the attachments, the lightning is distributed rather evenly guaranteeing illumination without too much light in the face of a sim, the green carpet shows the "useful" area for screenshots, and in the opposite side of the room you can fit all the poseboxes, mirrors and clothes hangers you could need. It's already the third revision of it yet I think it can still be improved (maybe it's a bit too dark still?), and I think I can learn a thing or two from more experienced players than me. Also, I was thinking to expand it vertically with another floor worth of wall, but I'm unsure how lightning is handled by the engine.
Screenshots

Slowly moving steps into basic TS2 modding.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 2:03 PM
I don't do anything except use the tab key to zoom in. Consequently, I probably don't have the best screenshots.
Test Subject
#3 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 3:33 PM
I usually just use a screenshot rug, or a very basic wall set up. I'm trying to be more consistent with my previews now, so usually just the screenshot rug

Laugh as much as you choose, but you will not laugh me out of my opinion.

Alchemist
#4 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 3:52 PM
I usually use a screenshot rug, set the season to spring and knock out a couple of walls to let the light in. That is when I don't cajole someone else into doing it for me (because mine aren't really great).
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 5:06 PM
I have a lot in my testing hood (actually two - one residential, one community though I use the residential one mostly) which is basically a set with a building with one long and two shorter walls and some ceiling. I use it in practically all the screenies I take of stuff for upload. I dress it up for different things but if you look at my downloads here with pictures of rooms, it's basically the same room you're looking at. I piled a whole pile of plants on the other side of the walls so that if I place windows, you can see a garden through them. I don't put in the fourth wall (heh) because with a missing wall you get outside sunlight lighting stuff up which means I only need a couple of lights (which get moved around) to light up specific features if you need them.

This is it here

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#6 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 5:10 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Dec 2017 at 5:20 PM.
I just use a (usually smaller) room with windows and/or lights from different directions. Then I adjust the lights/windows according to what looks best for the picture. I mostly use the flat, white ceiling lights, and occasionally use candles for a warmer look - but this depends on the setup.

For backgrounds it depends what I'm after. Walls in my game tend to get a stripey look, so if I can use other things as backgrounds, I will.

I mostly aim for a "little-to-no photoshop needed" setup, only doing minor adjustments for most of my pictures (adding a frame, a little bit of sharpening and brightness/contrast).

I find sunlight often ruin the shadows in sims' faces (from above instead of coming from the side), so I try to avoid outside pics unless they're meant to be outside. Plus, if you make a 3-walled room, lights don't do much unless it's night-time.

Night-time with lights (even indoors without windows) can create some exciting pictures, but do add a blue glow to the pictures.
Scholar
#7 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 7:03 PM
Here's the setup on one of my new studios I made for photo shooting. I made a custom green screen wall and floor to take pictures, in case I needed to Photoshop with different backgrounds. It also has lighting on the ceiling so that I can move the camera to different spots without seeing a studio lamp. Also, with the multiple lights on the ceiling, I can turn on some key lights to control how I display the object or Sim.

As for pose boxes, I put the pose boxes on the sides, along with some other miscellaneous objects as part of the studio environment. Because I made a wall or pose boxes by converting some existing ones, I was able to save studio space, and have the convenience of moving 18 pose boxes at a time, rather than one box 18 times.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 9:00 PM
I used real buildings with large rooms. My sim who is a Librarian I did up a room inside of an actual library lot, second floor. My recolour is shot inside a room on the ground floor of one of my own starter houses with a large lounge room area. I spent some time trying to get wall cover colour and lighting the way I liked. I tried an open set like maxon has but found the light too bright for the look that I wanted. All my other uplaods here are lots so they don't need sets.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 9:05 PM
I am not too fond of the three walls solution, but seems reasonable with the sethour cheat in place to take pictures with natural lights.
Also yes, I remember those greenscreen and lights mods, you did a great job! I prefer to be as CC free as possible but I'd definitively use some of them on building sets, and I sure use that posebox shelf, very useful.
As time goes by I'm sure I will find the right spot for my room, but seeing what other people do will help me for sure.

Slowly moving steps into basic TS2 modding.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 9:18 PM
I hadn't thought of the set hour cheat, but that and setting the season could both change the lighting.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#11 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 1:58 PM
You only need that though if you are running the lots in live mode. My testing lots are in a completely empty hood. I don't really do sim stuff so I guess that's ok. If you're making sims, it's a different matter.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 2:08 PM
In the past my setups looked more or less like yours, though I personally prefer outdoor with summer and sun because I find that provides sufficient light without the oversaturation that actual lamps often cause (if you look at my old pictures it's the ones with the yellow walls, the white flower wall painting and the same plant with blue pot). But these days I use my own main game whenever I can. Screenshots are tedious and not something I enjoy, and I will never have the creativity required to set up an elaborate stage just for screenshots, which means they'll all be bland. If I use my main game to take the pictures, the environment will be far more interesting and visually pleasing since I actually care what my main game looks like. For mod uploads I also go through existing pictures and see if anything fits. I document my game with fraps as I play, so I can look back later and reminisce. Makes screenshots less of a chore if I can re-purpose an existing one. Downside is the lighting is often not as good as it should be, since I don't focus on that when playing, but I've decided I'd rather have an interesting nice looking picture that is slightly dark than a well-lit one that is more boring.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#13 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 3:20 PM
I'm usually more focussed on showing what I made clearly - I guess it depends what you want to do. The other thing is I don't play so much these days and Little Carping is in a state of transformation anyway atm.