Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Aug 2019 at 7:32 AM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 5th Sep 2019 at 10:58 PM.
Default Weird rules in your house.
I bet growing up or even as an adult, you have rules to abide by.

Here is a few in my household.

1. No showering before the sun is up.
My parents' circadian rhythm is different than mine. My mother is asleep after settling down for the rest of the night and my father gets up in early morning hours to start work at the patisserie. It's actually noisy to get the water up to hot because it's at full blast on the tub faucet, then when I prep it, there's a whine and the rush of the pipes. "DON'T WAKE DADDY!" takes on new meaning in this house. (He doesn't perform well at the patisserie when deprived of sleep. See also The Cake Mix in Souffle Liners Incident)

2. Do not shower when someone else's is in use.
This is more a water pressure system issue. As our house complies with ecologically sound practices, this makes it hard to use the shower whenever you need it.

3. Don't set the stove on fire.
Actually, I have at least 2-3 times. I've been operating fire extinguishers since 2007. Only problem is cleaning up the powder used for electric range fires. I suffer due to the inhalation by accident. That's why. Easy part is pull, aim and extinguish. Cleaning up the powder for dousing the fire is the hard part.

4. Don't lock the cat out in the rain.
That one time, we left her outside in the rain overnight. Did not forgive us for a while.

5. Keep noise to a low din.
This dates back to my years living in apartments. I had to keep the sound on my computer and\or TV loud enough to be heard but not loud enough to be heard by neighbors. This was my case during 6th grade elementary IQ test cram sessions (Results: I could have taught at a university in the caliber of the Big Ten.)

6. If anything wired is not in use, like lights or electronics, shut it off\down.
The electric bill came today. Again, the goal was more to stick to the house's ecological practices. Most of the bulbs in the lighting are those coils with low wattage after we ran out of the traditional bulbs.

You get the point.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 31st Aug 2019 at 8:17 PM
Our weird rules are things like
-No smoking in the house
-don't wear shoes indoors
-no noise after 10pm
-no trash throwing out the window etc.
What the hell mom I'm like 23 now I can do whaddiwant

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#3 Old 31st Aug 2019 at 8:42 PM
None of the above sound weird. They're just sensible, that's all.

Mom has a weird one - don't put anything in the dishwasher (because that's her job, and she's got a very particular way to do it, so I've given up trying).
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#4 Old 31st Aug 2019 at 8:59 PM Last edited by mustluvcatz : 1st Sep 2019 at 12:09 AM. Reason: extra words snuck in there, lol
If you want to help with the laundry - don't leave it in the dryer after it's done. OR, if you do, DO NOT take my clothes out with wrinkles. I hate wrinkled clothes and will make you put them back in the dryer to run it again to get rid of the wrinkles. (Which I hate having to do, electricity and all.) If you want to wear wrinkled clothes, go for it. But not this MLC.
If you unplug something that should be plugged in most of the time (like a lamp we use every day), plug it back in when you're done. Does that "rule" work? Hell no, I'm constantly plugging my "work" lamp back in and it drives me nuts!)
DO NOT play Jenga with the garbage cans. If it's gotten to that point, unlazy yourself and take it out. (Again, does that work? Sometimes. I'm known to either take the lid off the one can and drop it on the ground as loudly as I can or drag it/theotherone into the living room. That usually gets their attention.)
No stomping/running down the stairs because I WILL make you go back up/back down them quietly. (One of my really big pet peeves. It just sounds so awful.)
Common sense but - if you make a mess, clean up or I'll be hunting you down and making you clean up. I'm Mom, not a maid.
And - if you're going to leave a dish in the sink, may the powers that be help you if you don't rinse it out first, lol. And you best be making sure there's no food in the sink!

Nothing weird. Just a mean MLC putting her foot down because this MY house after all. If they want to live in a pig sty they're more than welcome to get their own houses and move on out. :D
Theorist
#5 Old 1st Sep 2019 at 9:18 PM
Don't leave dairy products out too long especially in summer. It's one of my pet peeves. Don't use the shower too long (still working on this one with our son who seems to enter Narnia and disappear in the bathroom). Fortunately in this new apt. heat and hot water are included in the rent. (more the fools them-they haven't met super shower man). Shut off all lights asap. Throw out all bathroom rubbish/bedroom rubbish daily. Vacuum every day (got into this habit when we had the long haired dog). Take out the garbage to the dumpster/skip at least once a day (more if something I made smells weird). I don't like leftover cooking smells/garbage sitting in the house. Don't use any non natural cleaners. No sprays, no polishes, no lysol, none of that. We use natural items (baking soda/white vinegar/Dawn dish soap, rubbing alcohol) NO smoking EVER. (I hate it and get migraines). Allow me to think I am the benign dictator and go off on rants. Be tolerant of a cranky husband/father on Friday night when he is tired from work.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Scholar
#6 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 5:19 PM
Use the rubbery scrapey thing (dunno the name in English) to get water off the sides of the sink/ shower door. Mum is mega serious about this cos sibling also has the ability to flood the bathroom which doesn't make any sense considering the layout??
Food storage containers need to be changed the less food they contain. E.g. 1st day leftovers go in the big box, on the 2nd day they get moved to a smaller box if there's less food (mum at dad: "because our fridge is small so we need to maximise space because you chose this stupid fridge when we put the new kitchen in") I can quote this and sound exactly like mum when I say this because she says this pretty much every day
Don't fold towels into four (a square) fold them in to three (so its a rectangle) because space.
Don't leave things on the washing line after they've dried, put everything back asap. Don't leave things in the drier and definitely dont leave things in the washing machine.
Close the fucking breadbag. This is aimed specifically at the sibling who seems to love keeping bags of bread (or crips, cookies etc) open so they get all stale from being out in the open.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 9:30 PM
Don't pour tap water into a kettle. Use a water filter (Polish: oczyszczacz wody) instead and then pour the water into a kettle. I've got this in my kitchen and there was one in my previous work too.

If I lived on Mars, I would be pleased because the Earth is not my cup of tea
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 9:49 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 14th Sep 2019 at 5:19 PM.
Rule 7 I forgotten, but was reminded: DON'T KILL THE SPIDERS!

In our house, if you squish a spider, you will receive a bug bite. Evidently, news travels fast in the countryside when a spider is smashed.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

Theorist
#9 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 11:50 PM
Noa1500:
Use the rubbery scrapey thing:
This is called a squeegee in English.
Sorry, had to reply--it's the teacher in me.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Mad Poster
#10 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 11:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PANDAQUEEN
Rule I forgotten, but was reminded: DON'T KILL THE SPIDERS! .

This was the rule that came to mind when I saw the thread title. I don't believe in taking a life, no matter how small.

When my brother lived with us he thought all my rules were weird. I'd say they were quite normal though. Things like - last one to fill the washing machine does the laundry, no loud noises after dark, etc. Weirdest was probably "No food upstairs" but that was because I was tired of removing chocolate bar wrappers or half-moldy fruit from his bedroom after complaining for weeks about him doing it himself. In fact I found a lunch box a week ago with what looks like the remnants of a banana (based on the sticker on what was basically black goo) that had been in his wardrobe for atleast 6 months

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 9th Sep 2019 at 2:28 AM
NEW RULE TODAY
8. If we have a stockpile of drinks, like fruit essence water, seltzer, sports drink, soda, bottled tea that covers the storage table, no more can be purchased until the drinks are all gone through drinking them.

Well, I won't be having a repeat of last year's dehydration episode.

Field Researcher
#12 Old 10th Sep 2019 at 9:32 PM
Rule I forgotten, but was reminded: DON'T KILL THE SPIDERS!

We don't kill the spiders either. Unfortunately, someone forget to tell the ferret... RIP Steve the Spider.

We also have a no stay-over rule. I mean, if someone is sleeping in the spare room then where am I gonna sleep when I'm being tortured by snoring?

.:: B2SIMS.com ::.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 14th Sep 2019 at 5:17 PM
9. Do not burn scented candles.
As much as it seems an extension of Rule 3 in my house, it is only partially true. The scented candles irritated my parents and attract bugs during the 9 active months of the year.

This also explains why I usually buy only the bath bombs from those types of stores selling frilly scented things. At least with a bath bombed bathroom, you can switch the vent on!

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 26th Sep 2019 at 12:07 AM
Rule 7 I forgotten, but was reminded: DON'T KILL THE SPIDERS!

In our house, if you squish a spider, you will receive a bug bite. Evidently, news travels fast in the countryside when a spider is smashed.

Well, Big Lenny bit me. Big Lenny is roughly tarantula sized and strikes quickly at nightfall. Few have seen Big Lenny, but his vengeful wrath is felt by those who squish spiders.

The bite was more like a welt in size. Like a silver dollar coin for those in the US.

All I need is topical Benadryl and somewhere to lay with the anointed bite facing up.

Sorry, Big Lenny, but you are no match for modern medicine!

Space Pony
#15 Old 26th Sep 2019 at 6:37 AM
I am married and out, but when I was growing up, back when I had 2 parents there were rules. No smoking inside, no shoes inside, no drugs allowed, no noise between 11 and 6, no underage drinking, no sleepovers, if you talked back you bled or got bruised, no screaming, children had no business yelling, children gave up their rooms for company, you ate what you were given, and you did your homework or you got a beating. Punishment was generally getting the hell beat out of you.

Dag-Dag
Instructor
#16 Old 16th Oct 2019 at 9:26 PM Last edited by sailorplanet97 : 16th Oct 2019 at 11:37 PM. Reason: to get things right
i have a few rules
not to stay up so late at night (i had the times i had punishments from my dad)

no lying, (i had those times that i was lying to both of my parents, like the times i deactivate facebook and maked an excuse that i was done with it, and the times i used to hurt myself, i'm 4 years clean now though, they both thought i did it for attention, but i know for like a year that you can't let everything out so you think you can solve it by doing self-harm, my parents were angry with me from lying)

don't sneak to get chocolates, (i got caught to both my parents but mostly my dad since he critices me about how fat you could get, i was only like, i don't know, 14? so i didn't knew what's right and what's wrong)

don't gives a big mouth (especially my dad since he's strict and might punish me)

you do as they say (even simple with can you give milk for examble, i had those times i wasn't in the mood for my dad to get cola, he got very angry)

don't discuss anything from dad even when you disagrees with his opinion (i quite often have times i disagrees with my dad, and other times i don't see anything good, negative about anything and my dad didn't listen to me and tells me to stop with my negativity and being pessimistic, i always get interrupted once i say bad things about someone or other stuff, and once i'm angry i say things i don't mean it, so that's a pretty good combination when both me and my dad gets angry or grumpy (not), ever since then i only talk to my mom when i'm not in the mood or when she disagrees with me or otherwise, she atleast won't judge me, maybe it's girls stuff my dad doesn't want to hear it, atleast part of it)

i don't have anything else to share this, maybe who knows something comes up just so i can share it

some of them sure i get it but some other rules it's weird, i don't always follow the rules, like the chocolate one's what if i don't feel well, besides my mom give it to me sometimes
most of the rules was made from my dad, he's stricter then my mom, my mom is an okay person (sort of an open person to share my problems to her and sometimes she can relate to it and explains me how she was like me and share her stuff to me)

and like i said she won't judge me and understands me more then my dad, and sometimes i HAVE to lie to my dad, mom or both of them just so i do what's best for myself or to get out of the situation
and sometimes i'm both of it (i don't want the others to get involved from my problems)
Scholar
#17 Old 14th Nov 2019 at 8:54 PM
New rule: If you're out near the shops dont come back unless you have a baguette. Also if you're in the house and the baguette is (almost) finished, go buy another.

Of course no one really follows this rule except mum cos its her rule (like pretty much all the others) but this one is a bit much
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 14th Nov 2019 at 9:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Noa1500
New rule: If you're out near the shops dont come back unless you have a baguette. Also if you're in the house and the baguette is (almost) finished, go buy another.

Of course no one really follows this rule except mum cos its her rule (like pretty much all the others) but this one is a bit much

Baguettes, you say? With us, it's milk. My mother like cold cereal after a long shift at the warehouse.

Not to mention, I have been taking my meds with flavored milk since I was put on the regimen when I was 8 years old for Ritalin's main target: ADD\ADHD.

I normally don't take my pills straight with water unless I have medical procedures at buttcrack o'clock. But even then, I can be fussy about water and prefer that water from the Fijian aquifer.