Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Sep 2019 at 10:44 PM Last edited by kslibra : 21st Sep 2019 at 11:58 PM.
Default Windows 10 and opening Sims3pack files
I'll preface this by saying that I've been playing TS3 since inception, which is a long time to take things for granted. Additionally, the computer I've been using is literally 11 years old running on Vista. I've bought a new PC with Windows 10 and I've never been more frustrated (which says a lot because Vista wasn't easy AND I actually built that other PC)! The point is, I've not had to download anything new for years and there's likely much I've forgotten, so please bear with me.

I clicked to open a Sims3Pack file today and it opened the Launcher. That would be a big no. But I honestly couldn't remember what opened Sims3pack files, because of the whole decade thing. I searched and found that Custard did - I had Custard before so I'll accept that as a possibility. The thing is, I already had it downloaded and installed (because I knew I used it before), but those darn packs are still trying to use Launcher. I right clicked on the pack and chose "Open With" but the only program up there is Launcher and the only option I have is for it to search Microsoft Apps! (Which is why I'm missing Vista and kinda hating on Win10)

Anyway, I'm sure there are tons of people who know what I should be doing and I'm hoping you'll take pity on me and tell me what program I should use and, if it is Custard, how I can get the Sims3pack files to open automatically instead of my having to go to Custard and then have to go through the menus just to find that file.

Much thanks!

I just wanted to edit this because of other posts where the intent is misconstrued. On my old PC, I could double-click on a Sims3Pack and it would open. After reading through on Custard, that's probably not what was being used because it says you can't do an "Open With" option. Seems like I must have had another program? But with the Sims 3 not being supported any longer, it isn't as easy to find information as it once was - searches return info from "file extension" type of sites that seem to discuss what they are and not what to do about it - thus why I'm coming here. Even questions that ask how to open Sims3Packs are being answered with "first you need to download and extract". I know how to extract and Dashboard is working fine. But I do like to take a peek in the original format because, (a) sometimes I decide I don't want to bother, and (b) sometimes I see a problem, like that freakin' dresser. I know these questions are old and redundant but I just want to clarify that I'm asking because there isn't that much info out there any longer and having used these programs without thinking (paying attention) for a decade, I cannot for the life of me remember what I used. Thx again.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Sep 2019 at 1:38 AM
You can open sims3packs with TSRW, and package files with S3PE.

And I feel you about switching from Vista to Win10. U_U I went through the same headache. Plus I effed up REAL bad by having to reinstall all my games digitally, which landed me with the rectal ulcer otherwise known as Origin. >_<
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Sep 2019 at 4:11 AM Last edited by kslibra : 23rd Sep 2019 at 4:22 AM.
Just wanted to say that whomever thought it was "cute" to click on "disagree" - That's just sad. There is nothing to disagree with because this is about me and not you.

It is an absolute fact that Custard doesn't work the right way with Windows 10. FACT. Nothing to disagree with there. I've done some more research into and it seems like the only reason it no longer works as it used to is because it doesn't install to the PC. Win10 seems to only recognize "apps" if they are actually installed on the PC. So, until Delphy, or whomever, makes this a program that can be run from an installation and not from an .exe, then Custard absolutely will not do what it did before.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 23rd Sep 2019 at 4:16 AM
Default Additional question - what's that magnifying glass that seems the only way to explore
Quote: Originally posted by murfee
You can open sims3packs with TSRW, and package files with S3PE.

And I feel you about switching from Vista to Win10. U_U I went through the same headache. Plus I effed up REAL bad by having to reinstall all my games digitally, which landed me with the rectal ulcer otherwise known as Origin. >_<

I'll have to do some research to find out what TSRW is. It's not a program I've used before.

BTW, I did notice something new - now there's a magnifying glass when I pan out from my home...I can't just take off to explore the neighborhood it seems. Is that something new and is there a way to disable it?

I was pretty much stuck with Origin because I bought several of the packs through them. Some of my other EA games I've had to go through Origin because they won't install otherwise. I did notice something new - now there's a magnifying glass when I pan out from my home...I can't just take off to explore the neighborhood it seems.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 24th Sep 2019 at 12:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kslibra
I'll have to do some research to find out what TSRW is. It's not a program I've used before.

TSRW (The Sims Resource Workshop) is here: https://www.thesimsresource.com/workshop
It's a CC-makiing program, but it also works for opening up sims3packs.
Once you have it installed, you can start a New Project > New Import > Browse to sims3pack file > click Ok/Next, and it will load the file for you, so you can view and edit the 3d model, textures, in-game categories, etc.

BTW, I did notice something new - now there's a magnifying glass when I pan out from my home...I can't just take off to explore the neighborhood it seems. Is that something new and is there a way to disable it?

Can you press the M button to pan out to the map view? I rarely use the buttons on the screen; I prefer keyboard shortcuts.

I was pretty much stuck with Origin because I bought several of the packs through them. Some of my other EA games I've had to go through Origin because they won't install otherwise.

IKR. Frikkin EA, frikkin DRMs, frikkin Secu-Rom.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 12th Oct 2019 at 10:17 PM
Default Still looking for solution
TSRW (The Sims Resource Workshop) is here: https://www.thesimsresource.com/workshop
It's a CC-makiing program, but it also works for opening up sims3packs.
Once you have it installed, you can start a New Project > New Import > Browse to sims3pack file > click Ok/Next, and it will load the file for you, so you can view and edit the 3d model, textures, in-game categories, etc.

Can you press the M button to pan out to the map view? I rarely use the buttons on the screen; I prefer keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks for responding!

Well, I can get the sims3pack to open in S3PE IF I first open S3PE and then open the sims3pack in the program so your "shortcut" doesn't save time. I'm trying to find a way to simply click on the sims3pack and have it open automatically in a program that will allow me to look in, just like S3PE did prior to Windows 10.

And I'm not talking about the buttons on the bottom menu. I've noticed with Windows 10 that, if I zoom out from the property, it will only zoom so far and then a magnifying glass shows up on the screen that takes me to the Neighborhood View. Used to be I could zoom out as far as I wanted and move around the neighborhood at will. This magnifying glass is new and annoying! Anyone else running into this?
Mad Poster
#7 Old 13th Oct 2019 at 2:13 PM
Thanks for responding! Well, I can get the sims3pack to open in S3PE IF I first open S3PE and then open the sims3pack in the program so your "shortcut" doesn't save time. I'm trying to find a way to simply click on the sims3pack and have it open automatically in a program that will allow me to look in, just like S3PE did prior to Windows 10.

I never knew S3PE opened sims3packs, wtf, where have I been? I always use TSRW to look inside sims3packs.
In my experience, if you try double-clicking sims3packs, the only program that will open it is the freaking Launcher.

And I'm not talking about the buttons on the bottom menu. I've noticed with Windows 10 that, if I zoom out from the property, it will only zoom so far and then a magnifying glass shows up on the screen that takes me to the Neighborhood View. Used to be I could zoom out as far as I wanted and move around the neighborhood at will. This magnifying glass is new and annoying! Anyone else running into this?

Ah! Yes, you have to press the [Tab] button first, for the special camera view, then you can zoom out all the way.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Oct 2019 at 4:36 AM
Default Sims3Packs won't default open with Custard because it doesn't install onto the PC
I never knew S3PE opened sims3packs, wtf, where have I been? I always use TSRW to look inside sims3packs.
In my experience, if you try double-clicking sims3packs, the only program that will open it is the freaking Launcher.

Ah! Yes, you have to press the [Tab] button first, for the special camera view, then you can zoom out all the way.

Sorry but S3PE is for packages. Got it all tangled up trying to find out a way to open the packs. I can open the package files automatically through S3PE - duh on me - but I can no longer just click on a Sims3Pack and open it - it used to open through Custard, aka Sims3packcleaner. Now it only wants to automatically use Launcher, which is absolutely not what I want! Sorry if I confused people but I had been going around and around on this with Windows 10 and everything is so closely named!

Anyway, it's been a little while and I thought I'd check back to see if anyone had responded to this because I know exactly what the problem is....Custard doesn't install to the PC and Win10 only recognized programs that do install to the PC. Therefore, unless the creator can find a way to make it installable, it won't be available in the options for those of us with Win10. And if the creator doesn't want to give it a go, perhaps someone else can? I surely do miss being able to do this to easily peek into packs to see what else has stowed away.
Inventor
#9 Old 20th Oct 2019 at 3:36 PM
I'm not sure if this is compatible with 10 but you could try. http://prosims.ru/showthread.php?t=30687
It's the S3PW viewer and I love it for looking into packages without installing