Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 7:24 AM
Default Stairs Update
As we were talking about stairs...............

https://simsvip.com/2019/09/03/conf...-to-the-sims-4/

And some other things coming..............

https://simsvip.com/2019/09/03/the-...nt-coming-soon/
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 10:59 AM
Oh geez!! No more struggling with foundations
Mad Poster
#3 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 1:04 PM
I wish there was shaped presets to place from the menu. I fear that tight spaces may requires from rearranging and bull dozing - especially since stairs can't be saved in rooms.

I also wish they added Moroccan furniture instead of the anniversary stuff. It's going to be pretty hard to decorate with the new build items if you don't have City Living.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Instructor
#4 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 2:31 PM
The stairs update looks great to be honest. The widgets look slightly fiddly and cumbersome, but the end result - being able to twist and manipulate the stairs in this way - seems to be something we'll all find a use for in our builds.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 2:55 PM
We call hope the annual content (10 years) will feature a dragging widget as a powerful way to customize height of fulls to limitless entent. Alongside featured phole door (that functions as one in C&D) ee will FINALLY be able to build dog houses we fantasize of. If next year we don't get it, I'm sure we will receive our deserved "animation in Elevated Elevators" update in 15 year aniversary or any other receive milestone that's of 0s or 5s consecutive years.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 5th Sep 2019 at 12:24 AM
STAIRS! I'm just happy about having real, honest, editable STAIRS!
Mad Poster
#7 Old 5th Sep 2019 at 12:57 AM Last edited by matrix54 : 5th Sep 2019 at 3:14 AM.
Maybe we'll get stages/platforms/split levels before 10 years pass. We got those in year 2/EP3. Not sure what's taking so long. After we discovered you can dig a pit in a foundation, they just quit.

Field Researcher
#8 Old 5th Sep 2019 at 9:32 PM
I'm a little bit gutted about the stairs update, simply because my TS3 Kinross build had two U-shaped stair cases that I could not for the life of me rebuild for TS4 and it took about three weeks of faffing about to come to a compromise that I was happy with... damn them!

On the flip-side, my current build in progress was supposed to have L-shaped stairs and now that dream can come true!

.:: B2SIMS.com ::.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 6th Sep 2019 at 1:20 AM
Ugh... there stairs... so many design options. I hate EA for this.

This is honestly game changing for anyone who builds lots because we no longer need a 5x1 minimum foot print to get to a new floor. We can build stairs in alcoves, and nooks, or build stairs around rooms or closets, or create grand staircases in foyers... so many options...
Screenshots

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 6th Sep 2019 at 1:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Ugh... there stairs... so many design options. I hate EA for this.

This is honestly game changing for anyone who builds lots because we no longer need a 5x1 minimum foot print to get to a new floor. We can build stairs in alcoves, and nooks, or build stairs around rooms or closets, or create grand staircases in foyers... so many options...

Now if I just had some empty lots somewhere to play! I had to move something out the other night to build something I wanted to try. To have to move out or bulldoze to build drives me darn crazy!!!! I want space! Lots of it.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 6th Sep 2019 at 4:05 AM
I agree, but we can get 5 more with realm of magic.

These friggin stairs - if we even get actual elevators, we can build stairs that wrap around them.

Test Subject
#12 Old 8th Sep 2019 at 12:00 AM
I am loving the new stairs. I can finally build houses I've dreamed about for years! And then the banister killed me.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 8th Sep 2019 at 2:10 AM
Hope EA can do something about that. Make banisters place individually like in 3. I am doing a large house with the new items and have used the new stair tool also. Very fun!
dodgy builder
#14 Old 8th Sep 2019 at 11:55 AM
I tried making a wall close to the stairs, and wanted a wall or fence on the upper floor. It was between the 2 turns of the stairs. I couldn't put down the fence on the upper floor, so it had to be left unfinished upstairs. Putting down the fence would delete the stairs.

I built a 2 tile U-turn type with a mirror stairs butting up to it. I still have to test if it works.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 8th Sep 2019 at 12:32 PM
I am working on a large house with stairs that wrap behind a fountain on a wall. Will take some screenshots next time in the game and post them. This is so fun to be able to do things like this now.
Instructor
#16 Old 8th Sep 2019 at 1:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by doozygirl
I am loving the new stairs. I can finally build houses I've dreamed about for years! And then the banister killed me.

Feels like they didn't play test the tool properly, or just didn't care. Like, surely they knew simmers would do this with the stairs? Surely, they placed them this way themselves too? So, why didn't they address this before release!?

Much like the Sim Supply's recent video, it's a small issue in the grand scheme of things, but it's sloppy.
Test Subject
#17 Old 8th Sep 2019 at 7:54 PM
I love the new stairs, but I wish they weren't so dark inside. The white stairs turn a really obnoxious grey when placed in an enclosed room.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 8th Sep 2019 at 9:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by QueenMercy
I love the new stairs, but I wish they weren't so dark inside. The white stairs turn a really obnoxious grey when placed in an enclosed room.

I try to work around this by enabling bb.showhiddenobjects and stratigically placing some ceiling light squares over certain areas over the stairs. It's not always perfect and sometimes I have to give in and use a grey on the matching rail to at least try and make them look the same colour.

.:: B2SIMS.com ::.
dodgy builder
#19 Old 8th Sep 2019 at 10:25 PM
I have tested the staircase. As you can see I used a halfwall as fencing instead of the railing.

Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 8th Sep 2019 at 11:26 PM
That looks really good!
Mad Poster
#21 Old 9th Sep 2019 at 12:11 AM
*Screams "yaaas" into oblivion*

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#22 Old 9th Sep 2019 at 2:26 AM Last edited by daisylee : 10th Sep 2019 at 2:37 AM.
These are in the house I am working on at the moment.

Field Researcher
#23 Old 9th Sep 2019 at 4:23 PM
Oh wait you can split staircases that are more than 1 tile wide?? I only fiddled with the new stair options for a minute I didn’t know that.
dodgy builder
#24 Old 9th Sep 2019 at 5:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
There are in the house I am working on

That looks like a really nice mansion daisy. Inspires me yet again to build a Roman Villa, but I don't have the time.

Quote: Originally posted by drake_mccarty
Oh wait you can split staircases that are more than 1 tile wide?? I only fiddled with the new stair options for a minute I didn’t know that.

If you talk about my staircase, I saw in one of the videos EA doing that themselves.
It's just mirrored, I just wanted to see if it works. When it was first built I couldn't just not make it into a house.

I suspect it wont work diagonally though, it feels natural to have a hallway type landing upstairs.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#25 Old 9th Sep 2019 at 11:31 PM
You have to pick the width before you start manipulating them Drake.
Page 1 of 2