Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 10:04 PM Last edited by simalary44 : 13th Sep 2015 at 1:17 AM.
Default TS4: How To Create TS4 Style Paintings [Photoshop]
Introduction

This is a quick tutorial on how to create paintings (or recolor paintings) that semi-match TS4's painting styles.

What you need:
  • The Sims 4 (Duh)
  • The Sims 4 Studio
  • Photoshop (CS5 or above, I am using CC 2015)

Steps

1. Using S4S, find the painting you want to recolor.

2. Export the texture and open it in Photoshop.

3. Open another image you want to put into the frame.

4. Press Control + U and up the saturation around 25 - 40, press 'OK'.

5. Open some filters. (Before CS6, check in 'Filter' > 'Distort' > 'Glass'. In CS6 and above, use 'Filter' > 'Filter Gallery...')

6. In 'Brush Strokes', select 'Crosshatch'. Tune the settings to somewhere similar to these.

7. In the lower right, click the New Layer button. Then, go to 'Distort' and 'Glass'. Use similar settings as below.

8. Add another Gallery layer, and lastly do 'Texture', then 'Texturizer'. Follow the settings I've used.

9. Copy that photo and fit it to your original frame photo.

10. Save as DXT5. (Match the settings in my window.)

11. Import the texture in S4S, and move the package to your Mods folder.

12. Test in game.

Hope this tutorial helped you guys create TS4 style paintings!

Sim

Simalary Studios

Contact Me
Send me a PM, if you need to contact me for anything.
1 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 1:26 PM
Can you perhaps edit your thread title to include “Photoshop”? That would be useful so people know right away what it’s about. Thanks!

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Sep 2015 at 1:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Can you perhaps edit your thread title to include “Photoshop”? That would be useful so people know right away what it’s about. Thanks!

@plasticbox updated.

Simalary Studios

Contact Me
Send me a PM, if you need to contact me for anything.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 13th Sep 2015 at 10:05 AM
Nice tutorial, just a quick note: It isn't necessary to have Photoshop CS5 or above, I have CS2 and it can do what's described here. Older versions back to at least Photoshop 6, which is my oldest PC version, can do it except that pre-CS versions don't have the 'Filter Gallery', filters are chosen from the Filter menu instead.

Also, paintings for TS4 are DXT1 format, not DXT5. It may also be helpful to give a link to the DDS plugin ( https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia...adobe-photoshop )
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#5 Old 13th Sep 2015 at 11:41 AM
Ah thanks, for the DXT5 thing in particular =)

One could also link to Aorta for those who run PS under OS X (since that NVidia plugin is Windows-only): http://sourceforge.net/projects/aorta/

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 25th Feb 2016 at 1:09 PM
@simalary44 can you attach your screenshots to this thread please? They all seem to be AWOL.

Lab Assistant
#7 Old 15th Mar 2018 at 2:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by augold44
I know this is three years later, but GIMP does not have a distort glass filter. Gimp users have to do some major work in order to do a glass effect. I am thinking gimp users may not "have" to do this step. Since most frames in TS4 game with a "glassie look glare". Am I right?

GIMP has a very handy "oilify" filter under artistic. It mimics the texture of the paintings in Sims 4 very well. I'd agree though that a glass effect would be totally optional, especially since paintings frequently aren't displayed behind glass.