Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th May 2016 at 7:58 PM Last edited by Jawusa : 8th Jul 2020 at 4:48 PM.
Default UPLOADED! - Moonbase Apollo - Custom (Asian) Vacation Subhood - Now Pet & Toddler Friendly
Update! (07/08/2020):

The attachments have been removed, since the neighborhood's officially up now! Thank you very much for playtesting if you did, I really appreciate your help!
To download the final version of the neighborhood, click here!

I've been building this while I actually should have been learning for my final exams.
But... well, I wanted to finish this first and upload it for playtesting. But now I really have to prepare myself for the finals. Only 3 weeks left!

Anyway...
Have your sims ever wanted to stand on the moon? Have your sims ever wanted to jump on the moon and experience the weak Lunar gravity? Now, your sims can do that! The trip to the moon may last long, but it will be worth it. We promise.
(That will probably become the neighborhood description. It needs some more work, I know. But I'll do the descriptions later.)

Moonbase Apollo doesn't require any CC. I only used EA's content.
It's been created using AnyGameStarter in a BG+NL+Pets+SNS+BV only game with no Maxis content.
I've created a custom SC4 terrain for this neighborhood. If you want, I could also upload the SC4 terrain along with the subhood.

I had to choose a vacation theme for this (Mountain, Tropical, Asian) and because the moon is not a tropical place and there aren't any mountains on the moon, I made it an "Asian" vacation subhood.
And since the moon can be east from the Earth (of course, depending on the current orbit position), why not count it as "Far-Eastern"? Since it's a "Far-Eastern", ahem... "Far-Earth" neighborhood.

If you want to playtest this neighborhood, download the file I attached here (AMA1) and put it into C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Bon Voyage\TSData\Res\NeighborhoodTemplate
Because this is a 'beta' version and not a 'final' version, I don't recommend adding this to any of your neighborhoods which you care for. Please create a new throw-away test neighborhood and add Moonbase Apollo to that neighborhood instead.

At the moment, there are no sims in the neighborhood but if you want to have custom locals too, I could create them. But first, I want to make sure that everything's working well.
All of the lots are built within an oxygen & pressure dome - you know there's no air on the Moon and I had to do that to keep this as realistic as possible. Credit goes to Zarathustra for his awesome dome building tutorial

Oh, and I didn't even test whether the custom "Pagoda in the Shadows" lot is working or not. So can anyone confirm it's working? The Wise Old Man should be on the lot, at the top of the pagoda.

If you find any issues, or if you think some objects are missing while you were visiting the community lots, or if you have better lot name ideas, please let me know.
I'd love to hear your suggestions.

Otherwise, have fun playtesting this subhood! I've also attached some pictures.
PS: The sky has been made black using the cheat "boolprop useEffects false". I didn't download any sky changing mods. Moonbase Apollo is completely CC free.

Thank you for your time and thanks for playtesting. I really appreciate it! I'll credit you all once the neighborhood is officially uploaded.
Screenshots

Catalogue of Custom Neighborhoods for TS2
All Hood Building Group neighborhoods are available here
Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 7th May 2016 at 5:01 AM
Awesome! I love it! My own domed lots I always tend towards a "realistic" space colony, with lots of modules and airlocks and the like, even though the eventual idea with domed areas like these is to be able to do what you've done here- just build in them!

I'm not sure I trust my internet to download an entire subhood ATM, but since you attached a few pictures and this is the CFF though, I do have a few suggestions:

-You've got the roof of the pagoda in your neighborhood "profile picture" tall enough to be poking through the top of the dome enclosing it- it kind of spoils the dome effect. (this is the only lot where I can see that in what you've uploaded though)
-If this is a moon base, there's no atmosphere at all, so there's nothing to make wind turbines work... (Mars has a very thin atmosphere, so wind power is conceivably possible there) I'd probably make a couple "deco" lots with solar collectors if you wanted to have some sort of power source.
-The two tallest skyscrapers would be a pressure-containment nightmare- right angles are the enemy of holding in an atmosphere successfully, plus to me at least, they don't fit in with the rest of the aesthetic you have going. The smaller octagonal one does, but I'd lose the larger two styles.
-Finally, and this is certainly not a big issue, but what are the radio dishes pointed at? They're not facing Earth in the shot where you can see Earthrise in the background, and if there are satellites, I'd expect a variety of angles for them... I'd probably say spin a few of them around- gives a greater impression of something going on in orbit!

Overall though, I love where this is and is going, and I look forward to seeing what comes of it! (also just out of curiosity- what's in the quad dome in the upper left-hand corner?)

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th May 2016 at 9:06 AM Last edited by Jawusa : 7th May 2016 at 10:36 PM.
Thanks for the helpful feedback, Zarathustra! I really appreciate it!

Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
-You've got the roof of the pagoda in your neighborhood "profile picture" tall enough to be poking through the top of the dome enclosing it- it kind of spoils the dome effect. (this is the only lot where I can see that in what you've uploaded though)

I made sure that the roofs don't go outside the dome. For some reason, the roofs get larger in neighborhood view, so that's why it looks like that. In lot view, the roof does not go outside the dome.
Not sure how to fix that roof, but it will be hidden in neighborhood view anyway - that's the secret Pagoda in the Shadows lot where the Wise Old Man resides.

And the other lots don't have such high roofs. This lot is the only one that has a high roof.

-If this is a moon base, there's no atmosphere at all, so there's nothing to make wind turbines work... (Mars has a very thin atmosphere, so wind power is conceivably possible there) I'd probably make a couple "deco" lots with solar collectors if you wanted to have some sort of power source.

LOL! I must be sleeping when I decorated the neighborhood. You're right! No atmosphere = no wind. I'll see what I can do there.

-The two tallest skyscrapers would be a pressure-containment nightmare- right angles are the enemy of holding in an atmosphere successfully, plus to me at least, they don't fit in with the rest of the aesthetic you have going. The smaller octagonal one does, but I'd lose the larger two styles.

I knew they wouldn't fit into the neighborhood. But I wanted to have some variety, too... I guess I'll just remove all of the skyscrapers and add some rocks instead.

-Finally, and this is certainly not a big issue, but what are the radio dishes pointed at? They're not facing Earth in the shot where you can see Earthrise in the background, and if there are satellites, I'd expect a variety of angles for them... I'd probably say spin a few of them around- gives a greater impression of something going on in orbit!

Okay! I'll do that. That would make more sense. I randomly placed them without thinking of where they're actualy pointing at.

Overall though, I love where this is and is going, and I look forward to seeing what comes of it! (also just out of curiosity- what's in the quad dome in the upper left-hand corner?)

You mean the lot with the four domes? That's a market square. I could take some pictures of that lot, if you're interested.

Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 7th May 2016 at 8:43 PM
I only managed to play test a little bit yesterday, but the placement of these tea tables at the Cherryblossom Resort doesn't work well:

Probably best to leave one square of empty space around all tea tables, since for some reason serving tea means a sim always sits in the same spot, and always gets up on the left side, leaving them stuck in the corner forever.
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th May 2016 at 10:25 PM
I thought the tea tables would work in that way... Anyway, I'll see what I can do there.

Thanks for the feedback, caitawesome!

My Simblr
Mad Poster
#6 Old 7th May 2016 at 10:30 PM
It may work if you turn it 45 degrees.

They need 2 spaces for it to work normal but sometimes setting them to 45 degrees allow the sims to sit down.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th May 2016 at 10:33 PM Last edited by Jawusa : 8th May 2016 at 11:26 AM.
Thanks, Mark!

I'll try that. I hope it works in that way.

ETA: Okay! The tea tables can be used now. I've also removed the tall skyscrapers and I updated the neighborhood picture as well. This time, I took the picture of the pagoda in lot view. That looks less blurry and the roof does not go outside the dome.

The newest version (Beta 2) has been attached to post #1.

My Simblr
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 10th May 2016 at 8:24 PM
I haven't tried out version 2 yet, but I have more notes from version 1:

Cherryblossom Resort:
*both table and bar seating worked at the restaurant, but I thought it was awkward that a couple can't sit next to each other at the bar. The restaurant was a little too crowded, since every guest liked to stand and talk around the restaurant podium for some reason, making it a little difficult to be seated.
*one of the guests started swinging a child on the path to the pool (of course), and several sims were blocked from getting out of the pool area. The landscaping might be a bit too cramped?

Dihydrogen Monoxide Aquarium:
*the bamboo clips through the diving boards on the second story.

Zen Garden:
*placement of the first set of Fu Lions is backwards (looking out, the male Fu Lion with ball under paw should be on the left, female with cub under her paw on the right). Not essential, but it's the best placement.

Bonsai Retreat:
*the restaurant isn't working, podium says under construction.
*in the hotel rooms, tables placed in corners aren't convenient for more than one sim--the waiter bringing in room service puts a group meal plate on the table, and the second sim to take a plate will find another place to sit outside the room.

Gaming Place
*sims couldn't use pinball machines. Absolutely everyone on the lot was able to take part in Myshuno, though (and of course they ALL did at the same time).

Notell Motel
*left photobooth is backwards (entrance is facing the stairs)
*bamboo clips through back rooms
*restaurant won't seat at tables, the only option available is sitting at the counter

Spa
*if there are 2 sims already in the hot springs, the next sim trying to get in is blocked. I've had this problem when placing hot springs on my own lots; sims want to access the spring on all sides, including right next to the large rock.

Also, I'd rather have showers in the hotel rooms (or at least in a few of them). It always seems like I need to get sims' motives up as quickly as possible during vacations, and a bath is a little too slow.

Still haven't gained access to Pagoda in the Shadows, yet--been trying to just let it happen naturally, but the Probables are having a string of really bad luck (every tour is an itchy failure, and they've dug up at least 5 rocks).

And Rosa got chased by moon bees on the moon, but that's her own fault:
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 11th May 2016 at 8:12 PM
Thanks again, caitawesome!
I've updated the neighborhood picture and a few lots but that's everything actually. So there isn't really a reason to download V2...
I'll fix the things you listed out. I also playtested a little and found some more issues. The Nuclear Fission & Fushion lot has no doors, for instance. I must be sleeping while I was building that lot!

Quote:
And Rosa got chased by moon bees on the moon, but that's her own fault

LOL! Poor Rosa. Many of the objects were blocked and unusable during her vacation and now she's got moon bees chasing her.

By the way, were you able to see a Ninja appearing somewhere during the vacation?

My Simblr
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 12th May 2016 at 12:18 AM
Yes indeed, a ninja appeared on one of the community lots, and Sophia learned to teleport. Which means vacation = success!

I haven't tested all of the lots, yet (there's definitely a lot to do on the moon!), but I'll have more notes once I do.
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 22nd May 2016 at 8:32 PM
Sorry for taking this so long, I've been busy over these days. But I was able to upload the newest version (V3) of the neighborhood with a couple of corrections.
The things you listed should be fixed, caitawesome. Again, thanks for the helpful notes!

My Simblr
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 9:56 AM
Oh, I've just realised that I forgot to include some showers in the hotel rooms. Meaning the hotels still have bath tubs... That will be fixed in V4.
The Pagoda in the Shadows also needs to be redone. I actually wanted to keep the tea table at the top of the pagoda but it doesn't work well there. :/

My Simblr
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 4:25 AM
This is really cool. I hope you are still working on it.

They should use The Sims 2 in psychology....it could work wonders.
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 11:06 AM
Yes, I'm still working on it but I got a little busy these days...

My Simblr
Test Subject
#15 Old 9th Aug 2016 at 5:02 AM
Good work, grand buildings, gardens under the dome are great! The general view looks sad and deserted, just like on the moon!
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 9th Aug 2016 at 8:49 AM
Thanks! I'm glad you like this neighborhood.

My Simblr
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#17 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 2:22 PM
Alright guys!

I've fixed all the bugs I could find while playtesting Moonbase Apollo.
So... I've uploaded the most recent update (V4) into the main post.

Gosh! It's been soo long, but just to let you know guys, I still haven't abandoned this project and it's not far from finished anyway. It would also fit in just well with MTS's current monthly theme.

My Simblr
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#18 Old 28th Jul 2018 at 6:41 PM
So.. I adapted the WHOLE neighborhood, so it can be used with Lamare's Pets and toddlers on Vacation mod.
Meaning, the neighborhood now has pet & toddler friendly vacation lots now.

My Simblr
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 9:07 PM Last edited by Jawusa : 15th Mar 2019 at 9:30 PM.
I know, I should not be double (well not even triple or quadruple) posting, but I just wanted to update you guys on the latest version (V6.1).

Basically, it's the same vacation subhood, but this time with locals. Other than adding sims to the neighborhood, nothing has changed.
There are a total of 8 locals; 2 female adults, 2 male adults, 2 male teens and 1 female teen and 1 female child.

My Simblr
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 28th Mar 2019 at 12:52 PM
I don't think you need the skyscrapers as decoration in the neighbourhood. It kind of destroys the atmosphere and makes me feel I'm back on Earth. The antennas, satellites, and other props sell the illusion more than enough. Otherwise I love it.

Did I really say that?
- Well, at least yesterday is behind us now.
/Jonipoon
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#21 Old 19th May 2019 at 12:43 AM
Okay, so I deleted the skyscrapers and fixed some minor bugs here and there!

The latest version of Moonbase Apollo (with and without locals) is available in the main post.

My Simblr
Locked thread | Locked by: HugeLunatic Reason: uploaded