Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 1:09 AM Last edited by onlyfrillsandhorses : 20th Jun 2018 at 6:42 PM.
Default [fixed] Mesh returned to maxis while editing texture map
Hiya! So I'm doing my first ever meshing project and editing the H&M afbodypolkadotminidress into a lolita style dress. at first, it was all going good, and I ended up with this:

that was great, and all I wanted to do was tweak the UV map. so I did, and then it went back to this:

so I tried everything I could find through googling, I'll try my best to list them all:
changed the integrity
checked the linking
checked I'd replaced the GMDC with the right file
checked I'd updated the file in the downloads folder
changing the GMDC to the last update before I changed to the UV mapping, then body shop crashed everytime I tried to open it
remade the whole thing, did the same thing (not before going invisible and turning into a floating head, and changing to that default coat outfit)

its probably because I'm a noob, but I'm really stumped here, been trying to fix it for a few days. any ideas?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 9:58 AM
If you do "fix integrity" you'll have to relink the mesh. You shouldn't have to do "fix integrity" when you've already done it, because that step is there to make the new mesh file stand apart from the original, so once is usually enough.

You can fix the GMDC and the textures as many times as you want after doing "Fix integrity" to the mesh, but make sure to delete the cache files (accessory, cigen, groups, contentregistry) when you go into Bodyshop or ingame, because they can mess up the result and occasionally cause crashes or make the game/bodyshop not load.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 8:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
If you do "fix integrity" you'll have to relink the mesh. You shouldn't have to do "fix integrity" when you've already done it, because that step is there to make the new mesh file stand apart from the original, so once is usually enough.

You can fix the GMDC and the textures as many times as you want after doing "Fix integrity" to the mesh, but make sure to delete the cache files (accessory, cigen, groups, contentregistry) when you go into Bodyshop or ingame, because they can mess up the result and occasionally cause crashes or make the game/bodyshop not load.

Relinked everything, still the same problem unfortunately. definitely not a cache issue as I delete it every time just before I open body shop :/
Mad Poster
#4 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 10:16 PM
Can you upload the files?

If you by any chance have the original files you started with, you can use those and just change the GMDC and texture.

For future projects: If something works, do a backup! If you're doing a big change to a file, save a copy first. You never know if or when you'll screw up something beyond fixing. You can always delete the extra copies when everything works and you're satisfied with the result.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 11:09 PM
Can you upload the files?

If you by any chance have the original files you started with, you can use those and just change the GMDC and texture.

For future projects: If something works, do a backup! If you're doing a big change to a file, save a copy first. You never know if or when you'll screw up something beyond fixing. You can always delete the extra copies when everything works and you're satisfied with the result.

Sure thing, I've upladed the mesh package, recolour, 3d model and the edited GMDC, let me know if there's anything else you want ^^
I save copies everytime I edit the GMDC, but I guess I should save copies of everything really. its just very mysterious to me that as soon as I edited the GMDC once, it stopped working, even when I started completley fresh with a new package... I wonder if its just something to do with my computer, or simpe.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  onlyfrillsandhorses_nonworkingdressmesh.zip (601.0 KB, 2 downloads) - View custom content
Mad Poster
#6 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 1:38 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 20th Jun 2018 at 1:58 AM.
SimPE loads the mesh preview reeeeally slow, and ends with "Cres was not found" and that's usually a bad sign. I'm guessing you did "fix integrity" too many times on the same mesh.

You may want to stay away from using other characters than numbers, hyphens (those: - - - ) and Aa to Zz without any special markings (don't use ã ä 'a, etc.) when changing the name in the Fix Integrity. Stay away from the _ or . (can be used, but files don't always like them, _ is always replaced with . anyway). Any other characters including spaces can make the file not work. Also don't do "fix integrity" on body meshes more than once, because they don't like it and sometimes bork up the CRES on pure spite.

Personally, I prefer to copy the GMDC name before replacing the file, and then replacing the name before commit+save. Technically not needed, but it keeps things a little neater. I also always extract the mesh I'm using, then do "fix integrity" without clicking on any of the resources, and save the file - because once in a while the CRES gets messed up if you start editing it or open up the resources before doing "Fix Integrity". I usually also close and reopen the file, mostly as a precaution (probably not necessary, but I do it because the CRES issue has happened once or twice when I didn't).

I added fixed and re-linked files under, hopefully it will work now. Just make sure to remove the old files and delete the caches. In case you wonder, I remade the mesh file (extracted original mesh from game, did fix integrity), replaced the GMDC (fixed the name to match), and linked it to the recolor file.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  katsurin_lolitadressmesh.rar (337.8 KB, 2 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 6:40 PM
SimPE loads the mesh preview reeeeally slow, and ends with "Cres was not found" and that's usually a bad sign. I'm guessing you did "fix integrity" too many times on the same mesh.

You may want to stay away from using other characters than numbers, hyphens (those: - - - ) and Aa to Zz without any special markings (don't use � � 'a, etc.) when changing the name in the Fix Integrity. Stay away from the _ or . (can be used, but files don't always like them, _ is always replaced with . anyway). Any other characters including spaces can make the file not work. Also don't do "fix integrity" on body meshes more than once, because they don't like it and sometimes bork up the CRES on pure spite.

Personally, I prefer to copy the GMDC name before replacing the file, and then replacing the name before commit+save. Technically not needed, but it keeps things a little neater. I also always extract the mesh I'm using, then do "fix integrity" without clicking on any of the resources, and save the file - because once in a while the CRES gets messed up if you start editing it or open up the resources before doing "Fix Integrity". I usually also close and reopen the file, mostly as a precaution (probably not necessary, but I do it because the CRES issue has happened once or twice when I didn't).

I added fixed and re-linked files under, hopefully it will work now. Just make sure to remove the old files and delete the caches. In case you wonder, I remade the mesh file (extracted original mesh from game, did fix integrity), replaced the GMDC (fixed the name to match), and linked it to the recolor file.

thank you so much, it seems to be working now ^^
when I first loaded it, the thumbnail wasn't working correctly, but that wasn't too much of a problem.
I extracted the GMDC you made, and tweaked it a bit, changing the waist and skirt areas slightly and altering the shoes to have higher and chunky platforms, then imported it into a copy I made of your files.
I think the mesh and UV map are where I want them to be now, thanks to you, so now there's just the textures to take care of!

Thank you so much for your help, I owe you one for this! definitely going to credit you if/when I upload it ヽ(〃・ω・)ノ
though you didn't need to do so much to help me, aha
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#8 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 9:57 PM
The mesh package file was the only broken file (the GMDC file you added worked fine), so I just remade the mesh package file and linked it to your recolor. You did pretty much all of the work