Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Dec 2013 at 1:48 PM
Default Custom Plumbot parts
Hey! I'm working on converting Servo to functional Plumbot parts, so I cloned Plumbot arms, legs and torso in S3OC and those parts are working fine. My issue is with the head - since I don't need to modify the head mesh for Plumbot usage (whereas I had to divide the original TS2 Servo outfit into legs, arms and a torso), I just edited the CASP so that it was set as "Plumbotwear". It doesn't show up in the Create-a-Bot screen, however, so I cloned a Plumbot head in S3OC and swapped out the mesh and textures, and it shows up in the Create-a-Bot screen...except the textures are borked and I can't seem to get rid of the eye effect.

The mesh shows up fine, but it captures textures from whatever the last headgear was - I thought it might be a problem with the UV map, but every single other Bot head and hat-hair I have tried shows up fine - indeed, I ended up reverting to my original, non-Bot cloned Servo head using Nraas' Edit-in-CAS tool, and that works on the Bot-Sim perfectly.

I've tried cloning the Servo head from different Plumbot heads, but I keep encountering the same issue, and I can't figure out how to get the Servo head to show up in the Create-a-Bot screen without cloning it - is there some special property outside of the CASP that makes it show up? I tried importing a Plumbot CASP into my original Servo head, but it still didn't show in Create-a-Bot.

I apologize for the long-windedness of this!
Screenshots

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
If this succeeds, then we will have driven a stake through the metaphorical heart of pudding.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 17th Dec 2013 at 2:49 PM
I guess you could try looking at the texture links in the mesh, and at the shader - make sure they're the same as a cloned Plumbot mesh. You could try copying the Group comments from a Plumbot head mesh to your mesh in Milkshape. I'm just guessing here, though.

If the eye effect is a visual effect, you may not be able to get rid of it.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Dec 2013 at 6:14 PM
No luck so far - I'm going to start over, perhaps something got borked with all the alterations made to the files since I converted the mesh from OFB last year - my computer reformats rarely go smoothly, and I guess that my working folders got hit this time.

As for the eyes, they are a visual effect but I'm unsure how they work - with the Vampire effects (glowing eyes and pallor), they're triggered by the lifestate itself, but since each Plumbot head has its own unique effects, I was thinking that there must be some reference to them in the headgear itself, rather than being a universal effect like other lifestates have. I know very little about such things, so it's just a hunch, and I'd appreciate it if someone more knowledgeable could let me know if this is possible and if so, where the references are stored.

Quote:
If this succeeds, then we will have driven a stake through the metaphorical heart of pudding.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#4 Old 17th Dec 2013 at 10:05 PM
I saw that Plumbot heads/hat hairs have a mesh part with a SimGlass shader, so maybe that's the part that gets the eye effect?

If you want to upload your package at some point, I'd be interested in taking a look at it and see if I spot anything.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Dec 2013 at 2:52 AM
Removing the lens mesh parts didn't do anything to affect the shader, so I'm stumped. I've uploaded both the non-ITF-ified Servo head and the one that I cloned from a Bot head; thanks for taking a look at these! Ordinarily I wouldn't be so finicky, but I think that I'm not the only simmer that would like to see Servo return with all the bells and whistles of a plumbot, so I'd like to have it as good as possible for uploading. Thanks again!
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Servo Heads.zip (369.5 KB, 95 downloads) - View custom content

Quote:

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#6 Old 18th Dec 2013 at 8:48 PM
The immediate problem was that you replaced the wrong texture with the multiplier and had a completely transparent texture as the multiplier. When in doubt you can extract one of the presets and look for the multiplier TGI. Other (minor) problems were that the multiplier should be grayscale, I couldn't find a specular, and the mask should be red for color A, green for color B, and blue for color C (if any), with no black areas.

And, when replacing meshes like this you really need to get the shader and the bumpmap link right. In one of the pics below you can see what happened when the bumpmap link pointed to a file that doesn't exist, or possibly to a bumpmap for another mesh. The shader may be important for the metallic shine.

What I did, and what IMO you should do, is this:

1) Clone a head in S3OC again. Extract the meshes.
2) Import the meshes you just extracted in Milkshape, and your head and eye meshes.
3) Copy the Group comments from the extracted head mesh to your head mesh, and the comments from the extracted eye mesh to your eye mesh. (I also moved the eye so it's visible and changed the head bone assignments to head instead of headnew.)
4) Export your modified head and eye meshes.
5) Open the SAME cloned package and replace the meshes and textures.

It still seems to have some issues with CASt, you might want to play around with the multiplier and specular and maybe a new bumpmap to get a shinier final version, and it needs a neck. I attached my working package in case you want to use the modified meshes and textures.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  cmar_PlumbotServoHead.zip (174.5 KB, 110 downloads) - View custom content

Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Dec 2013 at 11:05 PM
Ah, I can't believe my issue was something so simple! In retrospect, I do think I was confused about which texture was the multiplier and which was the specular, and I must've mixed them up, since the version I did from scratch last night seems to be working alright so far. And you're right, the multiplier *should* be grayscale, but I've encountered no errors with using colour multipliers - it's the lazier answer to converting the colour detailing into a stencil or an overlay, I suppose. As for the black parts on the map, I seem to recall the tutorial I read on colour mapping a while ago saying that you should use black for areas that you don't want to be recolourable? Anyway, thanks for the help, I really must be more careful with the textures next time!

Quote:

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#8 Old 19th Dec 2013 at 2:23 AM
Oops, you're right about the black area. It would be good to also disable the extra channels if that works the same way for plumbot parts.

Forgot to mention I also replaced the bumpmap with an empty one.

Lab Assistant
#9 Old 13th Jan 2015 at 6:56 AM
sorry to revive this but... what were your steps exactly? i can't find the meshes in the plumbot cloned parts, just textures, thumbmails, CASPART and XML
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 22nd Jan 2015 at 2:47 AM
anyone?
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 4th Feb 2015 at 6:14 PM
no love for plumbots then
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 16th May 2015 at 7:42 PM
it's me again... can you tell me how to get the meshes?
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 18th May 2015 at 4:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by slave_zombie_student
it's me again... can you tell me how to get the meshes?

You should be able to find them in the cloned package S3OC gives you - I did this just yesterday and all of the simgeom files are there.

Quote:

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Test Subject
#14 Old 1st Jun 2017 at 11:04 PM
Sorry If I'm reviving this thread but do you plan on making available for download the servo body in the first picture you posted?