Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Feb 2018 at 10:12 AM Last edited by sam&skye : 19th Feb 2018 at 1:46 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Hood deco sky domes dis- and reappearing on lots
I wanted to start using a sky dome for my neighbourhoods. I installed Nopke's skyFix to make sure a hood deco one would be visible on lots as well, but that only works half the time. The dome is lowedeus' GreatSky of Totalitatianism - although I don't think that matters, as the sky itself shows up and works fine, so I think the issue isn't with the dome. The problem is that it disappears only with certain camera positions. Whenever I zoom or move the camera, it disappears or reappears. I've played around with graphics settings and view distance settings, but that doesn't seem to affect it. Has anyone else had this? Is there something I've overseen or done wrong or is it one of those unfixable things that the game just does? (I know I can simply use the lot version, but I'd hate to have to place one on every lot, and the randomly visible or invisible hood one coming through would still bother me.)

Random unrelated comment, I totally caught my sim getting a platonic brush-off on camera. Sucks to be you, Paul.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th Feb 2018 at 12:27 PM
Sky domes are like any other hood deco. As you back away from your house, any hood deco will fade out at a certain distance from the house depending on Fade Distance settings. This was probably made that way so that your view doesn't get blocked by the lot imposter of the house across the street or hood deco trees, etc.

To make your sky dome (and all other neighborhood deco) always show up, just set the Fade Distance to Off.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 17th Feb 2018 at 12:45 PM
I also have this problem and I assumed it depended on where you put the dome. Meaning that placing it closer to the lot or something would change that. But I'll guess that it does come from the fade distance so I'll try that too
Mad Poster
#4 Old 17th Feb 2018 at 2:34 PM
Same problem here, and i did set my fade distance to off. It would appear and disappear depending on my camera angle. I ended up downloading a per lot, object, instead of a 'Hood one.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#5 Old 17th Feb 2018 at 10:14 PM
Do you mean this, where a circular "hole" appears in the sky? I've also seen it with horizons. I get this from time to time in both neighborhood and lot view and I'm not sure what causes it. It even shows up sometimes during cut scenes, which is really annoying. Where the sky box is placed on the neighborhood map doesn't seem to make any difference whether it happens or not.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#6 Old 17th Feb 2018 at 10:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
Do you mean this, where a circular "hole" appears in the sky?

Dunno about the others, but me, no. I meant intermittent working. Sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 12:02 AM
Do you mean this, where a circular "hole" appears in the sky? I've also seen it with horizons. I get this from time to time in both neighborhood and lot view and I'm not sure what causes it. It even shows up sometimes during cut scenes, which is really annoying. Where the sky box is placed on the neighborhood map doesn't seem to make any difference whether it happens or not.

Have you tried removing the horizon? I've had this happen when I used several sky domes or a sky and a horizon because one of them "cuts" into the other.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 8:37 AM
Have you added this command to your userStartup.cheat file?

uintProp lotSkirtSizeIncrease 120

That, plus Fade Distance=off and View Distance=Extra Large and SkyFix2 is the combination that works for me. Make sure you have the up to date version of SkyFix too, as it was modified a couple of times to work better with Lowedeus's skydomes.

It's worth checking your settings against the tips here, especially as it includes recommended cameras:

http://greatcheesecakepersona.tumbl...open-world-feel
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 10:33 AM
Great, I'll go and try it right now, then report back.
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 7:27 PM
Turning the fade distance off did fix it. I thought I already had it turned as far as I can and didn't see you could completely turn it off.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 11:22 PM
I tried it as well-I hadn't been having any issues, but once in a while the background would drop out and be replaced with the usual Maxis skies. It worked!

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#12 Old 19th Feb 2018 at 4:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sam&skye
Have you tried removing the horizon? I've had this happen when I used several sky domes or a sky and a horizon because one of them "cuts" into the other.

I actually haven't seen that effect in some time. I'm more careful where I place the neighborhood sky boxes now, so it took me half an hour of fooling around with the thing to make that graphics bug come back for that screenshot!

I'm glad you got yours working!
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 19th Feb 2018 at 5:19 PM
I actually haven't seen that effect in some time. I'm more careful where I place the neighborhood sky boxes now, so it took me half an hour of fooling around with the thing to make that graphics bug come back for that screenshot!

I'm glad you got yours working!

I like your commitment