Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jun 2018 at 6:05 AM Last edited by t888 : 22nd Jun 2018 at 11:31 PM.
Default WCIF Small Houses Tutorial
I saw a tutorial previously, I thought on here but can't find it any more, on how to build the smallest possible houses and have them be space efficient and work still and it might have been primarily about building cheap houses, I know it also mentioned deprecation values.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 22nd Jun 2018 at 7:07 AM
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Jun 2018 at 11:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KatyFernlily
Was it this? https://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/buildedit/houses/

No but if I can't find it that will help. I think the tutorial I'm looking for was on here and it might have been primarily about building cheap houses, I know it also mentioned deprecation values.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 1:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Why would you need a tutorial?

You just need
- bed
- fridge
- toilet
- sink
and... make some sort of chair, though your sim can eat standing up.

Well, I don't need it per se, but it did talk about the absolute minimum of size each room needs and about depreciation rate to make it as cheap as possible.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#7 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 1:32 AM
I don't think the question here is what minimum is required to have a livable lot, and I'm pretty sure you know this
Besides, for the survival lot you only need one thing: a tent.
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 1:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
I don't think the question here is what minimum is required to have a livable lot, and I'm pretty sure you know this
Besides, for the survival lot you only need one thing: a tent.

I'm trying to find ways to make it the cheapest possible which also includes depreciating the value which that tutorial had details about. Yes, a tent is technically the cheapest but aside from that... If I could find that bit about depreciation I could take it further!

Well, I don't know anything about depreciation... but... technically you only need 1 room.

Let's see... a bed would require 3 spaces, but the 1 spot left or right of the bed can have a furniture... you need 1 space for fridge, sink, toilet. So you could possibly do it in a 3x3. bed on 1 side (3), sink/fridge/toilet on the other side (3), and a chair in between on the opposite wall (1). Since lots require a 1 space border, so the actual lot would be 4x4.

You could switch the bed with a 2 tile sofa instead, but you'll only have napping option and also technically might be some issue with SP immigration.

so,
- bed to sleep
- toilet to relieve yourself
- sink for dishes/spongebath
- fridge for food (only quick meals since no counter)

You can put a book in your inventory for fun motives... and ... I think that's the min required survival lot.

You know thats not quite what I had in mind but thats an interesting take.
#9 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 2:18 AM
My reply was actually directed at nitromon, because of the very reason that you mentioned.

I've been going through the tutorials in the meantime and couldn't find anything in there. The earliest mini builders here who also wrote tutorials from time to time haven't left anything here on MTS either. But plasticbox, armiel, QBuilderz are those who uploaded small houses rather often. Another creator would be Flabaliki, who now goes by the name thesimsupply and has his own youtube channels and website. You might find a thread perhaps where these contributed under Create/Sims3Creation/Building. Maybe it was a thread and not a tutorial.

ETA: Ah, or maybe it was this one? Save some Simoleons when building smaller houses
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 2:24 AM
My reply was actually directed at nitromon, because of the very reason that you mentioned.

I've been going through the tutorials in the meantime and couldn't find anything in there. The earliest mini builders here who also wrote tutorials from time to time haven't left anything here on MTS either. But plasticbox, armiel, QBuilderz are those who uploaded small houses rather often. Another creator would be Flabaliki, who now goes by the name thesimsupply and has his own youtube channels and website. You might find a thread perhaps where these contributed under Create/Sims3Creation/Building. Maybe it was a thread and not a tutorial.

You might be right. I'll take a look through the forums and see if I can find it.
#11 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 2:25 AM
Have you seen my edit?
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 2:26 AM
Have you seen my edit?

Yup, thats it, thats the one! Thanks a lot! I got it book marked this time, lol.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 3:52 AM
But what will you eat? I mean I guess you can pee yourself so toilet is not necessary.

Not that this is helpful to the OP at all for reasons already stated, but none of the things you listed are necessary for survival or green bars. They are all luxuries. Food can be grown in the ground either on one's lot or in a community garden (or wherever else one finds harvestables) and carried in personal inventory, it doesn't have to be refrigerated, prepared, or served on counters or plates like those upper class phonies putting on airs and graces all over the place. Fun and social, etc. can be sought away from home as can sleep and hygiene. If one must spend most of one's time on the home lot, the only real requirement is shelter from the elements.

And maybe a karaoke machine.
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 3:52 AM Last edited by t888 : 23rd Jun 2018 at 5:56 AM.
But what will you eat? I mean I guess you can pee yourself so toilet is not necessary. But if that's the case, you don't need a tent either, you can just get really tired and pass out.

I think the lot I mentioned is the min which to have and still capable of getting all your bars to green.

Good points. I'm interested in attempting your idea also.

Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Not that this is helpful to the OP at all for reasons already stated, but none of the things you listed are necessary for survival or green bars. They are all luxuries. Food can be grown in the ground either on one's lot or in a community garden (or wherever else one finds harvestables) and carried in personal inventory, it doesn't have to be refrigerated, prepared, or served on counters or plates like those upper class phonies putting on airs and graces all over the place. Fun and social, etc. can be sought away from home as can sleep and hygiene. If one must spend most of one's time on the home lot, the only real requirement is shelter from the elements.

And maybe a karaoke machine.

And a mailbox for bills/presents/awards. Lol.
#16 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 9:10 AM
But what will you eat? I mean I guess you can pee yourself so toilet is not necessary. But if that's the case, you don't need a tent either, you can just get really tired and pass out.

I think the lot I mentioned is the min which to have and still capable of getting all your bars to green.
Unless you live in an artificially constructed environment or world that contains just your lot and nothing else then, yes, you'll need objects that serve these needs on your lot. In all other circumstances you can visit neighbours or community lots, and get your food from out in the wild.
The tent, however, is still crucial as soon as you have Seasons installed, because it prevents you from either catching fire in summer or freezing to death in winter.

So, let's assume that the Sim never leaves their lot, then a tent, an all-in-one-bathroom and a fridge will be some sort of minimum set. If they're allowed to fish or have access to gardening plants then you can replace the fridge with a fire pit.
Your biggest problem after a while will then actually be one motive that you cannot fulfill with any objects, and that is social, unless you think that chatting with the mail carrier twice a week is enough.

If you don't have Seasons but Supernatural then you can replace the tent with a rocking chair: better rating for energy than most beds and it can raise fun, too.

An interesting additional thought is what kind of Sim would be best suited for this experiment or could survive with less. Then a Plantsim will probably score highest, followed closely by the Genie, 2nd place could then go to high-level witches and fairies (if you replace the bed or tent with a fairy house, that is); mermaids and vampires will have it the hardest and all others will have neither big advantages nor major disadvantages that will require or allow substantial changes to the lot design. Although a mummy or a Simbot could be interesting. For Simbots you can replace the fridge with a junk pile and mummies won't need a bed.

ETA: I forgot aliens because I hardly play those litterers. They could probably survive on summoned meteors and so won't need a fridge either; technically they can do without a bed, too, but they need protection from climate, so they either need a roofed room or, again, a tent.
Instructor
Original Poster
#18 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 3:17 PM
Sims can catch on fire during summer? I must be doing something wrong with my game not to get all these interesting things. lol

You can socialize on your cellphone I guess, that takes care of that. The all in one bathroom saves 1 space from the combine sink and toilet. But I think b/c the bed is 3 spaces, the min "house" persay will still require a 3x3 minimum. Actually if we use a loft bed, free up the bottom 3 spaces, we can actually do with 3x2: bed on top, minifridge, toilet, sink on the bottom.

Yeah, if I remember correctly theres a chance but no guarantee for spontaneous combustion in summer. You guys do present some interesting ideas and challenges.
#19 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 6:42 PM
It's not random and just a matter of heating up continuously. The "sweating profusely" moodlet is the last warning that your Sim needs to cool down, otherwise their butt will go up in a blaze.

Genies, btw, are completely immune to all weather and temperature effects.
Instructor
Original Poster
#20 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 9:16 PM
It's not random and just a matter of heating up continuously. The "sweating profusely" moodlet is the last warning that your Sim needs to cool down, otherwise their butt will go up in a blaze.

Genies, btw, are completely immune to all weather and temperature effects.

OH, dang! Good to know then!
Instructor
Original Poster
#22 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 8:52 AM
Is there a way I can deliberately do this? I've seen the frozen one before, just have my sims run around naked in the snow. But so far, it is rare even when I see sunburn. Does it have to do with worlds? The only time I get sunburn sims is in IP from sunbathing and it is still rare. Virtually nothing like it in Riverview. I have my summer maxed at 14 days. Actually I see a lot of rain in summer, I don't get that. It rains more than in spring. I even have the less rain and snow mod.

I think it might have to do with a world's .ini file, at least to a certain degree.
#23 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 10:34 AM
Hm, first of all it needs to be sunny and hot outside (30°C/80°F and up), then a Sim needs to heat up until they get the Warm moodlet and they roll the wish to cool down. If they wear Swimwear at that moment that's when they get tanned. But you should have them wear everyday clothing at all time and not allow them anything that cools them down again until they receive the Sweating Profusely moodlet, which is the last step before they catch fire.

A sure way to achieve that is to have them live in a dilapidated house with missing walls, because it takes very long for an active Sim to have a dangerously high body temperature. I see it from time to time with inactives when they protest in front of City Hall for hours on end, because they start with a random body temperature once they come into high detail mode.

I, on the other hand, have never seen a sunburn. Go figure.