Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Aug 2019 at 7:14 PM
Default Can't change eye color: Sim has two simPE Resource Files
Not sure if this is the right place or not but here goes: Recently I discovered how to make default replacement eyes and decided to do a set. I like the Dark Blue one I had made much better than a custom one I had downloaded a while back and wanted to switch them out with already in-game sims. When I used SimPE to change all my existing sims eye colors I hit a snag on two of my sims, a set of twin boys in their teens. I noticed they each had two files associated with them. One of the files allows me to open the character file to change the eyes color in the age resource and a thumbnail from when they were tots. It doesn't have any other "correct" info for them. the second has all the "correct" info, including the DNA tab for me to change eye color, but the thumb is a red background potato head. When I click to open the character file on this second one nothing happens. I changed the values individually for both files on both sims for the eye color I wanted them to have, however it isn't showing in game, instead defaulting to Maxis' brown. I can still play the lot the boys are on with no problems but I would really like to have their eyes match their families'. Is there a way for me to combine these files or something? The one with the age resource is in a file named with a ".1" at the end which from what I've read is usually for non playable NPCs. I've also read that the red background potato head thumb means the sim was corrupted. I tried running Mootilda's Hood Checker to see if it would help but to no avail. I'm relatively new to using SimPE so if there is a way to fix this in SimPE can the instructions be as simple and easy to follow as possible, maybe with pics? Thanx in advance!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 21st Aug 2019 at 7:37 PM
Could be a bug (corruption) in the system, but I don't know how to fix it. Have you messed with any of their info or aged them up or down in other ways than via cake or auto-birthday, or had any crashes while saving on their lot?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Aug 2019 at 7:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Could be a bug (corruption) in the system, but I don't know how to fix it. Have you messed with any of their info or aged them up or down in other ways than via cake or auto-birthday, or had any crashes while saving on their lot?

Not to my recollection. It's a rather old family, 3rd gen created probably 6 years ago. However I only recently, like 2 years ago, discovered SimPE and due to my newness I avoided messing with character info until now with the eyes. I do use a lot of mods in my game. however I don't recall downloading any mods, or at the very least using any, that would mess with the sims data or ages. However due to how long I've had them I can't say with 100% certainty.
Scholar
#4 Old 22nd Aug 2019 at 5:23 PM
Without looking at your files I can't say what is going on with them. Normally, if you have a mod that overrides part of an NPC template the game will save those NPCs with split character files like that. The same thing will happen with regular sims but mods that override the sim template are between extremely rare and don't exist because sims get all of their behaviour from the person globals.
Normally, with a split NPC character file the part with the .1 in the file name is the keeper, the properly named file just contains the modded part. Normally you extract the usable bits from the properly named file and import/replace those bits into the file with the .1. Then delete the properly named file and rename the file with .1.

Whatever you do though backup your neighbourhood first, if the game is unable to read the character file it'll probably delete the sim from the neighbourhood when the neighbourhood loads.

I've never changed sim's eyes but changing a skin is done in the sim's dna in the neighbourhood file, I would have thought eyes would be the same. When the game loads a sim it'll repair a sim's genetics (unless you have a mod that prevents that) so changes in their character file are irrelevant.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Aug 2019 at 6:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chris Hatch
Without looking at your files I can't say what is going on with them. Normally, if you have a mod that overrides part of an NPC template the game will save those NPCs with split character files like that.

You mean like a mod that alters behavior? I do have a download that makes the mail man come earlier. Could that be the cause? Also is there a way for me to post the files here for you to look at? It's my first time posting here as well.

Quote: Originally posted by Chris Hatch
Normally, with a split NPC character file the part with the .1 in the file name is the keeper, the properly named file just contains the modded part. Normally you extract the usable bits from the properly named file and import/replace those bits into the file with the .1. Then delete the properly named file and rename the file with .1.

Could you explain how to do that? I'm fairly new to SimPE and couldn't figure out how exactly to do that. The .1 one is the file with the red potato head thumb. It does have all the right skills and other info though. So what exactly do I need to extract from the properly named one?

Quote: Originally posted by Christ Hatch
I've never changed sim's eyes but changing a skin is done in the sim's dna in the neighbourhood file, I would have thought eyes would be the same. When the game loads a sim it'll repair a sim's genetics (unless you have a mod that prevents that) so changes in their character file are irrelevant.

I was following a Tutorial that explained that changing the character file is not necessary but that not doing so may cause glitches so I changed it to be safe.
Scholar
#6 Old 23rd Aug 2019 at 3:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Genchan
I was following a Tutorial that explained that changing the character file is not necessary but that not doing so may cause glitches so I changed it to be safe.

Only a problem if you have a mod (like a skin changer mod) that prevents the game from checking and repairing sim's genetics.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Aug 2019 at 8:22 PM
Default Update:
Ok so I went into both character files and did a side by comparison of what was different.

Both Boys were missing the following:
0x0F9F0C21 (UNK)
Age Data (AGED)
Edith Simantics Behaviour Labels (TPRP)
jpg/tga/png Image (IMG)

This File was showing a different number in parenthesis:
Material Definition (TXMT)

And one boy (the other didn't have it in either file) was missing this:
Sim Relations (SREL)

I was able to figure out how to extract the resources and add them to the correct file. I then deleted the bad files and renamed the good. However when I tried to load the family, to verify it worked, the game crashed. I re-instated from my backup so all's well but can anyone help me figure out why the game crashed? Could it have been the Material Definition File? Should I not have replaced the existing data with it? When I added those values I did delete the old ones; should I have kept them?