Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jan 2018 at 1:48 PM Last edited by murfee : 8th Jan 2018 at 12:37 PM.
Default Removing Fire Pit charred state overlay? [RESOLVED]
Hello again!

This time I'm wondering how to get rid of the burn overlay that appears when sims use fire pits -- every time I make one it happens, but as far as I can tell there are no stencils or geostates making them appear. Is it maybe an effect attached to a joint or something?

Just curious if anyone's come across this issue and knows how to fix it.
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 7th Jan 2018 at 4:46 PM
If you go to OBJD, then grid, right under CommonBlock, there should be a tab thingy saying 'FireType'. And from there there should be this drop down That's the easy way around it, unless you do want it to get burned when it's on fire?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Jan 2018 at 4:17 AM
Haven't you heard; flammable disposable fire pits are all the rage nowadays! They burn along with your food! Save planet earth today~~!
Alright, enough of me being a corny idiot.

Anyways, yes, it's already set to Does Not Burn.
Something else is going on -- it's a strange burnt overlay that pops up all over the mesh on all of my firepits as soon as they turn on.
(I point it out here: http://murfeelee.tumblr.com/post/10...pit-as-fire-pit)

Before:

After:

This dark charred patina suddenly pops up all over, and it happens on all my fire pits, but it's especially annoying on lghter textures like the one in the 2 pics.
Virtual gardener
#4 Old 8th Jan 2018 at 11:52 AM
So I took a look at it in TSRW, and I might see what's going on? It might require you to remap it all (Hopefully not!).

The fire pits all have a different material, this material is basically an 'overlay' when your sim turns on the thing. Thus, showing some hot bright coal basically.

Let's take a look in the mesh tab, you see how in the second group (that being just the mesh, not the shadow mesh) has another material tab when you expand 'extra' right? When looking at the tab that shows up then, we see the dirtoverlay. This is important, since it's basically your burnt effect but... well I mean it says dirt overlay and I'm pretty sure you know what an overlay texture does So what I'd check out is whether your own multiply map and that dirt overlay map is working well together or not
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Jan 2018 at 12:37 PM Last edited by murfee : 8th Jan 2018 at 1:10 PM.
You are absolutely right!! I never noticed that little extra section before, holy crap!
Yup, the stupid charcoal bit is making the whole thing wonky cuz of the different UVs.
(And the Diffuse was set to 127 x3 rather than 255 x3, making the whole thing darker overall, which...no.)

It was still acting up even after I fixed the overlay texture, and clicking Make Empty made the whole mesh glow a demonic radioactive red (no thank you, Satan!), so yeah, there's a UV mapping discrepancy going on somehow.

But whatever; I cheated and just nuked the entire Dirt Overlay entry, huehuehue. >:D

I have no idea what's going on here in the second Materials entry under Extras, but I'll leave it and see what happens.

Thank you!!! :lovestruc
Virtual gardener
#6 Old 9th Jan 2018 at 4:09 PM
Oh no don't worry about the 0x0000000 materials they're just... there! I don't really know why but I do notice if you edit or delete them the entire mesh will go weird on you so I'd just pretend those don't exist because really... they are nothing (Maybe a bit too deep here :P...)

You're welcome!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 9th Jan 2018 at 6:55 PM
Yup, I just left that one bit alone. XD
The rest of it turned out perfectly though; no more burnt overlay texture! Thanks!