Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
#14201 Old 2nd Jul 2018 at 3:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
You may also want to try Cyjon's Smarter Chair Selection. I've noticed they'll start sitting around on the lower levels when listening to performances after I installed it.

Will this conflict with MogHughson's watch tv from all chairs mod?

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#14202 Old 2nd Jul 2018 at 4:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Primavera
Will this conflict with MogHughson's watch tv from all chairs mod?

I have both and I've never noticed any conflict between them.
Inventor
#14203 Old 2nd Jul 2018 at 4:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
I have both and I've never noticed any conflict between them.

Okay, I have that Cyjon mod downloaded but never installed it because of the other one. Now I know

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14204 Old 2nd Jul 2018 at 4:58 AM
Good to know there is no clash, I have the angled TV watching mod.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#14205 Old 2nd Jul 2018 at 5:01 AM
I noticed a conflict with Argon's instruments but it didn't have any noticable effect in-game.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Forum Resident
#14206 Old 2nd Jul 2018 at 5:09 AM
You may also want to try Cyjon's Smarter Chair Selection. I've noticed they'll start sitting around on the lower levels when listening to performances after I installed it.

Ooooh shiny! Thanks Bulbizarre!
Mad Poster
#14207 Old 2nd Jul 2018 at 7:42 AM
Is there a way to modify the Sim Blender in SimPE so I can stick it onto a counter without an OMSP?

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
just a girl
#14208 Old 2nd Jul 2018 at 11:04 AM
Is there a way to modify the Sim Blender in SimPE so I can stick it onto a counter without an OMSP?

Yes. You can add new line to its Init function, as follows:
Code:
[prim 0x0002] Expression (My 0x0004 (allowed height flags) Set Flag flag# Literal 0x0004 (on counter))

(Make sure new line is linked from the previous one and returns true.)
This takes effect when you buy new object or reset existing one.
Scholar
#14209 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 5:42 AM
Is there anything similar to the wardrobe wrangler in terms of quick texture previews for a large amount of files?

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Mad Poster
#14210 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 12:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bubblebeam
Is there anything similar to the wardrobe wrangler in terms of quick texture previews for a large amount of files?

You can use the Clean Installer to get previews of file textures.
Mad Poster
#14211 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 1:31 PM
Anyone fully tested how surfaces (end tables, coffee tables, desk, dining, etc.) differ from each other? If so, can anyone of you please provide your observation in detail?

As far as I can tell, sims tend to put bills If there is an end table or desk at least. If there aren't any, they just put it on a ground a few feet away from the mailbox. As for coffee, they put hence the thing on it unless it's not present so they prefer to choose an end table If I'm right. If even that isn't even available, where do they put the cup? Or all this prioritization is determined which surface object is closest?

Quote: Originally posted by terula8
This is a terribly stupid question, but I realised that the game sees 'stages' as a separate room, which makes it nearly impossible to get my sims to listen to music or dance to the DJ when the musicians / DJ Booth are positioned on the stage. It's seriously irritating. I feel like there must be a fix for this but alas.

Ah what?! That's a hugely disappointing oversight. Not that I ever tried making a 'concert', but damn I was planning to.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Alchemist
#14212 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 2:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Anyone fully tested how surfaces (end tables, coffee tables, desk, dining, etc.) differ from each other? If so, can anyone of you please provide your observation in detail?

As far as I can tell, sims tend to put bills If there is an end table or desk at least. If there aren't any, they just put it on a ground a few feet away from the mailbox.

Not an answer, I know, but this is an essential mod in my game to keep up with the bills. They'll put them on the little shelf. http://modthesims.info/d/566206

This has got to be a stupid question, or, I kinda hope it is. The transition between the TAB camera and the live camera. I position it just so, then it jumps to looking at the floor or something when I switch to live... not always, but often, and I can't figure out what I'm doing to have this happen. So irritating. Is there something I don't know that would fix this? Either an easy in game thing I've missed or a camera parameter?
Mad Poster
#14213 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 2:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
If there are two fridges on a residential lot, can the Sims who live there buy (and use) enough food to fill them both?
May I bump my last question, and add a new one?

It's about the Welcome Wagon. Most Sims seem to get visitors shortly after 12 noon on their first day. But there are exceptions to this. I'm playing along (rather behind schedule) in Jo's Strangetown Trading Places contest. The Beakers (with Nervous Subject) have moved into the Curious Brothers old house in Cover Up Road. Loki is at work, but Circe and Nervous are in the house. It's now past half past two and no one has come, so it looks like they're not coming today. Does the Welcome Wagon not come if you're moving into a house that other Sims have recently vacated?

I've seen other times when the Welcome Wagon came when I'd already given up hope of it coming. Bianca Monty had been in her downtown home for almost a week when 3 shopkeepers from Bluewater came over to welcome her. I suspect they were really just touting for business. Unfortunately she was out at work. I hadn't even bought OFB when she moved in.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Instructor
#14214 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 3:03 PM
As for your first question, yes they can. When you order groceries you will be able to buy more (for example, if you have 2 fridges, you would be able to buy 1200 simoleons worth of groceries, if I'm not mistaken).

Can't help you with the welcome wagon, though.

Nice Rachel we're having.
My C:Simblr!
Mad Poster
#14215 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 3:44 PM
And somewhat related to PRIOR questions:
CC mini-fridges - I have TWO; one is supposed to be ONLY for baby bottles, but Sims use BOTH for putting away leftovers! They will hike upstairs to use the "bottles only" fridges, when they are standing right next to the kitchen fridge, geerrrrrrr!
ALSO: why put bills on the stairs?! They use the first step of these CC stairs...odd coding?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#14216 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 5:09 PM
I've ran into the issue with the bottle fridges. Sometimes Sims will put $600 worth of groceries into it too.

Instructor
#14217 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 6:11 PM
Will using the Compressorizer on a 1.66GB downloads folder amount to a somewhat significant change in loading times?

Nice Rachel we're having.
My C:Simblr!
Mad Poster
#14218 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 6:19 PM
Depends on how much was already compressorized. Try it and find out.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Undead Molten Llama
#14219 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 6:58 PM
Unfortunately, Compressorizing files doesn't significantly decrease loading time. In all of my testing over the years with various amounts of CC on different machines, the game loads in about the same time either way, compressed or not. In fact, sometimes it took a minute or two longer with compression, but that could be because I don't think the game takes exactly the same amount of time to load every time you play it. What compressing WILL do will make your game and its CC take up less space on whatever hard drive you have installed it on. (You can compress anything in .package format, not just CC.) There are many things you can do to decrease loading time, but compressing files isn't one of them.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Alchemist
#14220 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 7:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
What compressing WILL do will make your game and its CC take up less space on whatever hard drive you have installed it on. (You can compress anything in .package format, not just CC.) There are many things you can do to decrease loading time, but compressing files isn't one of them.

Can you tell us some of the other ways?
Undead Molten Llama
#14221 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 8:04 PM Last edited by iCad : 4th Jul 2018 at 8:21 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
Can you tell us some of the other ways?

Sure. In my experience, the most effective things to do -- outside of A) Reducing the amount of CC you have or B) Hardware upgrades -- are:

-- Eliminate all special characters from file names, so that all folder and file names consist only of upper-case letters, lower-case letters, the numbers 0-9, and hyphens and underscores. Nothing else. No spaces, brackets, parentheses, ampersands, asterisks, etc. If you have a lot of file names that need to be fixed, it's best to use a bulk renaming utility to do it or else it'll take you a long time.

-- Get rid of anything in your Downloads folder that isn't a .package file. Don't keep pics of your CC, text-format instructions, or any zip/rar/7z archives in your Downloads folder. JUST .package files. Keep everything else somewhere else.

-- Reduce the total number of subfolders in your Downloads folder. Particularly, keep folders to (ideally) two levels or less. So, a t the "deepest" a file path would look like Downloads/Folder A/Folder B/ccfile.package Yes, I can see you OCD-organizer folks cringing, but stuff loads faster if it ISN'T buried in multiple folders. Basically, you have to decide which you value more: Your meticulous organization style or how quickly your game loads.

-- If you play multiple neighborhoods where a certain kind of CC is used only in one of them (Like, say you have a modern game and a medieval one), consider separating out that one kind of CC into a separate folder that you load into the game only when you intend to play the neighborhood that uses that kind of CC. (So, if you want to play your medieval game, you load up all the stuff you need for that but none of the modern stuff you won't use in that neighborhood.)

-- Possibly, merge your CC. I have not done this, myself, so I cannot speak from experience. And it does have disadvantages (like, it makes it harder to delete CC because you have to un-merge, delete, then re-merge, and it makes it harder to share lots/Sims including CC because merged stuff won't package), but some people have claimed that doing it significantly decreased their load times. There are some tutes on how to do it floating around on Tumblr, but I haven't got time to look for it now because we're leaving for a July 4th thing shortly.

But mostly? Aside from hardware specs, the thing that has the most effect on load time is reducing the total number of files you have. There is no way a game that has, say, 10GB of CC is going to load in two minutes. I have some evidence, though, that not all CC is "equal" in terms of how it affects load time. For instance, if I load up a game with 2GB of CC in which most of it is mods (which are very small) and (relatively) small things like Maxis recolors and Maxis-like meshes with a smaller percentage of hair, the game loads faster than a 2GB game where that 2GB is mostly/all large hair files and huge things like terrain defaults and custom skies. This is why I'm kinda skeptical about merging CC, which creates fewer but much larger files, but since many people I've talked to have reported faster loading with merged CC, perhaps such merged files (where multiple pieces of cc are bundled into one larger package) are read differently than one huge file with one mesh and one huge texture.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Inventor
#14222 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 9:06 PM
Is there a program that can hunt down a piece of CC that went bad? I tried sending my sims to a community lot last night and they kept resetting with their UI icons changing. 'Walk to/Call Taxi... Community Lot' and 'Visit... Lot' don't work anymore but 'Visit Sim' still does. I already pulled my Downloads folder and it's definitely CC related.

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Mad Poster
#14223 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 9:34 PM
You need to do a binary search. Pull out half of your downloads folder, and then you will know which half the bad CC is in. Then pull out half of that, etc.
Forum Resident
#14224 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 9:53 PM Last edited by didyouevenmakeasound : 4th Jul 2018 at 11:07 PM.
Can anyone give me their opinion on whether this farm looks too crammed in this small area?
It consists of two lots, the first one being thebarn and main house, and then a 1x6 lot with a cottage at the bottom, which I plan to use as a house for the farmer's parents.
I can't decide whether it looks too crowded or whether it's just quite homey
Alchemist
#14225 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 9:56 PM
my question about turning sims into townie types; was thinking of Apartment Life's social groups.
downloaded and installed townie-brick and teleporter-cat. where in game should they be?

the launcher added with Bon Voyage (or later); did not see icons for Mansion & Garden or for any of the holiday packs. are extra icons added when those packs are installed?
Page 569 of 1339