Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Apr 2019 at 7:23 AM
Which body shape should I model for?
Warning!: Total modding noob question ahead!

Alrighty, so, since all genders can wear the same clothing, what body shape should I model for? I'm figuring it's one shape, unless they ended up remodeling all the original content in the game to support both body types, but since you can only put 1 model for each LOD in Sims4 Studio, Imma take a wild guess that this isn't the case. Or at least I'm seriously hoping it isn't because things will be a whole lot easier if they just morph 1 model for both.

So, in a nutshell, I just need to know if I should model my clothing meshes with room for the chesticles or not. If there are any other nuances I should know about for other CC types as well, honestly, I wouldn't much complain if you decided to share those as well.

Thank you in advanced for your time!
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 27th Apr 2019 at 5:23 PM
You should use whichever gender mesh you intend to be the main wearer of the clothing. There's no gender-neutral body shapes past childhood.

Gender fluidity in TS4 is done with morphs the same way the fat/fit/bony/flabby body types and all other body shaping is done. There's a male-to-female morph and a female-to-male morph. Mechanisms in the meshes are used to stitch together any gaps or overlaps at the neck, waist, and ankles. For clothes that don't look good using the morph, a similar opposite-sex piece of clothing is designated to be automatically used instead.

If you want to make clothing for males that'll look good on female frames, you need to made the chest with vertices weighted to the breast bones and arranged so expansion of the breasts will have a breast-like shape.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Apr 2019 at 3:30 AM
Thank you! That is exactly the information I needed. Sounds like, if I set it up in a way similar to how I typically do my fitted clothing meshes for SL, but just with the sims rig instead, then it sounds like I should be in pretty good shape. (No pun intended)

If I am not accounting for something, please lemme know. I'm currently in the "Best guess" stage of content creation when it comes to the sims so I'm kind of relying on what I learned from other platforms and hoping I guess right a lot.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#4 Old 28th Apr 2019 at 11:04 AM

The main complications for TS4 clothing are the second uv for the morphs and getting the right vertex color. There's also the stitch data and arm positioning data but the available tools will mostly do that for you. Good luck!

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4