Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 5:46 PM Last edited by fogsims : 13th Jul 2017 at 8:17 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default No Voices
Hello, I'm a sims 2 player and I've been struggling to find a solution to my problem.
Basically, my sims don't have voices, when they talk they only move lips, they won't say any word, the voices setting is all the way up in the game audio options, other sounds are there, I can hear the sims picking up stuff or walking or the tv or anything else but talking.
I tried everything I thought of, I removed my Downlods folder and tested it out, nothing. I looked it up on the internet, still nothing.
If you ever experienced this kind of problem and/or know the solution for it, please help me.

I have Windows 10 and I have an Asus Laptop.
My PC specs:
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
System Model: X540LJ
Memory: 4096MB RAM
DirextX version: DirectX 12

Thank you.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 6:16 PM
So it started suddenly?
Did you go through the Game Problem solving thing?
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...lp:Game_Problem

Also is it the Ultimate Collection or the regular installation through disks?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 6:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lili975
So it started suddenly?
Did you go through the Game Problem solving thing?
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...lp:Game_Problem

Also is it the Ultimate Collection or the regular installation through disks?
I did look at the help thing and got nothing. And I have all the expansion packs and stuff packs, NOT the ultimate collection from Origin.
And no, it was a problem from the start. I got a new laptop and installed all of my games and NEVER had voices. I also tried uninstalling and installing again and still nothing.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 6:51 PM
It could be the antivirus or W10, I have W10 on an ASUS laptop too and don't have problems, but some people have files "eaten".
The voices seem to be located in each EPs install folders in TSData\Res\Sound. Do you have Voice1.package, Voice2.package, and so on in those folders?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 8:03 PM
It could be the antivirus or W10, I have W10 on an ASUS laptop too and don't have problems, but some people have files "eaten".
The voices seem to be located in each EPs install folders in TSData\Res\Sound. Do you have Voice1.package, Voice2.package, and so on in those folders?
I don't have any kind of antivirus installed, I don't know if it comes with windows though but I never installed any.
And I just checked every Sound folder, that's what I found:
•In The Sims 2 Base Game, University, and Nightlife: no Voice Packages.
•In Pets, Bon Voyage, Apartment Life, Seasons and Freetime: Voice1 - Voice2 - Voice3 - Voice6 - VoiceR1 - VoiceR2
•In Open For Business: Voice1 - Voice2 - Voice3 - Voice4 - Voice5 - Voice6 - VoiceR1 - VoiceR2

And that's all the Voice.package(s) I found in each EPs install folder.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 9:38 PM Last edited by Lili975 : 27th Jun 2017 at 10:21 PM.
So you ARE missing some files! I have more than that! I'll update this post with what I have in a minute(Updated).
If someone else could have a look at their install files, for safety (I have the Double Deluxe version).

•In The Sims 2 Base Game, University, and Nightlife: Voice1 - Voice2 -Voice3 - Voice4 - Voice5 - Voice6
•In Pets, Bon Voyage, Apartment Life, Seasons and Freetime: Voice1 - Voice2 - Voice3 - Voice6 - VoiceR1 - VoiceR2
•In Open For Business: Voice1 - Voice2 - Voice3 - Voice4 - Voice5 - Voice6 - VoiceR1 - VoiceR2

In M&G, I also have Voice1, Voice2 and Voice6.

The SPs I have (all except Holiday and Ikea) don't have voices in those folders.

Do you have the disks available to grab the missing files from them? I'm going to check my disks to see what's there. Maybe manually adding the files can solve the issue.

Edit: I've checked the disks (Base, Uni, NL, M&G), they have the same voice.packages as those I listed above. I have them extracted in case you can't grab your disks right now.

I also compared the voice1.package from the Base game, and the one from AL, and they're not the same. The BG one is a much heavier (and older) package. So, chances are the voice is contained in the BG package, and the newer packages with the same name, introduced in later EPs, are just more sounds but which can't work without the original package. Let's hope so.

(For the antivirus, you should have Windows Defender pre-installed with W10 I think.
It's behaving on my computer but that might depend on settings and such.)
Alchemist
#7 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 10:01 PM
if there are no sounds at all from any game/program, the problem might be the computer's speakers.
if just sim voices are absent, the problem might be game setting.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 10:16 PM
In The Sims 2 Base Game (base game disk not DD) I have voice 1 through to 6. So 6 files. I would say if you are missing those that would be your problem. Was your disk new or second hand?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 11:08 PM
So you ARE missing some files! I have more than that! I'll update this post with what I have in a minute(Updated).
If someone else could have a look at their install files, for safety (I have the Double Deluxe version).

•In The Sims 2 Base Game, University, and Nightlife: Voice1 - Voice2 -Voice3 - Voice4 - Voice5 - Voice6

In M&G, I also have Voice1, Voice2 and Voice6.

The SPs I have (all except Holiday and Ikea) don't have voices in those folders.

Do you have the disks available to grab the missing files from them? I'm going to check my disks to see what's there. Maybe manually adding the files can solve the issue.

Edit: I've checked the disks (Base, Uni, NL, M&G), they have the same voice.packages as those I listed above. I have them extracted in case you can't grab your disks right now.

I also compared the voice1.package from the Base game, and the one from AL, and they're not the same. The BG one is a much heavier (and older) package. So, chances are the voice is contained in the BG package, and the newer packages with the same name, introduced in later EPs, are just more sounds but which can't work without the original package. Let's hope so.

(For the antivirus, you should have Windows Defender pre-installed with W10 I think.
It's behaving on my computer but that might depend on settings and such.)
thank you SO much, you really helped me with all of that! Hopefully, if I get the files that you listed maybe it'll work. And I actually can't get my CDs right now because I don't have them, but I'll try and figure something out. Thank you so much again!
When I add them in some way, I'll test my game out and inform me.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 11:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
if there are no sounds at all from any game/program, the problem might be the computer's speakers.
if just sim voices are absent, the problem might be game setting.
I checked my computer speakers and everything is fine. And like I said, the game settings in sounds are maxed all the way up.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 11:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
In The Sims 2 Base Game (base game disk not DD) I have voice 1 through to 6. So 6 files. I would say if you are missing those that would be your problem. Was your disk new or second hand?
I hope that that's the problem so now I can fix it somehow, and my base game disc was second hand. I'll try to fill the Sound files the way Lili told me in the previous post, and update it here if it works or not.
Thank you.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 13th Jul 2017 at 8:06 AM
UPDATE: I have added the voice files that I was missing which were listed previously. I added the files I found on my sims 2 disc and the voices were BACK. But I don't have my university and nightlife CD right now so I can't add the files I was missing, but I'm sure that if I add it, the voices that were part of the game (school cheer, entertaining <singing/rapping>) will show up.
Thank you so much for helping me.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 13th Jul 2017 at 9:38 AM
Aw, that's great news! I'm glad it turned out to be such an easy fix. Although being unable to hear the school cheer over and over again sounds more like a blessing^^