Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Apr 2018 at 5:18 AM
Default How to Deal With a Quarter-Life Crisis (if that's even a thing...)
How do you handle realizing that you're miserable enough to need to make big changes in just about every aspect of your life?

I've known for a while that I wasn't wild about where my social life is, and have been trying to figure out ways to improve that, but I've recently realized that I'm just as miserable with my career and where I live and stuff like that too. I'm still in grad school, so I can't move cross-country right now (though I'm thinking more and more that I should once I've got my master's), and as far as work, well, I just got what should be a great foot-in-the-door position that lots of the people I've worked with would be thrilled with, and I'm realizing that I'm even MORE unhappy now that I have that job than I was when I was trying to get it.

So I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that I need to make big changes in just about everything 'significant,' from career to home to relationships to what-have-you, but that kind of leaves me without an anchor point to make changes around... Have any of you dealt with this kind of situation? How did you handle it?

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 26th Apr 2018 at 6:18 AM
Of course I've delt with the same, when you get set back on your heels and have to look at your core. What was I trying to do here? What do I really want? What seemed like a good idea at the time...well maybe it WAS, but now I've changed and what I want has changed. But ME, my deepest beliefs, are still me. And change can be hard .."the evil I know" and force of habit. I've gone through that with relationships. I went through that when my lifelong interest in medical stuff took me to college - but my part-time job at Orange Coast General hospital let me know I didn't like being around sick people. And the politics and stupid drama with the people there made ME sick! I should have gone into some related field like research, but instead totally got sidetracked by men... My advice? You don't need it! You are one of the brightest and most spirt-guided person I know. Namaste

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#3 Old 26th Apr 2018 at 11:57 AM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 26th Apr 2018 at 1:29 PM.
My quarter life crisis is currently in progress.

I'm currently applying to an agency to get a job and what triggered it was my personal stagnant environment. I was getting tired of living paycheck to paycheck, so I started a process of job hunting. It's been a rough couple of months, but I will finally see the agency and they'll find a suitable job based on the conditions.

I am handling fine otherwise.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 26th Apr 2018 at 8:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
but that kind of leaves me without an anchor point to make changes around...

That's okay- make yourself a new anchor. You don't necessarily have to know what you're looking for to go and seek it.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 27th Apr 2018 at 3:42 PM
I was around your age when I decided to make big changes. I moved away to another state with a friend. It didn't bring me anything positive in terms of anything I hoped for, but it was change.... A friend of mine recently made a lot of big decisions about most aspects of her life. Her advice, "Don't do everything at once." It may be too much of a shock to the system. But now that you are looking for something to change, I'm sure you'll figure it out. Let us know how it goes

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.