Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 6:40 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise
Default Saving the game taking a ridiculously long time
I'm experiencing astronomically long saving times (~10-15 mins), and I'm not sure why it's happening.

My PC should be able to handle it without a hitch:

I don't think I have any mods that would be causing problems:

I have already done all the cache and thumbnails clearing in the FAQ. The saving time doesn't seem to be affected by the amount of data being saved (though I don't really know how it works) - I can open a saved game, do nothing, and immediately save it again and it will still take as long as it would if I had played for hundreds of sim-days.

The amount of time usually hovers between 5 and 20 minutes. The most common time I've recorded is around 8 minutes, but there have been times when I have been able to hit save, take a shower, and come back and still have to wait a significant amount of time.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Is there a fix?

you mean you don't lust after death? you don't wanna go on a romantic cruise to hell with death? you don't wanna give death an oil massage?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#3 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 5:06 PM
Version 1.x of Save Cleaner will still work with Patch 1.69, it's just not as thorough and doesn't hit the TravelDB file.

I would also add to the above,

3) Add in NRaas MasterController and try doing a Reset Everything, run from City Hall. This is a pretty intrusive operation, I try to restrict running it to the middle of the sim night when I need to, as it resets every sim, lot, and object in town which is usually in the tens of thousands of things to process. It can take a good 10-15 minutes to run, depending on the world. But it catches a fair amount of junk that Overwatch and ErrorTrap are slower to notice or just skip over. I run one around every six sim weeks or so.

4) While this may not be it, I would be afraid to run this game seriously hard on a drive that is also running the OS but only has 20 GB free. That's generally a bit tight for both the game and Windows to maneuver. Is there no way to clear up another 10 GB or so of space by shifting some things over to the HDD?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 4:24 AM
Thanks so much for the thorough explanation and the mod links. I'm glad to hear that there aren't any outstanding issues with my game or my computer. I've probably recently noticed the longer wait times because I'm playing with longer family trees than I'm used to - I didn't even think about that when considering save times, but it makes total sense. It's kind of ridiculous that a game that takes so long to save would pass QA, but...

Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Is there no way to clear up another 10 GB or so of space by shifting some things over to the HDD?

Unfortunately, no - almost all of that space is made up of older apps that absolutely will not run on another disk (old versions of Visual Studio, Premiere, OED database, etc). For most things I make sure to manually set the HDD as a scratch disk. Will have to check if I've done it for Sims since it's been a while since it was installed.

you mean you don't lust after death? you don't wanna go on a romantic cruise to hell with death? you don't wanna give death an oil massage?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 6:32 AM
I would also want to know where Windows is paging to. If the paging files (virtual memory) are on the SSD, that could potentially be using/reserving an awful lot of space.