Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 5:55 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Lots of weird glitches after moving sims out of dorm and then back in
I was trying to move a sim out of a dorm and into a lot but I moved the wrong sims out and then right back in. Since then I'm experiencing some odd problems in every neighborhood, not just the one I was playing. First of all, when I moved the sims back into the dorm, I went in to find that all the dormies were there, but their faces weren't on the doors of the rooms they had claimed. Then I found that I can't place things in inventories. I can grab things but when I place them in the inventory, they stay outside. As a consequence, I also can't have them craft things. The finished item doesn't appear in the inventory and the crafting station becomes unusable. Another problem is that I can't have them plan new outfits, they just change back into their old clothes, I can't make their portraits regenerate, either, not by having them change their appearance in the mirror or the batbox. Then another problem is that I can't save. It looks like the game is saving, it finishes saving but when I leave the lot, I find that it hasn't. Even if I move a sim out of a lot, when I leave that lot they're not in the family bin. And lastly, there are neighborhoods that came with EP's and I haven't ever played and when I try to enter one of them the game crashes while creating pets.

I have a boatload of cc but I've had it for years, I know all the conflicts that might arise and I use clean installer. Removing it didn't help. My laptop can more than handle the sims 2, as it has an i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, etc. The sims 2 use the integrated gpu, which is an Intel HD graphics 4600, I've never been able to make them use the dedicated gpu. I need to reinstall, don't I?
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 6:02 AM
Moving your sims out reset the dorm, so their faces on none of the doors is normal. Not being able to use inventory is a glitch though. Have you checked with a variety of items? Did you choose 'make many' or just make one on the crafting table? if you make one it will sit on the table until you tell the sim to sell it or you grab and sell it with the hand tool.

Did you recently download a sim to saved sims with cc that could have snuck in?

Have you tried resetting the sims by move objects on, delete with hand tool, save and reload the lot?

Did you rebuy their beds?

Some of that sounds like hood corruption unfortunately. have you run hood checker?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 6:34 AM
The only items I can place in their inventories are items that were already in there, I forgot to specify that. I can take those out and put them back in but nothing else.

I haven't downloaded anything new in quite some time, no cc, no sims, no lots, no nothing.

I've tried to reset sims by forcing errors on them, by deleting them and by using the batbox to force errors on in world and off-world.

I'd completely forgotten about the hood checker. I just tried it and it crashes. I went back into the game and it looks like I can save now but all other problems remain. I guess it's time to re-install. I haven't had a game corrupt in years and I have no idea: is it ok to package lots and transfer them to the new install? I have backed up my downloads folder but, stupidly, not the neighborhoods... I can let go of the sims but not some of my lots. :P
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 8:25 AM
No its not time to reinstall, reinstalling only fixes issues in your installation files on C drive, which in most cases has nothing to do with your hoods stored in your documents. Hood corruption isn't game corruption.

Next check your sims in simPE. How do they look? If that load you should be able to extract the likeness of your sims.

As for lots I would use Chris Hatch's lot cleaner on them and remove all sim references in SimPE before packaging them or you will be carrying over trouble.

Your game has likely been corrupted for some months. Just because you don't see a lot of trouble doesn't mean that data isn't being misread/got messed up. Do you have all the essential mods? have you done any of the VBT that cause hood corruption. (moved occupied houses to the bin, owned business lots to the bin, moved sims between hoods, deleted sims,deleted graves, downloaded an occupied house, pulled out NPC based CC?

There is also Hood Replace, that will allow you to make a copy of roads, terrain and deco http://modthesims.info/d/279992.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 9:07 AM
I'm thinking that I need a new install rather than new neighborhoods because the same glitches happen on all of them, even ones I haven't played and if I try to load a new neighborhood, the game crashes.

I try to keep corruption to a minimum but I've also been playing the same neighborhoods for over 3 years, so I'm pretty sure I've screwed up somewhere. I have saved a game guide on how to avoid corruption, though, and I try to follow it. I have most mods (except for the Cyjon ones), I clear gossip often, especially from dead sims, I don't mess with uneditable characters, I don't download occupied houses or move anything other than sims to the bin, I don't delete graves (although I had a few disappear a few months ago and I had to respawn them), I don't use deleteall anything, I don't play the Ottomas family, I haven't seen any squiggly lines in thought bubbles nor have I had the jump bug, etc. The only think I can think of that I've done before is that I've bulldozed lots, plus I might have saved while there were active ghosts on a lot without noticing.

I was pretty sure I'd saved clean templates of the Maxis neighborhoods somewhere but I can't find them. I'll download some new ones later today and remove all of my neighborhoods and see what happens. If the game crashes or the glitches persist, I'll just reinstall and get it over with. Thanks for your answers and one last question: I haven't been able to get the hood checker to work since I installed windows 10. Is there a way to make it work so I can try that one, too?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 9:14 AM
Okay so with all CC pulled to the desktop your game still crashes?

Have you deleted the cache files? Try also the neighbourhood manager file.

Are you on disks or the UC?

The Ottomas family are fine to paly so long as Season's is patched. Do you have all patches (not needed on the UC)

Someone else will have to answer about windows 10 I stick to Win 7. I do know people on Win 10 use it though, maybe it's a matter of setting it's path.

Another thought, try regenerating your game in case it's other files under documents. Just rename it and load to force it to make a new sims 2 folder. If that crashes cc free then yes you may have a corrupt install. It's pretty hard to corrupt your install.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 9:21 AM
Yeah, the game still crashes even if I pull all CC.

I delete the cache files often but since these glitches started happening yesterday, the game hasn't regenerated any files other the ones in the thumbnails folder.

I got the UC from Origin when it was free.

I thought that if Samantha Ottomas or Sarah Crittur gave birth it caused corruption so I avoid them but I don't tend to play premade sims or neighborhoods, anyway, so it's not a big deal.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 11:24 AM
The UC is fully patched so Samantha can give birth just fine. Sarah may be fixed too, I think.

I find it strange that the game keeps on crashing without cc. Do you perhaps use a CC cleaner of some kind? (Those may delete files the game needs to run, so they should be avoided if you don't know exactly how to set them not to do so). Have you tried to repair the game in Origin?
Mad Poster
#9 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 3:32 PM
It sounds like your game is read-only. Win 10 happens to do this sometimes.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#10 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 4:09 PM
I use HoodChecker without problems on Windows 10, and I didn't have to set anything up specially. Are you using the most up-to-date version of HoodChecker? What problems do you encounter when using it, exactly?

(And yes, definitely do check whether your game files in Documents are read-only. They shouldn't be.)

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 4:40 PM
The code that broke the Ottomas and Crittur pregnancies has been patched. Both of those families are completely safe.

The problem was that sims who are created in independent subhoods, such as the stealth hoods, are renumbered when added to a neighborhood. The code to assign the new ID number in the pregnancy controller wasn't written properly, so the baby's father would be set to whatever sim in the neighborhood had the original ID number. This was fixed years ago.

Since the proliferation of fan-made subhoods, many with ongoing pregnancies, we've discovered that the code that double-checks the pregnancies sometimes overcorrects if the father's ID number is very low. So if you have a subhood in which someone is pregnant by the pollination technician, such as Tarlia's Strangetown subhood or Meadow Creek, you need to check the pregnancy controller for that pregnancy and correct it before the birth. Otherwise, this problem is solved.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 6:03 PM
Ok, I found the problem. I downloaded AVG tuneup a few days ago and it looks like it messed up the game, there are entire folders missing from the Program Files and, for some reason, N004 in the Documents folder is also empty. I've been using similar programs for years with no problem and it didn't even occur to me that this one would cause such a thing. Good thing I haven't purchased it yet. If I repair the game through Origin, will the missing files be replaced?

It also was read-only again, which I think has caused me problems in the past but, again, I completely forgot to check that, too.

As for the Hood Checker, I just downloaded it again to make sure but it crashes as soon as I hit start.

Thanks again for the replies!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#13 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 6:45 PM
Repairing the game through Origin will fix the missing stuff in Program Files, but it can't fix the files that were deleted from Documents. Do bear in mind that it will also remove any mods you have installed in Program Files, like modified 'hood templates or Catalog mods.

What does HoodChecker say when it crashes? (The crash may be down to your NeighborhoodManager.package being corrupted, but it may not)

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 6:54 PM
Yeah, so I'm reinstalling the game. Damn. I've had neighborhoods that I've played for years in 3 different laptops. This won't be fun...

The HoodChecker just stops responding at it crashes, it doesn't really tell me why it crashes. I'll try it again after I've re-installed and see what happens.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#15 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 7:33 PM
You don't need to reinstall - repairing will do the same thing.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 9:15 PM
But what about the missing files in the EA folder in the Documents? How can I restore those? I don't have the entire Sims 2 folder backed up anywhere.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 9:45 PM
Repairing will put all the missing files back and you get to keep your downloads (except those in the program folder) - no need to reinstall at all Be careful of those cleaning up things.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 10:07 PM
Oh, thank God then. Nysha said above that repairing won't fix the missing files that were deleted from the Documents folder and I've been dreading reinstalling, so I keep seeing it as the only solution, lol. Thanks for the help again!
Mad Poster
#19 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 10:16 PM
And in the future, remember to back up frequently!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 10:32 PM
Or in my case remember to put your a$$hole cat on a catheter so she can't pee on everything that doesn't smell like home whenever you come back from a trip because that's what happened to my backups, lol.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#21 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 4:54 PM
Justpetro is correct that repairing will restore all the default files. But N004 is not a default neighbourhood, so there is no way of getting it back, by repairing or reinstalling - it's gone, I'm afraid.

Mad Poster
#22 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 9:07 PM
Actually, if you have not removed a custom hood, it will still be there after a repair - a reinstall should really only be done when you get another pc or something. It also should not add the default hoods back - have not seen that. I had to do it a couple of times.
If you want to start over, you will need to remove the game folder and then do a repair. Then you get the vanilla game and the default hoods back. (Did that too).
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#23 Old 28th Jun 2017 at 10:13 AM
Yes, but the issue is that the files for this neighbourhood have already been deleted by AVG. Repairing won't change that.

(And, yes, the default 'hoods won't be fixed in Documents but they will be fixed in templates, which is the important thing - but I didn't add that because I didn't want to introduce yet more complexity!)

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 28th Jun 2017 at 12:39 PM
I got all new neighborhoods to be sure and I've kept apart the one neighborhood that I've been playing for years. I'm a little scared to put it back into the sims 2 folder because I fear the glitches will still be there and they'll start appearing in the other neighborhoods. As it is, the game works fine, though, so thank you all!
Theorist
#25 Old 28th Jun 2017 at 2:53 PM
Just a quick question, Fouksia. Since you posted about moving a sim out, then your problem started with inventory, did you happen to put any beds into it that had been slept in? That's not a good thing, as far as I remember, I think unused beds are safe. (best to wait for someone to confirm this) You won't be able to remove it, even though other things can be taken out, the game will crash before you even get to the object causing a problem, if that's the case. Years ago I did this with cribs and beds to move out some sims, not knowing what could happen. (:

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Page 1 of 2