Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 6:24 PM
Long term player trying to understand meshing any help is appreciated!
Hello everyone and anyone trying to help the blind see!

I've been playing sims for years and years but ive been underestimating myself when it comes to meshing. I want to make more default replacements for the sims 3 I cant really find any good ones that i like so i figured id take matters into my own hands! I am totally new to meshing ive watched a couple meshing videos on youtube but im still unsure of whats safe to download and what system is best for my computer what meshes exactly are, and what i need to do to create my own, what a polly count is and why its better to have a smaller amount of polly count. when it comes to default replacement theres already a mesh there so no need to make a new one right? you just alter the exsiting one to your liking? I AM A NEWBIE WHEN IT COMES TO MESHING so try to keep it simple but detailed. i use WinRAR to unzip files but other than that i dont have any programs necessary for meshing so please start at the beginning of all things to know about meshing!

thanks so much for any tips, tricks, and/or examples!
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 6:59 PM
Hmm with default replacements, you can do pretty much everything. Like, say cloning a rock with S3OC and, dunno, replace the mesh with a my little pony character. The game will think it's still that rock, while it really isn't
I've made a tutorial on default replacements right here, if you're curious: http://db.modthesims.info/showthrea...hlight=tutorial

With meshing... hmm, it's kinda like studying anatomy for your drawings, or just drawing in the first place. It doesn't really matter what 3D program you're using when it comes to actual meshing. I know most people prefer Maya (so do I) And others prefer Blender or Milkshape. Maybe even Cinema 3D or another autodesk product! With Maya, I actually followed a few classes on meshing, with Blender however, I just went with some digital videos, so it really doesn't matter whether you go with a 'Meshing in *** for dummies' or online classes. I actually just watched a few youtube videos with Blender!

So, I would first suggest choosing a 3D program. THEN look up a way to understand it's meshing part (You can skip the entire animating process, but do watch the UV mapping ones)!

On polycounts, I would totally check out simlicious's guide: http://simlicious.tumblr.com/post/8...ounts-in-sims-3
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 2:31 AM
Thanks for you help! ill definitely check out your tutorial and study up on the other programs you suggested. The poly link you gave is so helpful and ill go more in depth when i understand more about the programs youre using. Is there a specific 3D program you know of thats easier for newbie mesher to comprehend?
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#4 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 9:35 PM
Hmm I found Blender easier to learn, but that might be because I was already familiar with the terms of 3D programs in general It's just the switching back and forth where there are different shortcuts for the same stuff that I usually mess up with lol I think maya might be the most easiest way to accomplish something faster to mesh, blender's quite straight-forward, so if you like more straight-forward programs, I'd go with blender I guess both are fine to use for a first time! Though maya has certainly better noob-y tutorial videos compared to blender

And i'm glad the poly link was helpful! Simlicious is a very amazing person! Feel free to check out her tutorial tag, it has a lot of awesome info thingies in it!