Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 25th Feb 2019 at 9:46 PM
It's just mark, cut&paste, perhaps paint out the number at the top (I think it's there if you run with testingcheats), crop into the size I want, then copying all the layers and collapsing them into a separate layer, then running my usual edits from an action (converts to smart layer, puts on smart sharpen plus a layer with brightness/contrast), then an action that puts on a black and white frame (I'm too lazy to go through all those steps 50 times), then I do any other edits that needs to be done, and save as a TIFF file with layers (which my computer can preview twithout opening Photoshop - that doesn't work with PSDs).

It sounds like a lot, but If I just crop and run the actions I can edit a picture in less than a minute. If there's more I need to edit, it depends on how extensive the editing is.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 12th May 2019 at 8:19 PM Last edited by jain : 12th May 2019 at 9:19 PM.
Default Difference in views - Lot vs Neighborhood
Hi there again! I'm pretty familiar with viewing neighborhood objects from lots, changing fade to zero and view to extra large. This kind of difference seems extreme though considering the distance from the lot to the neighborhood objects. I tried removing all the sky objects, the water mods, and the skyview mod by simnopke. It didn't make any difference.

This is the neighborhood (the part of it that matters).

The house with the green roof facing the mountains/volcanoes is the one I'm using. It doesn't seem to me to be all the far away from them. Still in neighborhood view, I'm down at the lot level. The mountains and the trees at the bottom all still look right.

Now I've entered the lot. The view is strikingly different.

When I'm up at the roof level the view changes somewhat but it's still bizarre. The closest volcano looks like it's toppling over on the house. There are still no trees. I'm used to the water reflections being off and can work with those but isn't the lot close enough to be able to see the same objects I can see when I'm in neighborhood view? I can see those same trees from other lots, admittedly when I'm closer to them but not right underneath them either.

Thanking you in advance for any suggestions, or reminders that this is just the way the game works!
Mad Poster
#28 Old 12th May 2019 at 8:54 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 12th May 2019 at 9:07 PM.
Have you properly enabled neighborhood decorations, and are you sure the lot view distance is as high as you want it to be? And are you sure the decorations are viewable from the lot? Some may not be. The offset mirroring does look rather weird, and the faraway mountains look like they're almost too close to the lot in lot view, almost as if the water line is cut off. Do you have any camera hacks that does something to the views? A close zoom may cause a similar effect.

You may need to enable the cheat
uintProp dontMergeNHFlora false
Possibly also
uintProp lotSkirtSizeIncrease 120
for the mods to work.
Field Researcher
#29 Old 12th May 2019 at 9:32 PM Last edited by jain : 12th May 2019 at 9:56 PM.
I wondered about the trees but I can see some of the same neighborhood bushes from the lot, those that are closer. I've been using the dontMergeNHflora false cheat although I start the command with boolprop which I assume must be the same thing. I have not used the lotskirtsizeincrease cheat. I'll try that.

I'm using the same camera mod I've used for years, the Gunmod camera mod, although I think I've read that it conflicts now with some of the sky and water and light mods. If I remove that camera mod and go with the game mod, it's not going to be a good test though is it. I probably can't access the lot.

ETA: I'm using Gunmod's camera mod version 31-A.
Mad Poster
#30 Old 13th May 2019 at 3:11 AM
I agree - the dontMergeNHFlora cheat should use boolprop, not uintprop.

I also used Gunmod's camera for years until someone recently pointed out this modification of it. Pacmani changed the camera settings so that now you start with extreme wide angle views. You may want to experiment with zooming in and out in Tab/Cameraman Mode until you get a view that you like for your scene.

http://modthesims.info/d/504385/rea...erspective.html
Field Researcher
#31 Old 13th May 2019 at 3:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965

I also used Gunmod's camera for years until someone recently pointed out this modification of it. Pacmani changed the camera settings so that now you start with extreme wide angle views. You may want to experiment with zooming in and out in Tab/Cameraman Mode until you get a view that you like for your scene.

http://modthesims.info/d/504385/rea...erspective.html
Thank you, I'll try that camera and see if it works better for me.

While I was troubleshooting, moving things in and out like pond water shaders, none of which made any difference, I removed the skybox by Lowedeus. This happened.

Which also looks like this:

And even this, red signs out in the middle of the terrain and inside the lot:

I spent hours loading and reloading the game. This is a subhood. Neither the main hood or the other subhoods are affected.

Finally I realized I could pick these signs up and delete them. They come in a group of four and show up everywhere except on the water. I'm tired and it's late so I'm not going to try putting files back in to see if it happens again (do that tomorrow) but I'm curious - what is this? Why aren't the other hoods affected?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#32 Old 13th May 2019 at 3:54 AM
The red signs are Maxis road signs. You can either remove them by hand or use an invisible default on those. https://psychosim.livejournal.com/15809.html

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#33 Old 13th May 2019 at 6:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
The red signs are Maxis road signs. You can either remove them by hand or use an invisible default on those. https://psychosim.livejournal.com/15809.html
Thank you, I'll check out the default. I don't understand why they suddenly showed up like that, some of them in the middle of the land or in a lot. Did I do something to cause that?
Mad Poster
#34 Old 13th May 2019 at 11:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965

I think I copied the cheat from one of the how-to posts for either the Skyfix or one of the sky boxes, so I used lines from my cheat file above, but it does look like it's boolprop (have fixed it now in my own cheat file )

The signs could be remnants of a deleted custom neighborhood item, since they appeared after you removed various items (could also be you had the invisible version and deleted that file). You shoud be able to grab them and delete.
Field Researcher
#35 Old 14th May 2019 at 2:24 AM
The signs could be remnants of a deleted custom neighborhood item, since they appeared after you removed various items (could also be you had the invisible version and deleted that file). You should be able to grab them and delete.[/QUOTE] I was able to grab and delete the things (finally after frantically reloading backup hoods). Thank you!

I'm giving up on whatever is causing the problem with the water and the mountains and the failure to view items that should be visible. I removed the nearest mountains since they were so horrifyingly enormous. When I've used them in other hoods it was at a greater distance so maybe they just cannot be used close by. I still have to jiggle the terrain to avoid the strange rising transparent sea level but I added some plants to kind of hide it and distract from it and left one small mountain in the far corner. It requires some tweaking but it'll do. This is the compromise. Thank you all for your help.

Field Researcher
#36 Old 30th May 2019 at 7:58 PM
Default Streetlights - Lights hover above the street
I'm back hoping for more help. Sorry and thank you...

I'm struggling with something I never noticed before, maybe because I never took shots under these conditions. The light from streetlights - both lot and neighborhood lights - appears to be floating above the street. It's like light fog and results in weird streaks along the roads. If I was writing science fiction the effect would be pretty cool, well in my somewhat loony opinion.

I have crqtt's BetterNight mod installed with voeille's shader. I have default LOD maxis streetlights installed. I have crqtt's working street lights set. I use FAB's default terrains and roads - lush terrain only.

I removed these mods one by one. When the default streetlights are removed, there's no glow, but there are no streetlights either which is definitely not what I want. It's dark and dull. I tried setting the streetlights further back from the road but if I can see them at all, I can see the floating light. I discovered that using only lot lights from the ep's like Mansion and Garden does prevent this from happening but that means a lot of lots to use that solution.

Here are some shots with the streetlight streaks and glows.

Here is a shot of the street after I removed the default streetlight file. The lot streetlights are dark (closest lights on right). There's a neighborhood streetlight around the corner which appears to still be throwing glowing floating light around the street. However, the string lights, also neighborhood lights by criquette, aren't doing that.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Mad Poster
#37 Old 30th May 2019 at 8:23 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 30th May 2019 at 8:40 PM.
If it's a CC lamp or an edit of the original lamp, or a neighborhod version, it may just be an issue with the mesh that dictates where the light is supposed to show. Floating items is a known problem with neighborhood deco, and it certainly would show like that if the on-lot mesh has the same issue.

I attached a picture of how the lamp behaves in my game, and it looks to be putting light where it's supposed to (solar glares are edited in, though). These are on-lot lamps, not neighborhood deco. I don't think I have any pics of neighborhood streetlamps (not sure if I even have any in my game).

I don't have the mods you mentioned, so it's possible those are causing this issue for you. Maybe ask the mod creator if this is an issue they can fix?
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#38 Old 30th May 2019 at 8:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
If it's a CC lamp or an edit of the original lamp, it may just be an issue with the mesh that dictates where the light is supposed to show. Floating items is a known problem with neighborhood deco, and it certainly would show like that if the on-lot mesh has the same issue.

I attached some pics of how the lamp behaves in my game, and there it looks to be putting light where it's supposed to (solar glares are edited in, though).

I don't have the mods you mentioned, so it's possible those are causing this issue.
Thank you. I've seen the floating neighborhood deco so that makes sense although it's frustrating to know I'll have to give up lighting effects I like to get rid of it. I installed the crqtt lighting mods in the past 2 years or so and don't use those streetlights much which is probably why I don't remember seeing the light issue before.r

I can try to ask criquette about the floating lights but they're so popular I doubt I'd get through. It's worth a shot.

ETA: You're using both neighborhood streetlights and lot lights in your pic? There's no floating light at all. It looks great.
Mad Poster
#39 Old 30th May 2019 at 10:01 PM
I think it's only lot lights. I don't have criquette's mod (yet), but I'm planning to do some neighborhood deco overhaul once I'm certain my game works (I've had some pink issues).

I suggest you read through her mod description and see if it's already mentioned, then send her a message if it isn't. Most modders are fine with having issues pointed out to them via message, and tend to be quite helpful with fixing whatever is wrong.

I think there may have been an update to that mod, but I'm not at all certain (I know she did update at least one mod of hers a while but can't remember which one), so you may want to look through their Tumblr just to be on the safe side.
Field Researcher
#40 Old 31st May 2019 at 1:23 AM
I've looked through their tumblr and don't see any update associated with the global mod and can't come up with anything with a general web search.

For situations where it seems to be causing problems, I may set it aside. I don't remember whether illuminated neighborhood street lights are visible in lot view by game default, I thought they were, so maybe I can move the mod in and out of the game to suit my needs. Nothing's perfect. Some of the neighborhood deco is really pretty.

I've read some of your posts about the pinking. What a horrible mess. I stress my game and put up with crashing but haven't had that damned pink move in, not yet anyway. Thank you so much for your help and advice and I truly hope you find a way to get rid of the pink.
Field Researcher
#41 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 2:39 PM
Hi there hope you can help me with drowning piers. As you can see from the pics, I've been using these for a long time with no trouble. I have them all over my hoods. Now though when I try to place new ones, they go underwater. Also, which is worse, if I touch existing ones they also go underwater. The water is only one click deep. I tried to raise it and got some land and the pier really didn't even work with the land under it. Is there something I should do?

Alchemist
Original Poster
#42 Old 13th Oct 2019 at 3:50 PM
I do love the iconic sims in group scene pics, don't I? Just a fun concept shot I wanted to do that represents my way of playing... lots of iconic characters brought to life with CC in wacky ways... not that I play this lot, but... hopefully you get it. This is just lots of freezing sims and moving them once they look interesting and trying to get the scene to tell little stories all over while keeping all the sims recognizable.

Page 2 of 2