Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#51 Old 4th Sep 2018 at 12:50 AM
eugh - crap. Are you sure the files are not set to read only?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#52 Old 4th Sep 2018 at 12:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
eugh - crap. Are you sure the files are not set to read only?

No, they're not.

This is what I get when I go to the preview tab (screenshot). Usually it lists the vendors, etc... But for some reason, now it doesn't.

ETA: Ok, I just checked something, the graphics rules maker is saved as it should be. However, the video cards file, when I save it individually, has the same content as the graphicsrule.sgr...
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 4th Sep 2018 at 3:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by M.M.A.A.
*Sorry for the double post!*

Before I begin rambling: Update: Game still flashes pink even without water texture mod. :')

Right, okay, so the game was flashing pink on me as I was casually playing, so I thought I'd fiddle around with the graphics rules maker and see if I missed something from when I used it a while ago. I decided to save each file individually, the graphics rules and the video cards.sgr. Unfortunately, it only made things worse, because for some reason, on the second time I opened the program, the program would no longer recognize the Video Cards.sgr file (even though the file is there and it has all the necessary info, but in GRM, it shows up as blank with a few lines of text, unlike the graphics rules.sgr) and as I load neighborhoods, the entire thing is flashing pink (except the roads, and the sea/ocean is no more (invisible)). GRM itself keeps asking me to add my graphics card to the database when I click 'Save Files', yet if I check 'In Database', under Device Info, it shows up as 'No'. Clicking 'Add now' doesn't seem to do anything. Also, the resolution has reverted to 800x600. I'm not sure what I messed up TBH. This game is killing me. XP

ETA: My config-log.txt file says:

=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 <<NOT FOUND IN DATABASE!>>

Go into your videocard.sgr file in your game files. Scroll down to the bottom of the Nvidia section, your card should be listed on the bottom of that section. Delete out the word Nvidia from NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 so it says GeForce GTX 1060. Your card should then be added to the data base successfully. For some reason the game can not read the card if it has Nvidia in it, you will see all the cards listed above that also don't have it. I guess it is just the way the game reads it. I had to alter the files myself. I use a 1060, the graphics rules did me no good (except to get the card somewhat listed), I had to alter it all by hand. I also needed to alter my graphic rules by hand too.

I followed the instructions here http://simlili.tumblr.com/post/146373494212
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#54 Old 4th Sep 2018 at 6:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jules1111
Go into your videocard.sgr file in your game files. Scroll down to the bottom of the Nvidia section, your card should be listed on the bottom of that section. Delete out the word Nvidia from NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 so it says GeForce GTX 1060. Your card should then be added to the data base successfully. For some reason the game can not read the card if it has Nvidia in it, you will see all the cards listed above that also don't have it. I guess it is just the way the game reads it. I had to alter the files myself. I use a 1060, the graphics rules did me no good (except to get the card somewhat listed), I had to alter it all by hand. I also needed to alter my graphic rules by hand too.

I followed the instructions here http://simlili.tumblr.com/post/146373494212

Thank you, @Jules1111 ! Unfortunately, the method you linked to still didn't work. My texture memory is set at 32 MB still and the card still has "<<not found in database>>" next to it. I hope this isn't a hardware issue. It doesn't make sense, since the game was working fine, although with pink flashing, yet the graphics over all were fine. It wasn't until I used the GRM again that it all got messed up.
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 4th Sep 2018 at 7:39 PM
Thank you, @Jules1111 ! Unfortunately, the method you linked to still didn't work. My texture memory is set at 32 MB still and the card still has "<<not found in database>>" next to it. I hope this isn't a hardware issue. It doesn't make sense, since the game was working fine, although with pink flashing, yet the graphics over all were fine. It wasn't until I used the GRM again that it all got messed up.

Dumb question, but did you save the changes after altering the files? Sometimes I have had to save more then once (I now hit save 4 or 5 times.. just in case ), it sometimes didn't stick for some reason. Save exit out and go back in to check if the changes are still there. If you are still having a hard time getting them to change, if I were you, I would move out the graphics rules and video card files that you have, you can use graphic rules (once) to get it to put your card info in again and create all new files, then make and save the changes to the new ones. The old ones might have gotten messed up when you used the graphics rules maker again, though I don't know why, I would think they would just revert back if anything.

Could you tell me what exactly it says for your graphics card in the video card file? The number next to it and all. I don't know if we have the same exact 1060 card, but I could alter a copy of mine with your card info for you to try. I just thought and probably (really should have) mentioned that after altering the files in the Config folder, to make sure to copy it over to the CSConfig folder as well. They have to have the same info in both of the files. Sorry..
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#56 Old 4th Sep 2018 at 7:52 PM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 4th Sep 2018 at 8:02 PM.
Dumb question, but did you save the changes after altering the files? Sometimes I have had to save more then once (I now hit save 4 or 5 times.. just in case ), it sometimes didn't stick for some reason. Save exit out and go back in to check if the changes are still there. If you are still having a hard time getting them to change, if I were you, I would move out the graphics rules and video card files that you have, you can use graphic rules (once) to get it to put your card info in again and create all new files, then make and save the changes to the new ones. The old ones might have gotten messed up when you used the graphics rules maker again, though I don't know why, I would think they would just revert back if anything.

Yes, I did save. I made copies of them onto my desktop, edited those, and then deleted the original ones and put the edited files from the desktop into place. I just checked the ones I tried after running the game and the changes still appear intact.

Could you tell me what exactly it says for your graphics card in the video card file? The number next to it and all. I don't know if we have the same exact 1060 card, but I could alter a copy of mine with your card info for you to try. I just thought and probably (really should have) mentioned that after altering the files in the Config folder, to make sure to copy it over to the CSConfig folder as well. They have to have the same info in both of the files. Sorry..

Sure, this is what I wrote myself in to the Video Cards.sgr following some tutorials (including the ones you linked to):

card 0x1c60 "GeForce GTX 1060"

I also tried copying it over to CSConfig, but it didn't work. I still keep getting the same results. Posted a screenshot of it in the previous page of this thread.

Also, I just recently updated my graphics card, but it was after the problem started. Idk if rolling back could help?
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 4th Sep 2018 at 8:15 PM
Yes, I did save. I made copies of them onto my desktop, edited those, and then deleted the original ones and put the edited files from the desktop into place. I just checked the ones I tried after running the game and the changes still appear intact.

Sure, this is what I wrote myself in to the Video Cards.sgr following some tutorials (including the ones you linked to):

card 0x1c60 "GeForce GTX 1060"

I also tried copying it over to CSConfig, but it didn't work. I still keep getting the same results. Posted a screenshot of it in the previous page of this thread.

Also, I just recently updated my graphics card, but it was after the problem started. Idk if rolling back could help?

Ok so your graphics card has no additional Ram on it correct? Like mine is a GTX 1060 6GB. If you have Ram on the card that needs to be in the name as well. I added your card to a copied file I use, though if your changes are staying now, and you are not getting any better results, I am not sure if they would do much good. You can try them though. Put them in both the Config and CSConfig folders after removing the ones in there. Are you on Windows 10 home or pro? I have seen several people with Pro have issues, I am not sure if that is a cause or not though. I don't think rolling back would help if you had the same issue before you even got that card.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Graphics Rules.zip (7.2 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  Video Cards.zip (4.6 KB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#58 Old 4th Sep 2018 at 8:24 PM
Ok so your graphics card has no additional Ram on it correct? Like mine is a GTX 1060 6GB. If you have Ram on the card that needs to be in the name as well. I added your card to a copied file I use, though if your changes are staying now, and you are not getting any better results, I am not sure if they would do much good. You can try them though. Put them in both the Config and CSConfig folders after removing the ones in there. Are you on Windows 10 home or pro? I have seen several people with Pro have issues, I am not sure if that is a cause or not though. I don't think rolling back would help if you had the same issue before you even got that card.

Sorry, I meant to say I updated my graphics card drivers, not the graphics card itself. And, no, it's 6GB, without any additions, other than the laptop's own RAM itself.

I'm on W10 Home.

Also, thank you for the files, I just tested it out now, but I'm still getting the same results. Idk, maybe I need to do a reinstall of the entire game? I've uninstalled and reinstalled M&G SP only, since it's the latest one, thought that might help reset things, but it's not. It's as if the game isn't even reading the .sgr files or something. Idk why.

Thank you again for your patience!
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 4th Sep 2018 at 8:30 PM
Sorry, I meant to say I updated my graphics card drivers, not the graphics card itself. And, no, it's 6GB, without any additions, other than the laptop's own RAM itself.

I'm on W10 Home.

Also, thank you for the files, I just tested it out now, but I'm still getting the same results. Idk, maybe I need to do a reinstall of the entire game? I've uninstalled and reinstalled M&G SP only, since it's the latest one, thought that might help reset things, but it's not. It's as if the game isn't even reading the .sgr files or something. Idk why.

Thank you again for your patience!

Oh then the card name is listed wrong if you have 6GB. I altered it again to add on the card ram. Hopefully this does a little good. Picky these files are.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Video Cards.zip (4.6 KB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#60 Old 4th Sep 2018 at 10:26 PM
@Jules1111 - Thank you very much! By the time you sent that I had already uninstalled the entire game. This time I reinstalled it into a new folder outside Program Files (x86), to avoid any further issues with admin stuff. The game now works very well. Everything is back to normal. (Thank God it finally worked!)

I haven't restored my DLs folder along with my neighborhoods. So I will be doing that now. I must've messed up something with the GRM to make it not recognize my card. Believe it or not, I had to use it again to help fix the resolution. Let's hope the game doesn't go all weird on me again.

Thanks everyone for your help, really appreciate it! :lovestruc Now to see if it will flash pink on me all over again... Will keep you all posted.
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 4th Sep 2018 at 11:46 PM
@M.M.A.A Yay glad you got everything working , at least for now. Lets hope it stays that way!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#62 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 11:31 PM
@M.M.A.A Yay glad you got everything working , at least for now. Lets hope it stays that way!

Indeed! I still get pink flashing and random 'access violation' crashes here and there, but other than that it's all good.

Now, my question regarding the Graphics Rules Maker is, and I've sort of asked about this in another thread : For the 'Force Texture Memory' part, what number should I set that to? Different sources say different things.

This video says that it has to match the 'Display Memory' in DxDiag. While somewhere else, can't remember where now , I read that it has to match the 'Texture Memory' listed under the 'Device Info' tab in Graphics Rules Maker. Each of those have a different capacity for me it seems. :S
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 8th Sep 2018 at 5:01 AM
Indeed! I still get pink flashing and random 'access violation' crashes here and there, but other than that it's all good.

Now, my question regarding the Graphics Rules Maker is, and I've sort of asked about this in another thread : For the 'Force Texture Memory' part, what number should I set that to? Different sources say different things.

This video says that it has to match the 'Display Memory' in DxDiag. While somewhere else, can't remember where now , I read that it has to match the 'Texture Memory' listed under the 'Device Info' tab in Graphics Rules Maker. Each of those have a different capacity for me it seems. :S

Bummer you are still getting crashes and pink sometimes, but I guess at least it is better then it was. For the force texture memory part, you want to use the number listed as the display memory in DxDiag.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#64 Old 8th Sep 2018 at 2:17 PM
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#65 Old 8th Sep 2018 at 11:21 PM
I did this just last night, changed my Graphic rules to match my dxdiag since it was slightly lower. Pink flashing last night on a lot with snow. I think on this computer I may have to delete the thumbnails every so often. There is also boolprop useshaders false to stop pink flashing, but you probably already know about that.

Edit: Just noticed this, Leefish has attached a file. http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=8490

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#66 Old 9th Sep 2018 at 3:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I did this just last night, changed my Graphic rules to match my dxdiag since it was slightly lower. Pink flashing last night on a lot with snow. I think on this computer I may have to delete the thumbnails every so often. There is also boolprop useshaders false to stop pink flashing, but you probably already know about that.

Edit: Just noticed this, Leefish has attached a file. http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=8490

Oh! Interesting! Thank you for letting me know!

And yeah, the pink flashing thing is what's driving me nuts. It doesn't matter if I have a water-texture mod installed or not, I would still get it. Sometimes, my game would crash due to an access violation if the game starts flashing pink extremely. I am aware of the shaders thing, but I'm not sure if that's actually been modified in my current file. I don't think so...
Page 3 of 3