Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Packing Crates for TS4

by scumbumbo Posted 14th Jun 2015 at 9:16 AM - Updated 1st Mar 2019 at 2:54 AM by scumbumbo : Bug-fixes for Feb 21, 2019 Game Patch

315 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 222 Feedback Posts, 92 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 13
Deceased
Original Poster
#26 Old 14th Jun 2015 at 8:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by isabellamaia04
This mod is awesome! But I have a question, fellow simmer. Is there a way to change something in the file to put it in another language? I've been trying to do this with custom content (like trying to change the description of the item) as well, but I'm not an expert with modding lol it'd be really happy if there was a way to do that.

I expect translators will be sending in some translations shortly. This is possible with custom content as well, the string table just needs to be duplicated for each translated language and the first two digits of the instance of the string table set to the proper language identifier. There's a list of the language ids here on MTS: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=547280
Deceased
Original Poster
#27 Old 14th Jun 2015 at 9:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by t.barfield86
Hey scumbumbo, been looking for a mod like this for ages. I seem to have a problem since installing with playing families in Newcrest. Not in the other worlds just that one. When I click on play it takes me right back to select a world screen and then won't let me access any household in any neighbourhood after that. Any idea's what could be causing that? I have the bare minimum of mods and can't think of any that would clash

I tested moving some sims to Newcrest (hadn't gotten around to building there yet) and didn't have any problems. Not sure why you'd see this happen....

You could check to see if a lastException file got generated in your Sims 4 documents folder and paste it (please use a spoiler tag around it) in here. Might give a clue as to what happened.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#28 Old 14th Jun 2015 at 11:54 PM
Thank you !
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#29 Old 15th Jun 2015 at 1:23 AM
OMG I need this in my life!!! Thanks so much!! Now my sims won't have to walk around with inventories that so full it's beyond crazy :D
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#30 Old 15th Jun 2015 at 5:52 AM
I will install this mod when I get to my computer. Is there a way to name the crates so you don't get them mixed up?
Deceased
Original Poster
#31 Old 15th Jun 2015 at 9:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HudsonGTV
I will install this mod when I get to my computer. Is there a way to name the crates so you don't get them mixed up?

Yeah, that should be possible. I had actually thought of that but wasn't sure if people would want that or not. I'll probably consider that if I end up adding more features.

One other thing I was considering was an on/off mode for the "Pack in Crate" menu item so it wouldn't show on just about every object in the game 24/7. Probably by adding an Enable/Disable menu item to the crates themselves.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#32 Old 15th Jun 2015 at 9:53 AM
This looks so useful, thank you!
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 15th Jun 2015 at 12:45 PM
Another great mod thank you!
Test Subject
#34 Old 15th Jun 2015 at 3:18 PM
Sooo... can you bring a sim with a crate to, let's say, the Landgraabs, knock on the door, start packing their stuff, then leave? If so, then your mod would solve the lack of burglars BUG in Sims 4 too ;P
Also can you drag and drop items onto crates? Like those collectibles laying around everywhere? Man, I do miss the chests from World Adventures.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#35 Old 15th Jun 2015 at 3:19 PM
This is awesome! I always wanted that =)

Say if we wanted to make a different object with that functionality, would you want to put that in this post as well? Or is it just hassle for you to support the same thing with different meshes?

Asking because I made some stackable crates a while ago (from Maxis deco creates that are already in the game) and for my own game I'd probably prefer one of those since they aren't standing on their side.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Mad Poster
#36 Old 15th Jun 2015 at 3:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by scumbumbo
Yeah, that should be possible. I had actually thought of that but wasn't sure if people would want that or not. I'll probably consider that if I end up adding more features.

One other thing I was considering was an on/off mode for the "Pack in Crate" menu item so it wouldn't show on just about every object in the game 24/7. Probably by adding an Enable/Disable menu item to the crates themselves.

Now I like the sound of that! At the moment I plan on dropping it into and out of my game as and when I need it.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Deceased
Original Poster
#37 Old 15th Jun 2015 at 4:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by paika
Sooo... can you bring a sim with a crate to, let's say, the Landgraabs, knock on the door, start packing their stuff, then leave? If so, then your mod would solve the lack of burglars BUG in Sims 4 too ;P
Also can you drag and drop items onto crates? Like those collectibles laying around everywhere? Man, I do miss the chests from World Adventures.

I'm sure some kind of burglary mod should be possible, yes, either as a trait and action for a controlled sim (with a cooldown) or as a situation for an NPC.
Deceased
Original Poster
#38 Old 15th Jun 2015 at 4:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
This is awesome! I always wanted that =)

Say if we wanted to make a different object with that functionality, would you want to put that in this post as well? Or is it just hassle for you to support the same thing with different meshes?

Asking because I made some stackable crates a while ago...

Not sure if you're referring to the burglary idea (which would be a separate mod as there would be a lot of differences) or just adding a crate style. Adding a crate style would be easy, just create the object normally, and in the OBJD change the tuning reference and add component 0x7EB4DE51 (the component change is optional, that adds the live drag component to the crate so it can be drag/dropped in and out of the sim's inventory).

For just another style of crate I could make it available for download here, or use your own thread - your choice
Deceased
Original Poster
#39 Old 15th Jun 2015 at 4:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
Now I like the sound of that! At the moment I plan on dropping it into and out of my game as and when I need it.

Remember that if you remove the mod all the crates will disappear (and I assume everything left in them). I suppose you could leave the package and just remove the script - so the crates would still be there with their contents you just could add/remove items from them until the script got added back.
Mad Poster
#40 Old 15th Jun 2015 at 4:17 PM Last edited by egwarhammer : 15th Jun 2015 at 4:25 PM. Reason: grats!
I had a strange glitch where my Landgraabs didn't seem to own anything on their lot.

The Pack Item button was gray, and that unowned "hovertip" came up. I admit I didn't try clearing my cache, that may work, too, I just don't know...

I found another way.

I used the same trick we do to get beds recognized for MC Command Center's population-move in process... copied the lot to my library. Bulldozed lot. (Didn't move/evict or anything... I wanted to see if it would just WORK... and it did.) Pasted lot copy back onto original address. Set beds/baths number.

Back to game, it's all good! Pack Crate showing like it should.

One tip: In Aspirations Mansion Baron for Nancy (I was on her when I thought to look), I hadn't tripped it yet. It came up showing them owning ZERO decorations. I was looking at 3 paintings on ONE wall, cutaway view when it said that. So I knew something was hung somewhere, just glad it was THIS easy to fix!

TL;DR: see issues? Try reapplying the lot.

Here's what it looked like before I fixed it... tried to attach via MTS, it wouldn't, so here's my tinypic shot:

ETA: Congratulations on the (latest!) Picked Upload! Already. That was fast! I love it. Nice job!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#41 Old 15th Jun 2015 at 4:19 PM
Not sure if you're referring to the burglary idea (which would be a separate mod as there would be a lot of differences) or just adding a crate style. Adding a crate style would be easy, just create the object normally, and in the OBJD change the tuning reference and add component 0x7EB4DE51 (the component change is optional, that adds the live drag component to the crate so it can be drag/dropped in and out of the sim's inventory).

For just another style of crate I could make it available for download here, or use your own thread - your choice

I meant the latter, only changing the actual crate object. I wouldn’t want to upload it myself (not keen on doing support for something where I only made 5%), that’s why I was asking .. OK I’ll let you know when I’m done, thank you =)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Deceased
Original Poster
#42 Old 15th Jun 2015 at 4:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by egwarhammer
I had a strange glitch where my Landgraabs didn't seem to own anything on their lot.

I used the same trick we do to get beds recognized for MC Command Center's population-move in process... copied the lot to my library. Bulldozed lot. (Didn't move/evict or anything... I wanted to see if it would just WORK... and it did.) Pasted lot copy back onto original address. Set beds/baths number.

Good tip for fixing the whole lot at once. If it's just an item or two you could also use clown's debug cheat mod and shift-click the item to take ownership of it. That's such a useful mod anyway I never run without it.

Link to debug cheat: http://modthesims.info/d/532735
Deceased
Original Poster
#43 Old 15th Jun 2015 at 4:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
I meant the latter, only changing the actual crate object. I wouldn’t want to upload it myself (not keen on doing support for something where I only made 5%)

No problem, that's understandable! Yeah, I'd be glad to put it on here, if one item breaks from a game update they (likely) all will so I'd have to deal with it anyway!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#44 Old 15th Jun 2015 at 7:44 PM
Epic :)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#45 Old 16th Jun 2015 at 7:25 PM
Thanks I have missed the 'Chest" from Sims 3. Packrat at heart.
Mad Poster
#46 Old 17th Jun 2015 at 2:32 PM

YES, names (or even colors... which is easier?) would be a wonderful addition. And I like the flag idea, also.

Since I"m such a packrat, it occurs to me I should ask... is there a limit on how much one crate will hold? Number of UI windows, total items, stacks... what? Infinity plus one?

I was also right that RTFM was helpful. Actually, the description told me what I needed to know... where to get the CRATE! Just added one to play with. And decided I need to ask "how much" before I blow it up.
Mad Poster
#47 Old 17th Jun 2015 at 2:37 PM Last edited by egwarhammer : 17th Jun 2015 at 5:07 PM. Reason: omg TYPO!!!
Remember that if you remove the mod all the crates will disappear (and I assume everything left in them). I suppose you could leave the package and just remove the script - so the crates would still be there with their contents you just could add/remove items from them until the script got added back.

I thought he may have meant he was going to put the mod in, pack and move, unpack, then take the mod back out. (Did you mean could or could not, in your reply?)

I used to do that (add, use, remove after game exit) with the Change Name/Gender mod, before they turned on ingame name changing.

(If I want a different gender, I'll roll a twin. )
Mad Poster
#48 Old 17th Jun 2015 at 6:35 PM
Yeah, I meant what egwarhammer said.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Test Subject
#49 Old 17th Jun 2015 at 11:51 PM
Great mod thanks for this! Was wondering if it would be possible to have a version for OR? Hate having to put that gear in my sims inventory or putting it around my lot. would be nice to be able to pack it all in a crate and forget it until you go camping. Thanks again for the great work.
Deceased
Original Poster
#50 Old 18th Jun 2015 at 4:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by egwarhammer
is there a limit on how much one crate will hold? Number of UI windows, total items, stacks... what? Infinity plus one?

Short answer - just shy of inifinity plus one...

Long answer - I honestly don't remember the exact number off-hand, I could look it up again if you really think you might approach the limit. It was a 4 with a bunch of digits behind it - probably either 4,194,303 or 4,294,967,295 (22 bits or 32 bits). Probably the four million value as that was the most that can be stored in a single-precision floating point number and what I had to use with storing sim id numbers for door locks.
Page 2 of 13