Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jul 2011 at 3:50 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Apartment Life
Default Family Funds Not Working
I recently got and installed the Fun with Pets pack and Apartment Life.

At around the same time, I had a major graphics error (road in front of lots disappeared. Poof. Gone. No lot any longer had a street in front of it. Just empty terrain. The road on either side of the lot was stll displayed, but the important bit at the front of a lot was just not there.) I reinstalled the entire game from BG on up. I had some trouble getting NL reinstalled properly.

Now, the familyFunds cheat is not working.

No, this is not the "two-families-in-neighborhood-with-same-last-name" problem. familyFunds refuses to work, period.

It does not work from the neighborhood screen. It does not work from inside a lot during play. It does not work with all hacks/mods removed. It does not work with all CC removed. It does not work on a box, with a fox, in the rain, on a train.

And it's beginning to tick me off, if you couldn't tell. *deep breath* I need to impoverish my CAS sims when they move into the 'hood.

Yes, I'm typing it right. I've used it a million times. "familyFunds Familyname 100" (without quotes) should leave the Familyname family with just enough for two pizzas plus tip, and it doesn't.

My questions are -

-Does anyone know what's wrong and how to fix it?
- Did one of the later EP/SPs break this cheat and I just haven't found it mentioned anywhere?
- How do I know if the stupid Fun with Pets pack installed the Store Edition, even though I told it not to? (I've looked in Programs Files\EA Games and don't find any folder labeled Store Edition.)
- Does the Store Edition (if installed) break the familyFunds cheat?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 1st Jul 2011 at 6:26 AM Last edited by runeon : 1st Jul 2011 at 6:40 AM.
Are you already playing the family?
If yes, then you should move them out first, coz they must be in the Sim Bin if you want that cheat to work.

*Sigh*
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Jul 2011 at 1:29 AM
I'm sorry, but that's not true. When familyFunds was working, it worked on any family in the neighborhood regardless of location - families in the Sim Bin, families already in houses; from the neighborhood and from lots while playing. I used it many times while in a lot, playing a family, to take away unexpected and unwanted windfalls.

Now, it doesn't work at all. Not even on families in the bin.

However, I gotta add a great big WTF to this thread. Last night, after I posted this, I decided to play for awhile. I created an Asylum group (eight adult sims), put them in the bin. I did not try to use familyFunds on this group.

I left 'em in the bin for a minute so I could set an empty lot for their Asylum, then moved them into the empty lot (intending to start building with their 20K handout.) They didn't have 20K. They had 46 thousand and some simoleans. (Repeat: I did not try to use familyFunds on this group; I make my Asylums as small and cheap as possible, to fit with the theme of the challenge; 20K is usually plenty enough to get started.)

Where the hell did that 46K come from ... ?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 2nd Jul 2011 at 1:00 PM
Have you recently added Apartment Life? Bigger starting families get more starting simoleans. (A long-overdue development, IMHO.)

I can't help you on the family funds thing, but if you can't get it to work, you can buy some big ticket items and stick them into the inventories of the unplayed asylum mates, where you can't see them and be bothered by them.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Site Helper
#5 Old 2nd Jul 2011 at 4:28 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 2nd Jul 2011 at 5:51 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by wthrwthoutyu
-Does anyone know what's wrong and how to fix it?
- Did one of the later EP/SPs break this cheat and I just haven't found it mentioned anywhere?
- How do I know if the stupid Fun with Pets pack installed the Store Edition, even though I told it not to? (I've looked in Programs Files\EA Games and don't find any folder labeled Store Edition.)
- Does the Store Edition (if installed) break the familyFunds cheat?
I don't suppose that the family name has a space in it? If so, the name must have quotes around it. You might also want to check the family name in SimPE, to ensure that there isn't a leading or trailing blank.

I use the cheat with M&G, but it's possible that the Store Edition has broken something; I can't verify that, since I avoid the Store Edition.

If I were checking to see whether the Store Edition is installed, I would use SimPE to open the neighborhood package and check out the Version record. I assume that the Store Edition shows up as EP99, so it should show as the neighborhood version, if it's installed.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Jul 2011 at 11:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Have you recently added Apartment Life? Bigger starting families get more starting simoleans. (A long-overdue development, IMHO.)

Okay. Not to my taste, but good to know. Do you know if there's a hack to stop that? (AFAIC, it was too hard to keep them all from ending up filthy rich anyway.)

Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
I can't help you on the family funds thing, but if you can't get it to work, you can buy some big ticket items and stick them into the inventories of the unplayed asylum mates, where you can't see them and be bothered by them.

Oh, I got rid of the excess monies. The floor tile method still works (lay down a large area of expensive tile in yard; cover with cheap floor tile or CC tile priced zero; repeat till the family is as poor as you like; CTRL+click to delete last batch of cheap floor tile.) It's just that familyFunds is much faster and more convenient, when it works.

Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
I don't suppose that the family name has a space in it?
No, I never use last names with spaces for that very reason.

Thanks for telling me how to detect Store Edition. I'll be checking that out post-haste.

I have been wondering about something else, though. After reinstalling, I removed the EAxis hoods and put my own neighborhoods back in the game. Anyone ever heard of this causing problems with cheat codes? Is it possible that familyFunds is not working on these old restored neighborhoods because something (however small) changed in the way later EPs (like AL or M&G) number/designate/order families in a neighborhood? Does anybody understand what I mean?

Is it possible there's something in the old families data (created with Seasons as highest EP) that my new EPs (Pets, AL, M&G) don't quite understand, so it doesn't know what family I'm aiming at when I use familyFunds?

These neighborhoods were not in the game when I installed the EPs; they weren't in when I did a total reinstall, either. After reinstalling the entire game, I restored these neighborhoods from a pre-Pets-AL-M&G backup. So if there's anything that a later expansion does to existing neighborhood/family data during EP installation to update it, these neighborhoods missed it. Could that be the problem?
Inventor
#7 Old 3rd Jul 2011 at 1:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by wthrwthoutyu
Okay. Not to my taste, but good to know. Do you know if there's a hack to stop that? (AFAIC, it was too hard to keep them all from ending up filthy rich anyway.)

I have been wondering about something else, though. After reinstalling, I removed the EAxis hoods and put my own neighborhoods back in the game. Anyone ever heard of this causing problems with cheat codes? Is it possible that familyFunds is not working on these old restored neighborhoods because something (however small) changed in the way later EPs (like AL or M&G) number/designate/order families in a neighborhood? Does anybody understand what I mean?

Is it possible there's something in the old families data (created with Seasons as highest EP) that my new EPs (Pets, AL, M&G) don't quite understand, so it doesn't know what family I'm aiming at when I use familyFunds?

These neighborhoods were not in the game when I installed the EPs; they weren't in when I did a total reinstall, either. After reinstalling the entire game, I restored these neighborhoods from a pre-Pets-AL-M&G backup. So if there's anything that a later expansion does to existing neighborhood/family data during EP installation to update it, these neighborhoods missed it. Could that be the problem?

As for the hack, i believe Pescado has made one over at MATY that or it takes away the 20K handouts... which may be what you want. I can't remember the link ATM though.

And as to the neighborhoods, i don't believe the game does anything at all to neighborhoods at install. It adds the "missing" data that came with the EP when you first load the neighborhood. So if you just added Pets and AL you should see loading screens at the first load since installation that said "creating Pets" or "creating Magic" or something similar (its been a while since I made a new neighborhood)

And as to your original question, i don't thing there's anything that changes the familyfunds cheat in any ep or sp. I have all eps and sps and may even have store edition installed (i have a few outfits i DLed from there that display the store edition tag in the catalog) (I'll do the check next time i play and check 'cause I'm curious now) (EDIT: the SimPE check says M&G not Store so I guess I don't have it. yay for that) and the cheat worked just fine for me the last time i played. Perhaps uninstalling everything and re-installing will help?

I'll stop being anti-social when the rest of the world quits being idiots!

My Own Website! www.violetpadfootscreations.weebly.com