Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 9:13 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Body Shop Blurry textures
Hey everyone!

I have started making so easy recolors with body shop but every time I save my outfit. The textures get all blurry. I have read quite a few things about it. Such as updating the graphics file but that didn't work for me.
Has anyone been able to fix this issue on their computer and could tell me what to do?

Regards
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 5:45 PM
The best way as a novice in doing recolors would be to make your textures 1024 pixels by 1024 pixels in size. Body Shop prefers that size versus other odd sizes because it will either enlarge or shrink the texture to that size.

If you plan on making textures larger for more details, and don't want BodyShop compressing the files, then there's this research of mine on virtually eliminating the texture size restrictions. Unfortunately, it involves lots of step, and requires using SimPE, Milkshape 3D, and a photo editing program.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Mad Poster
#3 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 6:05 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 18th Apr 2021 at 7:37 PM.
I think it's the well-known annoying "bodyshop resizes textures when importing to game" problem. There's several topics already on how to fix it:

https://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Your-Bo...ttings-in-Sims2
http://modthesims.info/t/120378

Even if Bodyshop uses the proper picture size, textures sometimes go a little blurry, particularly in the edges. One thing you can do is to fix clothes in SimPE by importing a non-blurry texture with DXT3/5 (you need to download Nvidia's DDS plugins). Here you can also fix the size by importing a larger texture. It's safest to use a texture you've already applied the alpha to (invisible parts), because importing the alpha (right click texture image --> import alpha) can sometimes cause the texture to look just as bad as Bodyshop made it.

Quote: Originally posted by d_dgjdhh
The best way as a novice in doing recolors would be to make your textures 1024 pixels by 1024 pixels in size. Body Shop prefers that size versus other odd sizes because it will either enlarge or shrink the texture to that size.

If you plan on making textures larger for more details, and don't want BodyShop compressing the files, then there's this research of mine on virtually eliminating the texture size restrictions. Unfortunately, it involves lots of step, and requires using SimPE, Milkshape 3D, and a photo editing program.

Bodyshop can only work with square textures for anything that overlays the skin (clothes, makeup, scalp, etc.), but for other things (alpha parts of hairs, accessories, non-skin parts of clothes, etc.) you can use other sizes, as long as they're in the 1/2/4/8/16/32/64/128/256/512/1024/2048... format on both sides. The game and Bodyshop don't like textures that don't follow those sizes, and may throw errors.

Keep in mind that anything using skin texture needs to be the same size as the skin, so you can't expect to make a 1024x1024 size to look good on a toddler, because the toddler skin is 512x512. To make this work you need to scale up the skintone textures, too (I do advice to keep to 1024 as the largest size, because the larger the textures, the more strain you put on the graphic card and various other parts of your computer. Each time you go up a size for a square format, for instance 512x512 --> 1024x1024, you quadruple the size of the image).

I've done this successfully with my infant clothes. I scaled up the infant and toddler skins I most frequently use, and can now use 1024x1024 for more detail. Still a bit unsure how this works with bump maps for older ages, though. I've only tried this for infants and toddlers.

The issue where upsized clothing textures look strange on toddlers can have to do with bump maps. If the skin is 512, bump is 512 but texture is 1024, the bump map will cause some strange issues. Those clothes work better without bump maps. A lot of toddler clothes have bump maps, and these will casue issues when visible, so you can get stuck fixing a lot of old clothes if you size up toddler skins, though.

The skin-resizing method is actually pretty neat, because the game will happily use the regular texture sizes if a larger size isn't available, so you can have most clothes with regular sizes and a few outfits with larger sizes, if need be.