Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 12:45 PM
Default Adapting an adult animation for children/toddlers to use.
I have been trying to figure it out but sadly couldn't. I can load the child/toddler rig files, and then load a .animation that was made for adults into that rig; the problem is that when I load the animation the bones the rig has stretch to the proportions of the adult rig; I'm thinking there could be two solutions to it, one would be an option somewhere in Blender that prevents the bones from being stretched in any way, and the other one would be if someone knew how to re-scale the bones back into child/toddler proportions. If someone has any other idea or directly knows how to adapt animations from adults to children/toddlers I humbly ask for help.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 28th Sep 2013 at 6:16 AM Last edited by Nakhranoth : 28th Sep 2013 at 7:19 AM.
Sorry for double posting, but I consider it needed a bump since I figured out how to do it and it might help those who need it.

The solution to adapting the animations is loading the adult rig and importing the adult animation into it, then appending the child rig to the scene and copying all the frames from the adult rig to the child rig, it will then be animated without stretching, I don't have an idea on why it works but it does. Another thing to note after that is that if you need to move the whole child body to avoid clipping and such, do it in pose mode by selecting all the bones, not object mode; because then the animation itself will not save the position.

Edit: scrap the object and pose mode thing, I don't know how to globally save the position offset > <

Edit again: the only thing left to do now is finding a way to change the position of the whole skeleton for all frames at once, if someone knows how to do that, please tell me.
Test Subject
#3 Old 30th Dec 2013 at 4:23 PM
I was messing with the G rated makeout couch animations, after all what guy could keep his hands to himself when making out? Well anyway I found out it was easy to do and easy to get back into the game and have thought about making a tutorial on it. After that worked I thought what dad doesn't put his arm around his kid and watch TV. The game considers the couch cuddle as romantic and that is another issue, plus I had to enable the cuddle for children, "core and tuning". Then I ran into the stretching thing. I searched everywhere and only found this post. I still haven't figured out how you copied the keyframes over, but I think I have an idea now that I have finally found some short cut guides for blender, how come it is not in the manual? Blender is unusable if you don't know the right shortcut.

I have also been importing Mocap animations and I wondered what would happen if I imported the adult animation and retargeted it to the child rig using the Mocap tools and It worked. I believe it is the solution to your question. Just set the height before you bake the animations over. There are several good bvh import tutorials on Utube only don't import, have an adult rig and a child rig. Load your adult animation in like normal using cliptool and use the Mocap tools to retarget to the child rig. Once set up it is easy to do. one thing to note is when using the guess button for the bones it gets most of them but misses a few and you really have to study the list to catch them. But once set up you can just load the animation to the adult rig, select adult rig first then the child rig, hit retarget and it plays on the child rig.

My problem is that I haven't got it to work in game yet. "It does with the animation player" I thought the game would just pick it up by just renaming it c2a_ _ _ _ . If you figure that out I would like to know. I am wondering if I have to find a game jazz script or obj file to modify or something.
Test Subject
#4 Old 8th Jan 2014 at 2:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fnap
I was messing with the G rated makeout couch animations, after all what guy could keep his hands to himself when making out? Well anyway I found out it was easy to do and easy to get back into the game and have thought about making a tutorial on it. After that worked I thought what dad doesn't put his arm around his kid and watch TV. The game considers the couch cuddle as romantic and that is another issue, plus I had to enable the cuddle for children, "core and tuning". Then I ran into the stretching thing. I searched everywhere and only found this post. I still haven't figured out how you copied the keyframes over, but I think I have an idea now that I have finally found some short cut guides for blender, how come it is not in the manual? Blender is unusable if you don't know the right shortcut.

I have also been importing Mocap animations and I wondered what would happen if I imported the adult animation and retargeted it to the child rig using the Mocap tools and It worked. I believe it is the solution to your question. Just set the height before you bake the animations over. There are several good bvh import tutorials on Utube only don't import, have an adult rig and a child rig. Load your adult animation in like normal using cliptool and use the Mocap tools to retarget to the child rig. Once set up it is easy to do. one thing to note is when using the guess button for the bones it gets most of them but misses a few and you really have to study the list to catch them. But once set up you can just load the animation to the adult rig, select adult rig first then the child rig, hit retarget and it plays on the child rig.

My problem is that I haven't got it to work in game yet. "It does with the animation player" I thought the game would just pick it up by just renaming it c2a_ _ _ _ . If you figure that out I would like to know. I am wondering if I have to find a game jazz script or obj file to modify or something.

Is there a way I can download your makeout animation? That bothers me too.