Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#76 Old 25th Apr 2018 at 12:46 AM Last edited by Eldonyx : 26th Apr 2018 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Additional argument for not geneticizing the skins
Hey,
Lurker coming out from hiding here, since I do know a thing or two about skin genetics from tests I did for my own alien-rich neighborhood (I love what you're doing with this one, by the way. Any chance we will get an overlay version of that sky?).

First things first: in the genetics tabs in SimPE, there are 4 skin slots, numbered 1-4 from top to bottom in the following explanations for convenience.

(This stuff is true regardless of the geneticized or custom state of the skins involved)
-Slot 1 contains the skin expressed by the sim in-game
-Slot 2 contains the Slot 1 or Slot 3 skin from one of the sim's parents
-Slot 3 contains the recessive skin of the sim
-Slot 4 contains the Slot 1 or Slot 3 skin from the other parent
-Neither Slot 2 nor Slot 4 can be transmitted to the sim's children. They represent the extremities of the scale from which the sim's Slot 1 skin was picked
-Either Slot 1 or Slot 3 can become the sim's children Slot 2 or Slot 4 (The other slot will be filled by the other parent)

Now, about the geneticized/custom difference:

For a sim whose ancestors only transmitted geneticized skins ("fully human" sims):
-Slot 1 and Slot 3 are always the same, meaning the sim will always transmit the same skin color to form one extremity of their children's color range. The value of Slot 3 can be changed in SimPE without causing any trouble, however; in this case, the color range potentially exhibited by the children might vary depending on which slot they receive as one extremity of their possible color range, meaning a S1 couple with S4 in one sim's Slot 3 might get S1 to S4 children, if Slot 3 gets transmitted instead of Slot 1 (happens at random). Unfortunately, that will not happen naturally in-game.
-Slot 1 (and 3) is a skin picked randomly from the range fixed by the genetic values of the skins in Slot 2 and Slot 4.

If there is a custom skin involved:
-We've already established that a sim transmits either Slot 1 or Slot 3 to their children; the skin transmitted becomes the child's Slot 2 or Slot 4. If the skin transmitted is custom (and regardless of if the other parent's transmitted skin is custom or geneticized), then a range for Slot 1 (and 3) cannot be calculated; thus the child will get the skins transmitted from the parents and no other. In this case, Slot 1 and Slot 2 will be filled by a skin transmitted by one parent, and Slot 3 and 4, by the skin transmitted by the other parent. The genetic status of the skins involved has no impact on which skin goes where: there's a 50/50 chance of Slot 1 and 2 being occupied by the geneticized skin or by the custom skin (except in cases of alien abduction; more on that below).

For a sim born of an alien abduction (with a fully human parent or otherwise):
-Slot 1 and Slot 2 are invariably filled by the alien skin, and Slot 3 and Slot 4 are invariably filled by the human parent's Slot 1 or Slot 3 skin (which will be the same unless you tampered with Slot 3 in SimPE beforehand). Since a sim will transmit either Slot 1 or Slot 3 to their children, that alien baby might transmit either the alien or the human skin to their children, with 50/50 chances. As far as I can tell, this behaviour is related to it being an alien abduction rather than to the skin itself: it does the same for multi-PT mods with custom skins, but those same skins will behave as normal if just put on a normal sim.

Voila, that's it for me. Does it make sense?

And to conclude, my own two cents on the subject:
Don't geneticize the alien skins. Despite being custom, they're not really more likely to take over the neighborhood, and personally, I prefer getting blue or pink rather than purple over getting a sim randomly born with a skin that can't be explained by their ancestors. For this reason, I would also recommend not putting human skins as recessive for the aliens: since they haven't had any contact with humans yet, it would make no sense for them to have human-skinned children (and it would happen).
However, it would be interesting to have alien recessive skins for the aliens; this way, for example, if a sim has green in Slot 1 and aqua in Slot 3 and the other parent has purple in Slot 1 and blue on Slot 3, the child may get any of these colors, simulating what might have happened if the skins were geneticised on a range between purple and green.

Edit:
And here's another reason not to geneticize the alien skins: not everyone uses the same color scale for their skins, so a lot of people will likely need to adjust the genetic values anyways. A custom skin, however, will behave the same in everyone's games (and if someone prefers them geneticized, it's no more work than it would be to change existing values). Basically, it would be a little less work for most people to leave them custom - the only ones for whom it would mean more work would be those who want their skins geneticized and who already use the same color scale as you.

... Or perhaps you could offer both a custom and a geneticized version, as a lot of creators do? It just occurred to me that this might be the simplest solution, since it wouldn't mess with anyone's existing genetics anyway, and it would also give those who don't have SimPE more choice.
Advertisement
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
Original Poster
#77 Old 5th May 2018 at 6:25 PM
Well, I changed my mind. I'll offer a geneticized and a non-geneticized version.

Catalogue of Custom Neighborhoods for TS2
All Hood Building Group neighborhoods are available here
Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#78 Old 12th May 2018 at 11:54 PM Last edited by Jawusa : 20th May 2018 at 12:28 AM.
Alright...

I'm still not done with adding all of the memories yet but I'm making progress.
I changed the storyline of the Capp and Goth/Caliente household a little to make it more interesting.

Helen Wheels and Ida Juana Knowe haven't been added yet... but they'll also be included in the neighborhood.
Neighborhood with Sims
Neighborhood CC

By the way, I'd like to convert some of the families into Townies... to reduce the number of playable families.. so which families did you find annoying while playing? Those families could be changed into Townies... but I can't decide which ones..

As always, this is still a BETA version, therefore... expect oddities! I'll include a CC-free version once I know this one here is done.

Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#79 Old 13th May 2018 at 5:32 PM
By the way.. let me know if you find any other family ideas.. I know some of them are a little boring.. so how could I improve the storyline?

My Simblr
Scholar
#80 Old 18th May 2018 at 6:35 PM
maybe the lafontaines and sombreors can be townies?

i've been playing in the aquila household and can i sart a thread called what have you been doing in aileen landing? or is it too soon? anyway i think ganymede is the nanny/slave of melboula well she could be.

the meacocks could be townified

i love all aspects off aileen landing especially the architecture! oh i've been rambling a bit haven't i? sorry! just like the town!

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#81 Old 19th May 2018 at 12:52 PM
Lol! Of course you can start such a thread if you like.

A thread for Emerald Heights was also created while it was still in development. So, I don't mind that.

My Simblr
Scholar
#82 Old 19th May 2018 at 1:05 PM
ok i think i'll start it now!

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#83 Old 20th May 2018 at 11:19 AM
By the way, I have mixed feelings about the extended family relationships...
In the 'hood, there are first cousins once removed and second cousins... which wouldn't consider each other as relatives... because that's how the game is.

Should I set them as "cousins" in the relationship panel? Or leave them as they are?
The same for great-grandparents...

My Simblr
Lab Assistant
#84 Old 20th May 2018 at 11:39 PM
Hi I would a recommend to rebuild the Caliente's house, it has too many floors meaning takes ages for sims to get the bedrooms.
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#85 Old 21st May 2018 at 11:21 PM Last edited by Jawusa : 22nd May 2018 at 9:34 PM.
Well... I changed my mind. I left the family trees intact.
As to me, it doesn't look that confusing... it's just that some sims have lots of children..

Anyway, there still are first cousins once removed... or second cousins... in the neighborhood.

However, they do not consider each other as family members and don't remember each other being born.
So.. in theory, they could marry if the user doesn't have this mod installed. http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=610804

The neighborhood itself... http://simfil.es/553764/
The CCs are found here... http://simfil.es/491970/

My Simblr
Test Subject
#86 Old 7th Jun 2018 at 1:09 PM
Hello everyone!
Firstly, I want to thank you for this beautiful, colorful and interesting neighborhood. I decided to take some part in making this project better (although it's arleady amazing). I hope you won't mind if I write here some of my remarks. I've noticed recently some problems, which may lead to permament neighborhood corruption. I mean, f.e. in the Sombrero family live three teenage aliens with low aspiration meter, who often and gladly destroy urns of their ancestors. I think it's a serious problem, especially for those, who don't know that they can repair the urn using boolprop testingcheatsenabled true --> broke/repair. Sometimes Sims break the urn and then clean remains automatically and there is nothing to repair anymore = neighborhood corruption. I think the author of this marvelous project should reconsider some "Urn protection" f.e. fences and so on. It's all for now By the way, great job!
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#87 Old 10th Jun 2018 at 12:16 PM
@Anastazja612

Thanks so much for pointing out that issue!
Please, feel free to note down problems which you have encountered whilst playing Aileen Landing.
This is why, I uploaded the neighborhood in first place!

I like the idea of urn protection.

My Simblr
Theorist
#88 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 4:21 PM
Cyjon has a mod to prevent sims from cleaning up broken urns.

http://www.cyjon.net/node/535

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Field Researcher
#89 Old 16th Jun 2018 at 2:32 PM
Is there a tutorial that teaches how to extract your Sims with memories, names etc? I'm still kind of a "noob" at some of this.

Skoda and Tromsel Kzhyvfonhes would like to join the "Exodus" to "Aileen", but they want to go "intact", not just as corpses!

SpiWak, and Unit Nzhets have expressed interest also!

I tried to download, but I keep getting the "OOPS!" error!
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#90 Old 17th Jun 2018 at 8:01 PM
@Kunder

I fixed the download links now! Check it out!
You can extract appearances of sims but memories and information as such cannot be extracted.

My Simblr
Lab Assistant
#91 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 3:53 AM
Is the green sky supposed to affect other neighborhoods?

They should use The Sims 2 in psychology....it could work wonders.
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#92 Old 30th Jun 2018 at 9:09 AM
@bloodstained_black_lace

No, but apparently, there's no other way round.
I tried to link the sky mod to a specific neighborhood ID number (Aileen Landing's ID number), but this is not possible.

My Simblr
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#93 Old 12th Jul 2018 at 9:22 PM
Alright guys... may I ask your opinion about Aileen Landing? Because I have the feeling it needs to be re-created from scratch. You know... all those complicated family relations and all... extended family trees (there are second cousins in the neighborhood!) with NPCs set as relatives to the playables... maybe I went too much there. I have to create a more simplified version. Lol! Also, maybe this time without using the custom alien skintones which come along with the neighborhood?

My Simblr
Lab Assistant
#94 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 5:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jawusa
Alright guys... may I ask your opinion about Aileen Landing? Because I have the feeling it needs to be re-created from scratch. You know... all those complicated family relations and all... extended family trees (there are second cousins in the neighborhood!) with NPCs set as relatives to the playables... maybe I went too much there. I have to create a more simplified version. Lol! Also, maybe this time without using the custom alien skintones which come along with the neighborhood?

Would you be creating a simplified version alongside the current one or in replacement of it? And what would be the concrete advantages to that? Smaller neighborhood size?

Test of Time Challenge: Archea.
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#95 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 7:56 PM
@Eldonyx

No, to replace the current one. I'm not quite happy with the families, which is why, I want to recreate the neighborhood from anew and make it simpler by omitting some of the families.

My Simblr
Test Subject
#96 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 8:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jawusa
@bloodstained_black_lace

No, but apparently, there's no other way round.
I tried to link the sky mod to a specific neighborhood ID number (Aileen Landing's ID number), but this is not possible.

I'm sorry, if this has already been suggested before, but with the sky problem, have you considered making a deco sky box instead? (Like this for example: http://lowedeus.tumblr.com/post/151...ism-redux-redux)

And for the families, I just downloaded the neighborhood. So I can't say much about them yet, but I do love big complicated families! So I'd be totally fine with that! I just think it gives the player even more to explore! :D
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#97 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 11:21 PM
@reddragon14

Yes, it has been suggested before. The problem with deco sky box is that it doesn't change with the seasons and with night.
As you see in this post, currently it changes as the seasons change.

With sky boxes, I cannot create a moon that is almost invisible during daytime, but glows during nighttime. This is why, I decided not to do that.

As for the families, well, if you say so. However, I might have gone too far with family relations. I know that there are sims who are second cousins once removed
What do you think about the extra skintones? Should I use them or not?

Thank you so much for your feedback, though!

My Simblr
Mad Poster
#98 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 12:42 AM
Hiya Jawusa
I've been away from the group so long I can't remember if this is an HBG project, or your solo venture! Either way - if you want/need my "Colony" apartment complex, you are welcome to it! It's not BG though... and those really cool glass tunnels are CC

Is there anything I can help with to get Aileen Landing ready for upload? It is just such a cool idea - I can't wait to see it finished :lovestruc

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Lab Assistant
#99 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 4:36 PM
Hi Jawusa! Can you still keep this version of the neighborhood though? It is complicated considering family relationships, but I like Aileen Landing just the way it is. I believe it'll be perfect when every family gets its album and story.
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#100 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 9:04 PM
@bulbash

Well... the download links are still available... I'm just so unsure about this.
http://simfil.es/553764/
http://simfil.es/491970/

My Simblr
Page 4 of 7