Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd May 2018 at 6:22 PM Last edited by Mrmo : 11th Nov 2018 at 2:37 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims 2 and windows 7? Need advice.
Hello.
I did ask the question in this thread: http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...8&goto=lastpost but did get a reply telling me to post it here instead. So I do.

Anyway, I'm planning to build a newer windows computer and as I know that the Sims 2 runs good on Vista I wanted to have the same OS once more. I did get an offer to bay a (legal, never used) copy of windows Vista Ultimate but looking for parts I was told that this OS will not work good on newer hardware. I did the advice to move on to windows 10 but for all I know it does have it's share of problems. So what track should I follow? Should I:

A. Stick to Vista and hope that it will work on a newer machine.

OR:

B: Move on to windows 10 and hope that the game will work.

I need advice's on this issue because I'm far from a computer tec.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 23rd May 2018 at 11:15 PM
the operating system I have is XP. Sims2 seems to work fine with it.
not sure if XP can be bought nor how much it would cost if it can.

edit:: what you might be able to do might be to test this game with various operating systems.
then when you are done testing, might go with the operating system that works best.
Scholar
#3 Old 23rd May 2018 at 11:41 PM
I'm currently running TS2 on Windows 10, and while there are a few things one needs to do to get it as smooth as possible, it works. However, I only upgraded to 10 as my old laptop (running Windows 7) was old and I was concerned that I was overstressing the graphics card, in danger of letting it overheat, especially in summer, and was having trouble with the battery and cable anyway.

Personally, I'd recommend you use Windows 7 as your OS for the new rig; yes, it's technically obsolete, but it's actually very stable and you'll have fewer issues getting TS2 to run. The only issue I had was forcing the game to run on the graphics card, but that's a relatively easy fix compared to what I had to do for 10.

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Instructor
#4 Old 24th May 2018 at 2:13 AM
I would never recommend Windows Vista. It's quite possibly the worst Windows Operating System yet in terms of mechanics (some argue for Windows 8 to be, but it's mostly because of the navigability). If you run the game with expansion packs, you shouldn't have much issue getting the Sims 2 to work on Windows 10, and a lot of the issues you'll have to resolve to get it to work are easy to do.

Since you are still running Windows Vista in 2018, I imagine this won't matter to you too much (not saying that in a negative way), but a lot of Microsoft insiders suspect that Windows 10 will be the last major Windows OS and subsequent updates will be free. Heck, I got Windows 10 for free since it was being offered that way at first. Windows 7 will only be supported until 2020.

I might one day finish my Zanes Hollow project, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Until then, you can see what I'm up to on my Simblr!
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#5 Old 24th May 2018 at 3:15 AM
I have to say, I ran Sims 2 for YEARS on Vista. I never had a problem with it. Best computer I ever had, lasted about 7 years, and we won't discuss what all I put it through

Only problem I had was from the securom, and that was corrected after some expansion pack. If you are just planning on using the Vista computer for Sims 2, go for it! If it is just a gaming at home, no internet needed or wanted computer, no other games but older ones being played on it, type deal.

If however it is going to be your main computer? I wouldn't. I would go with one that is currently being supported. I would personally love to have an old xp or vista computer sitting around for older games. But I wouldn't use it on the internet. I actually am on 8.1 and run Sims 2 just fine on it. It is the UC version, two updates ago, as I installed it, removed Origin, and have never updated it since.

As far as newer hardware, there could be a problem yes, because there was some discussion a few years ago that Microsoft wanted manufacturers to make it where newer stuff wouldn't work on windows versions that are considered outdated/unsupported. I don't know how that came out at the end. I would actually get a nicer older computer off of amazon or ebay or buy the parts and build it myself, from stuff that is about 3 years old, to get it to work with vista. Again, only if it is never going on the internet.

Btw this is getting moved to help
Mad Poster
#6 Old 24th May 2018 at 8:17 AM
I play the UC on Windows 10, but there are players who use disks on Windows 10, and I believe that many of the principles will be the same.
You first of all will need to run the game in compatibility mode (XP seems to work best these days) and probably have to change the graphic rules, depending on your system and graphics card.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 24th May 2018 at 8:36 AM
It's my understanding that Microsoft have blocked updates for Windows 7, 8.0 and 8.1 on the current generation of processors. You might get it to run, but there's no guarantee you'd get all the drivers for your hardware since the older OS wouldn't have them for anything released since they started blocking this last summer. Vista would be worse, since it's out of support and hasn't been updated for even longer.

So your most realistic choices are either to buy older hardware and run an older OS, or to buy up to date hardware and run Windows 10.
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 24th May 2018 at 5:58 PM
Thanks for your help (and for moving thread, I did not know where to put it ).

As told, I'm not a computer tec and have to take the advice's I get. My summary of this thread is that a newer OS is the way to go and I'm fine whit it. Once again, thank's for being so helpful.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 24th May 2018 at 11:18 PM
Updates for 7,8 and 8.1 are not blocked. They are all still supported but naturally support for 7 will drop first. I am on 7 on a new computer. I chose to get 7. Asking which windows to get will get you a dozen different opinions.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10 Old 25th May 2018 at 1:11 PM
I reverted to Win7 to run the game (I now have a dual boot machine with Win10). The game is running very well and without memory problems. tbh, I'm getting to the point of wiping Win10 altogether - it's driven me up the wall over several things (latest thing is it won't work well with my preferred video player and force installed Microsoft Edge (I also have a preferred browser which is not Microsoft)).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 17th Sep 2018 at 5:23 AM Last edited by Mrmo : 17th Sep 2018 at 7:28 PM. Reason: The GPU was to old
It's been 3 months? Oh my...!

Anyway, I'm now (finally) in the process of building a new computer. I decided to go whit Win7 but I do not have anything to install yet. While I wait I keep on working at my new machine. It's going to be an Unbranded computer whit different parts. If you are interested I will provide the spec later.

Edit: For some reason I could not edit the title so please forgive me for it being incorrect. Anyway, I will provide the specs of my new machine here:

CPU: Intel Core i3-8100 3.6GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte H310M S2H'
Memory: 2X Corsair Vengeance LPX 4GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 6th Oct 2018 at 4:41 PM
Hi again.

I did try to edit the title but no luck.

Anyway, I'm getting very close now as I have the OS ready to install. But what do I do next? I have heard that there is a issue under win 7 where one if the folders duplicate and that it have to be renamed. Is that true? On my old computer I have all SP's exept Ikea and Holiday and all EP's exept M&G. I plan to install everything on my new computer and than replace the Sims 2 folder whit my old Sims 2 folder but will that be correct? Sure, I problebly have to install the patches and the updates again but will everything else (installed mods etc) work or does it need to be reinstalled? The problem is that I have been moving this downloaded files around so much I don't really know where to find them anymore. Please guide me through this project.
Scholar
#13 Old 6th Oct 2018 at 6:04 PM
never had that particular problem on W7, folders are duplicated (two copies of "EA Games" folder, though the game really uses only one) because the program does not understand multiuser concept at all. But it's not really "a problem". Some users said about the "TM" char in the folders' name problem, I've never personally had any with that. May be thing connected with some regionalizations (or not, it's Microsoft: nobody really knows )

Have you considered getting Ultimate edition from Origin?

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 6th Oct 2018 at 6:45 PM
Hi!

Thanks for the answer.
No, I'm not going to get the Ultimate edition. I thought about it but as I already have all the discs I never felt the need for it.
Scholar
#15 Old 6th Oct 2018 at 10:58 PM
make copies of these CD you the happy one!

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 6th Oct 2018 at 11:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mrmo
Hi again.

I did try to edit the title but no luck.

Anyway, I'm getting very close now as I have the OS ready to install. But what do I do next? I have heard that there is a issue under win 7 where one if the folders duplicate and that it have to be renamed. Is that true? On my old computer I have all SP's exept Ikea and Holiday and all EP's exept M&G. I plan to install everything on my new computer and than replace the Sims 2 folder whit my old Sims 2 folder but will that be correct? Sure, I problebly have to install the patches and the updates again but will everything else (installed mods etc) work or does it need to be reinstalled? The problem is that I have been moving this downloaded files around so much I don't really know where to find them anymore. Please guide me through this project.

Win 7 makes a second folder-you simply ignore it. If you rename it, it will simply make you another one lol.

I would recommend installing M&G.

Yes install an EP or SP, add the patch, install next EP and so on.

You will need the 4 gb patch and the graphic rules. See sticky threads.

Does what need to be reinstalled? Some things might, like CEP files in the installation files.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#17 Old 11th Nov 2018 at 3:05 PM Last edited by Mrmo : 14th Nov 2018 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Added question
So, finally we have some progress. It's no longer just talk, it's action!

Today I did take some time (about an hour) and installed every EP from Base game up to M&G. And all of the SP's too. I claim to have them all . Now, there was some issues. I had all the patches on a USB stick (downloaded from SimsWikia as I did not know where to find the here ) but it seemed like I could not install any patch before installing Pets (EP4). When I did try the text did say that the game was updated already. And it was not before Pets that I could complete the installation whitout inserting the Basegame* disc first. I suspect this is because I do have the DD edition. (*Read: Double Deluxe)

Now, I suspect that the 4 gb patch is needed on newer systems but I'm do not know what the Graphics ruler does or how it works. I can install it but I need help using it.

If I understand you correcs J&S77, some things do not return just because I move my old downloads folder in. But what if I move my old Sims 2 folder into the Documents folder? Would it not write over the files already in there or does it not work that way? So far i have not been playing the game on the new machine, I only took a short play session to test and did not save anything. So I do not have any Save files to lose.

I will continue the project next week and if you do have any input to my post it's welcome.

Edit: And what about installed sims? Would they be in my game after moving the downloads folder in?
Scholar
Original Poster
#18 Old 18th Nov 2018 at 3:40 PM
So I did take a look at this project.

i did not get any input on however it was possible to get everything working just by pasteing my old Sims2 folder in so I thought I would give that a try. so I looked around and to (NO) surprise I did find not one but two EA games folders in the Documents folder. one or them was empty and I opened up the otherone and replaced the Sims2 folder. That was no problem. But before I did this I had mounted a new GPU and when lounching the game a error box popping up telling me that the application would terminate because there was no DirectX9 compatible graphics adapter. Um, OK? I contacted my computer friendly co-worker/friend and he told me to get the new drivers from AMD (I did use the ones on the CD). OK, I will do so but that will be by the end of next week as I don't want to spend the rest of the sunday digging up drivers and such. So hopefully the game will run next week.