Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th May 2017 at 8:38 PM
Default BuBu Build + iCad palette = croi crying
I am trying to recolour Veranka's BuBu modular stairs in iCad's treehouse colour because all the things must match...
I tried repeatedly, and no joy. I finally grabbed the actual texture from the wall I'm trying to match, even though I thereby lost most of my wood grain.

With that texture, this is what my attempt looks like outside...

but this is inside (the two bottom steps). They're not even close! >.<

For comparison purposes, here is a recolour of Michelle's, which looks much the same indoors (the steps above mine on the indoor shot) and out.

What am I doing wrong?
Advertisement
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#2 Old 17th May 2017 at 1:43 PM
A look at the package would be helpful
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#3 Old 17th May 2017 at 6:04 PM
It might be your TXMT. If it is too different, it will react differently from the wall under different lighting.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th May 2017 at 8:56 PM
@gdayars. To avoid going off-site, you can take a look at the set in Michelle's recolours here. It includes all the meshes.

@Phaenoh. Should the stair TXMT be the same as the wall one?
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#5 Old 17th May 2017 at 11:47 PM
I don't know that I've ever seen a wall txmt, but if it does exist, you should match the stair one to it.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#6 Old 18th May 2017 at 1:20 AM
@croiduire
You'll want to match the stdMatDiffCoef of your recolor to the wall's. That should fix it for you. If it doesn't? Check the stdMattEmissiveCoef and stdMatSpecCoef too and if they're different, change your recolor to match. (Shouldn't be necessary though.)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st May 2017 at 9:58 PM
Reporting back after quite a bit of testing...
Matching the stdMatDiffCoef helped but did not solve the problem. Frustrated, I tried the same thing using the mahogany walls and door from Glamour Life. I made a plain panel wall and two so that the bronze trim was two tiles wide instead of one tile; they match just fine. The floor looks good colour-wise (although I should have chosen a template that isn't so strongly planked). The stairs...I had the same problem I was having with treehouse. I also recoloured @mustluvcatz under-stairs storage, and it too was paler than the walls, although I used the exact same texture for everything. I ran into a different problem on the Double Eloquence door; it matches in sunlight but is too dark inside! I am off to check the stdMattEmissiveCoef and stdMatSpecCoef and hope for the best, but I really need a tutorial on what all these values mean and how to adjust them. >.<
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#8 Old 21st May 2017 at 10:24 PM
You can look at Pixelhate's profile - he wrote TXMT guides. There are 5 (I think?), I know at least one of those tells you about all the values.

Since changing just the one value didn't work for you, you'll probably want to check the stdMattEmissiveCoef for sure. It sounds like the value might not be 0,0,0 for the wallpaper you're trying to match. That's the one that will add a.. tint of sorts to a texture: if the texture is white and the stdMattEmissiveCoef value is yellow, the texture won't look "pure" white. (It's also used to change the color of glass if there is no actual texture for it.) The other value, stdMatSpecCoef, has to do with the amount of shine an object has if I'm remembering correctly.

(Actually, the whole above is me writing from memory so I hope I was remembering correctly!)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 22nd May 2017 at 2:02 AM
@mustluvcatz. OMG, that is huge! Thank you for the reference, and @Pixelhate, bless his retired soul wherever he is, for the tutorials! This time that light at the end of the tunnel might not be an oncoming train.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#10 Old 29th May 2017 at 8:48 AM
Just want to say that, yes: change the stdMatDiffCoef to change the color; stdMatEmissiveCoef can be used to make things glow; stdMatSpecCoef has to do with the color of the shine. (stdMatEnvCubeCoef has to do with the amount of shine.)

Came back to this thread because I found the above (which was made by me) post elsewhere. So apparently I wasn't remembering correctly in my previous post. Finding that post was kind of spooky as I wasn't even looking for it (was looking for something totally unrelated) BUT at the time I found it I was playing around with shine and the color of the shine... *hears eerie music*