Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Sep 2019 at 11:00 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Physiology fix not working - load order/HCDU query
Hello! I was playing Sims 2 today when I noticed that my sim rapidly gained body skill, having studied physiology in uni. I double checked that I had Gummilutt's PhysiologyFix, then I downloaded a fresh copy of it from here just in case it had been somehow written to. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem. I generated a new UC folder and placed the mod in there, and it worked, indicating that it was a mod conflict problem. However, HCDU reports no conflicts with it, and I opened the mod in SimPE and it only contains a single BHAV. I thought it should show up in the HCDU as it detects BHAV conflicts?

I decided to try loading it last, after all other CC/Mods, but it still didn't work. I know I'm going to have to do the 50/50 to figure this out (unless someone has somehow encountered this too!) but I wanted some clarification about load order for future reference. If a mod is loading after all other Mods, the one loading last should be the behaviour that shows in game right? So if there is another mod in my Downloads with the same BHAV, this one should take precedence, but it still doesn't work. Hopefully someone can explain this to me, as I'm a little confused about it. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 2nd Sep 2019 at 8:48 AM
Yes, the mod that loads last is the selected one. That is strange that HCDU doesn't show a conflict though.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Sep 2019 at 11:30 PM
Well, I figured out which mod was conflicting. Thankfully, I keep a folder called "new" in my Downloads with things I've recently added so there was only around 20 files to go through. The one that was conflicting is a slower skilling mod called "Slower_skills_1" which I found over on MATY recently when looking to make my sim's lives harder. I opened both mods up in SimPE and I think I know why they are conflicting (though I am by no means an expert and this is just a guess).

The physiology fix mod contains a single BHAV while the slower skilling mod contains a single BCON but both of these have listed the same group number, 0x7FB9261E, which I'm presuming caused the problem. I think HCDU did not detect it as they are two different things (a BCON and a BHAV) rather than two of the same type. I'm still confused about why the load order did not make any difference, but at least I've figured out the problem.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 2nd Sep 2019 at 11:55 PM
So, I'm not a modder, but your finding sounds reasonable. And...I wonder whether the reason that load order doesn't change anything is that one is a BCON and one is a BHAV---because load order only "solves" things when the game ends up overwriting the earlier-loaded mod's resource with the later-loaded one's. (So, one BHAV overrides another.) But I'm just guessing.

By the way, thanks for looking into and posting about this---I also have an old slower skilling mod, though usually I don't allow my sims to study Physiology at all. However, just recently I started allowing it, figuring gummilutt's fix would keep it from being cheaty. Lo and behold, my experience was the same as yours. So this is interesting to know!

For me, I think I'll just go back to not allowing them to study Physiology unless there turns out to be a way to make gummilutt's mod (or a new one) compatible with that slower skilling mod (I believe I have version 3 of the one you have; just a different flavor rather than a later release). Plenty of other wants I can have them fulfill!

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#5 Old 3rd Sep 2019 at 12:53 AM
Both the bcon and bhav contain the same group number because they belong to the same skill. They don't conflict with each other which is why HDCU detects nothing. Without seeing the bcon I'm guessing here. But gummilutt's mod is using the values in that bcon to generate it's values. So the different values are skewing the calculations in the bhav.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 3rd Sep 2019 at 3:41 PM
Very interesting, @HugeLunatic ! So if I understand you correctly, then load order *could* make a difference in this case? That is, maybe if gummilutt's mod loads first, then it's using unaltered BCON values, after which the slow-skilling mod should be able to load and do whatever it does with the BCON...

I'll check it out soon in my game, though likely not immediately.

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#7 Old 3rd Sep 2019 at 6:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by natboopsie
So if I understand you correctly, then load order *could* make a difference in this case? That is, maybe if gummilutt's mod loads first, then it's using unaltered BCON values, after which the slow-skilling mod should be able to load and do whatever it does with the BCON...

That would be one way to test it yes.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 2:04 AM
Thank you for clarifying that @HugeLunatic

@natboopsie I tried changing the load order again and unfortunately it didn't work. However, I did find another slower skilling mod by lientebollemeis which comes in 3 types - 2 hour, 6 hour and 28 hour/skill point. I tested the 2 hour and 6 hour versions and both work with Gummi's physiology fix (I actually ended up just combining the skillspan mod with the physiology fix into one package in SimPE for simplicity) though I noticed the times are definitely longer than indicated. The 6 hour version was too slow for me (it certainly wasn't 6 hours) so I went with the 2 hour version, which took around 8 hours for a skill point. I also noticed that liente's mod contains 2 BCONs where Gummi's only had one, so maybe that is why this one works, although possibly affecting the time? Either way, I'm glad I now have both features in the game!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 8:53 AM
Just noticed that I have both mods too. I'll have to keep an eye on them.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 12th Sep 2019 at 5:27 AM
Belatedly: thanks, TheDarkLady, for sharing what you found that worked! Since that slower skilling mod I use is no longer available anywhere, I've been thinking I need an alternative from an active modder...so I'll try out the ones you mentioned.

(And if anyone needs a link to lientebollemeis' skillspan mods, they are all in this post on her site.)