Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jan 2018 at 6:58 PM Last edited by Kagamine Rin : 23rd Jan 2018 at 7:16 AM.
Default (SOLVED!)I cannot assign bones properly on this very long pigtails hair mesh!
Hi!
I have problem with a mesh I have been converted from Phantasy Star Online 2, it´s a hairmesh.
Due to it´s length it´s very hard to assign bones properly.
Especially on the sides where the hair is most apart from the body.
I have been trying the absolute biggest and widest mesh I could find: the Llama Mascot Mesh!
But that´s not enough!
The hair is still bending in a strange way!
And just the hairmesh has whole 37 bones! (35 bones in this picture though)
The mesh is low poly, 1458 verts and 1358 faces.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 22nd Jan 2018 at 3:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kagamine Rin
Hi!
I have problem with a mesh I have been converted from Phantasy Star Online 2, it´s a hairmesh.
Due to it´s length it´s very hard to assign bones properly.
Especially on the sides where the hair is most apart from the body.
I have been trying the absolute biggest and widest mesh I could find: the Llama Mascot Mesh!
But that´s not enough!
The hair is still bending in a strange way!
And just the hairmesh has whole 37 bones! (35 bones in this picture though)
The mesh is low poly, 1458 verts and 1358 faces.

Could you send the file because I might be able to help even though I know even less about this stuff then you do?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Jan 2018 at 11:09 AM
Default Sure!
I will send you both the unmodified file (without bones) and the modified one.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Hatsune Miku Hair(Deformed).zip (1.39 MB, 21 downloads) - View custom content
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#4 Old 22nd Jan 2018 at 2:41 PM
It's actually quite an easy fix, basically what you want to do is reimport your hair file (With the bones alreaddy attached, I know they're wonky now, but that's what we're going to fix) select the verticles that needs reassigning, and if we go to the joints tab, there's this entire list with bones. Now from here what I'd do is go with the 'head' one if possible. If you know what you're doing, you can also go with a different bone to make it more smooth when the sim is bending over but that's just to get some realism... although even that is pretty hard to achieve with really long hairstyles
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Jan 2018 at 3:10 PM
Yeah, I know this.
But I don´t know which bone(s) that´s struggling, that´s the problem.
Well, I can go with less bones but then the hairtips would not bend as it should.
Is 35 bones too much?
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 22nd Jan 2018 at 5:21 PM
I'm not completely sure that this is the cause of the distorted hair but when I imported the meshes in Milkshape and took a good at it I saw two splits on both sides of the hair which are dark black areas that i'm trying to stitch together with little success and I wound up messing the hair mesh up. Since you're a bit more experienced in this then I am maybe you'll know what i'm talking about.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Jan 2018 at 10:37 PM
Default Yeah! I did it! :D
It was as I thought!
It was the bones that were struggling!
Here´s the result!
Thank you for your help and advices!
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#8 Old 22nd Jan 2018 at 10:52 PM
Omg!!I love it!Honestly i turned out great! ^^
Congratualtions on succeeding!!
Any plans on sharing this hairstyle?? :3
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 22nd Jan 2018 at 11:13 PM
Default Of course! Sure! :)
Well, thank you!
It makes me so happy when you say that!
Of course I will share it to you, that makes me even happier to hear that you want this mesh!
I´m gonna look in the game first to see if everything is okay.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 23rd Jan 2018 at 12:48 AM
Well, thank you!
It makes me so happy when you say that!
Of course I will share it to you, that makes me even happier to hear that you want this mesh!
I´m gonna look in the game first to see if everything is okay.

I'm so proud of you. How did you manage to fix it and do you mind sharing the hair with me too? Oh and I just turned 20 a few days ago.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 23rd Jan 2018 at 7:12 AM
Thank you Gamegenius! I was Importing the mesh without bones and imported a mesh with bones and then followed this tutorial: https://serenity-fall.dreamwidth.org/1813.html It´s for Sims 2 though, but it works nearly same as a Sims 3 Mesh. Of course I share it to you too,I promised you that! That´s good to hear that they are actually people that want this hairstyle! :D
I also have 3 other hairstyle I want to share too, along with some outfits I have not been started on yet.
Congratulations to your birthday! My 21th birthday was on 7th january this year.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 23rd Jan 2018 at 1:44 PM
Thank you Gamegenius! I was Importing the mesh without bones and imported a mesh with bones and then followed this tutorial: https://serenity-fall.dreamwidth.org/1813.html It´s for Sims 2 though, but it works nearly same as a Sims 3 Mesh. Of course I share it to you too,I promised you that! That´s good to hear that they are actually people that want this hairstyle! :D
I also have 3 other hairstyle I want to share too, along with some outfits I have not been started on yet.
Congratulations to your birthday! My 21th birthday was on 7th january this year.

Happy Birthday to you too. You know it's kind of funny how much we both have in common including the month of our birthday.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 23rd Jan 2018 at 8:05 PM
That's the best news ever!!!Awesome, and thank you so much!!Honestly i cant wait!!
Keep on being creative!Cant wait to see more of your stuff!!
Have fun and happy birthday on both of you!! :3