Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 10:52 PM Last edited by TMBrandon : 26th Jan 2016 at 8:00 PM.
Default RollerCoaster Tycoon World / Planet Coaster Discussion Thread
Well... it's here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzg...eature=youtu.be

But it's not looking so good. I think they're about to have a little bit of TS4 dilemma for themselves. I'm actually speechless at what has been presented. I was expecting something, I dunno, better than that?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 6th Mar 2015 at 2:24 AM
I don't know if I cry or if I laugh, seriously....I'm laughing right now. I mean...first I watched it, denial mode...then I watched again "wtf this looks just like rct3 where's the improvement?" and so I watched again . I can't believe just yesterday I was saying to a friend how much I was hoping this game won't be a let down and now this.

RCT was the first PC I ever played so the franchise has a special place in my heart.

I'm not sure if any gameplay in the world can make it up for this...but I'll still wait to see how it will turn out.

Let's just agree to disagree.
Theorist
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Mar 2015 at 9:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by queziacristina
I don't know if I cry or if I laugh, seriously....I'm laughing right now. I mean...first I watched it, denial mode...then I watched again "wtf this looks just like rct3 where's the improvement?" and so I watched again . I can't believe just yesterday I was saying to a friend how much I was hoping this game won't be a let down and now this.

RCT was the first PC I ever played so the franchise has a special place in my heart.

I'm not sure if any gameplay in the world can make it up for this...but I'll still wait to see how it will turn out.

Yeah, I don't know how to feel either. I still feel like I'm in denial mode, but in the comments of the video people are saying it looks like they simply ported RCT4 Mobile to the PC. I personally have never played nor have any interest in RCT4M but after seeing that gameplay trailer... It's definitely erm questionable. But just like you, I'll wait to see how it turns out as well, I played RCT from the getgo and was hooked, and would be still (especially now that I have a computer x10 better than what I had at that time) but my registration key somehow walked out of the case for RCT3 so I'm not able to install it. Although, I'm contemplating repurchasing it because it's extremely cheap nowadays haha.

Anyways, hopefully we start seeing some live gameplay and I can get a better feel for it, and if I will invest in this game or not. I was really looking forward to it, and after reading the dev blogs it sounded promising... Time shall see I guess.
Instructor
#4 Old 6th Mar 2015 at 10:57 PM Last edited by queziacristina : 6th Mar 2015 at 11:10 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by TMBrandon
Yeah, I don't know how to feel either. I still feel like I'm in denial mode, but in the comments of the video people are saying it looks like they simply ported RCT4 Mobile to the PC. I personally have never played nor have any interest in RCT4M but after seeing that gameplay trailer... It's definitely erm questionable. But just like you, I'll wait to see how it turns out as well, I played RCT from the getgo and was hooked, and would be still (especially now that I have a computer x10 better than what I had at that time) but my registration key somehow walked out of the case for RCT3 so I'm not able to install it. Although, I'm contemplating repurchasing it because it's extremely cheap nowadays haha.

Anyways, hopefully we start seeing some live gameplay and I can get a better feel for it, and if I will invest in this game or not. I was really looking forward to it, and after reading the dev blogs it sounded promising... Time shall see I guess.

The official forum is flooded right now by disappointed fans. I saw people saying that they're afraid the first better looking screenshots we've seen months ago were from Pipeworks studio days and that since they left the game perhaps it had to be redone(within a new engine) by the new studio Area 52 Games. It kinda looks like they're reusing assets from RCT3...Idk, even RCT3 looked better. People were also complaining(with reason) that the rides and coaster were badly done, like things were just randomly plopped. This game is supposed to be released mid 2015, so is not like there's much time left to improve it. People right now are looking forward to Frontier(RCT3 Developer) project set to be released next year, Coaster Park Tycoon. They're also waiting for RCTW next official blog.

Lots of people in denial mode hoping it's a joke...or that "this is just a teaser, it will look better". I'm not really confident.

ETA: I found this:
http://powerleveled.com/contrary-to...-look-like-sht/
Quote:
As you can plainly see, the new Rollercoaster Tycoon title will be visually clean and will not reflect that of a single screenshot from an extended trailer they produced way back in August of last year. We had our hands on the same trailer, in its lesser cut back then and the hands-on experience felt better than this hype video with a grander park experience, more people in the park and a much more robust park building engine.
Rollercoaster Tycoon: World wouldn’t even have to tote a fantastic graphics engine, though it’s certainly not as bad as Kotaku is portraying – the game will carry itself on refined and spectacular rollercoaster building. That’s what you bought the games for back in 2004, and in 2015 RCT:W will be more intuitive and more fantastic than ever. If you need more proof than my own words, get back with us in a few months or read up on our first impressions right now because Rollercoaster Tycoon: World may be all we’re playing.
UPDATE: We here at PowerLeveled are currently in contact with Atari as they close out their interactions at the Game Developers Conference this week. We’ve sent them a Q&A regarding the graphics, which engine they are using currently and more. We’ll keep you posted as this information clears up and hope to bring you something more to look forward to.

Maybe there's hope.

Theorist
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Mar 2015 at 11:49 PM Last edited by TMBrandon : 7th Mar 2015 at 12:12 AM.
The official forum is flooded right now by disappointed fans. I saw people saying that they're afraid the first better looking screenshots we've seen months ago were from Pipeworks studio days and that since they left the game perhaps it had to be redone(within a new engine) by the new studio Area 52 Games. It kinda looks like they're reusing assets from RCT3...Idk, even RCT3 looked better. People were also complaining(with reason) that the rides and coaster were badly done, like things were just randomly plopped. This game is supposed to be released mid 2015, so is not like there's much time left to improve it. People right now are looking forward to Frontier(RCT3 Developer) project set to be released next year, Coaster Park Tycoon. They're also waiting for RCTW next official blog.

Lots of people in denial mode hoping it's a joke...or that "this is just a teaser, it will look better". I'm not really confident.

ETA: I found this:
http://powerleveled.com/contrary-to...-look-like-sht/

Maybe there's hope.

Oh my, I haven't checked the official forum out since the release of the video, I'll have to check it out. But yes I do agree that RCT3 looked better than what they have shown in the trailer. However, I forgot all about those screenshots and after seeing them again and comparing them with what was revealed in the trailer I'm hoping the former is what will make it on the shelves. And I didn't know about the studio change, that definitely has me worried now, lol. Welp, I guess time will tell.

And it's actually funny that you mention Frontier, I was stalking them back in 2013(?) whenever they first announced they were working on a spinoff for RCT and they were asking for feedback like crazy, but then like everything died down. But I'm glad to hear that they're still working on it, maybe we'll see something at E3 or Gamescom (was it Gamescom last year when all the coaster spinoffs included RCTW were announced?).

EDIT: Wait, pause, hold up, I just realized that Frontier was responsible for ScreamRide, if that's the direction they're taking for Coaster Park Tycoon, then, :D
Instructor
#6 Old 8th Mar 2015 at 3:46 AM
RCT forum admin posted this:
Quote:
I will add that the teaser is indeed from an early build and the reason for it will be explained in our post. There has been a lot of work done on other aspects of the game before visuals, details in the post...

Our goal is to have amazing gameplay (which a key aspect that sets the foundation for a fun game) and has been our current focus over the last number of months but yes of course hi-res amazing visuals are critical as well and we will have those too once we are ready.

Everybody's waiting for that dev blog now. He said they couldn't post yet because they're busy with GDC.

*fingers crossed*

Theorist
Original Poster
#7 Old 9th Mar 2015 at 3:51 AM Last edited by TMBrandon : 19th Mar 2015 at 9:36 PM.
RCT forum admin posted this:

Everybody's waiting for that dev blog now. He said they couldn't post yet because they're busy with GDC.

*fingers crossed*

I don't know, I still feel that graphics-wise we might still be let down. To my understanding, the screenshots we got first (which looked superb) were from Pipeworks during their pre-alpha stage and the people who attended gamescom or whatever convention it was, had hands on with the pre-alpha and were blown away. Now, apparently, the video footage shown from Area 52 (?) in the trailer was from "an early build" which doesn't necessarily sit too well with me in terms of the graphical situation shown. Why would someone approve such a clusterfuck of images to be shown to the masses? It looks horrid, and every time I try and rewatch and think about all the good things that could possibly come out of this all, I just can't. I really just can't. The more I see it the more I feel sick. I dunno, maybe there's a light at the end of tunnel, so I'll cross my fingers as well.

@queziacristina it's live! http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/...duction-blog-5/ Dev Blog 5, redemption?
Test Subject
#8 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 12:06 AM
I haven't kept up with this game much. It really does look like some kind of twisted RCT3 remake in HD. Honestly, all I care about is the scenarios, which were neither good quality nor good in quantity in RCT3...
Scholar
#9 Old 7th Apr 2015 at 11:24 AM
Not watching the trailer until someone confirms we can slaughter guests in the style of Final Destination 3 meets Goosebumps' Escape From Horrorland. Because otherwise what's the point?

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10 Old 7th Apr 2015 at 2:52 PM
Oh I remember that moment when, for the first time, I saw the train leave the rails and sail through the air. The screams. The flying bodies. It's what gaming is about.

Next thing was to design a coaster to get maximum lift.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Scholar
#11 Old 10th Apr 2015 at 8:39 AM
I only ever played the third one and the people got up fine after being thrown to their death. Was lame.

One of my favourite YouTube vids ever from when I was a kid. It introduced me to Sigur Ros. This was the stuff I did in the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnrHYY8TPqY

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Theorist
Original Poster
#12 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 1:17 AM
Ok, well, it seems fitting to resurrect this from the dead considering beta is tomorrow... This game has taken a complete 360 since March, however there's still plenty to desire.

How does everyone feel after to the stream and past couple of months? Also, will anyone be participating in the beta tomorrow?

The stream is here for those who would like to see it:
(starts here and disconnects in 20 minutes) http://www.twitch.tv/alienware/v/23055657
(picks up again for another hour and 16 minutes here) http://www.twitch.tv/alienware/v/23056938

And here's a BTS showcasing the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03tQP6pulHM
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 30th Oct 2015 at 9:35 AM
As far as I can see, the've been forcusing on building and customization. But what about the "tycoon" part of the game?

Also, good mod support intrigues me...
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 7:58 PM
Also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g85QBEhs3Yk

There has already been some kind of beta acess to the game, and there are already people that have played it.
But it seems like the "beta" is actually alpha as the only feature that was present in it is coaster building.

Also, Planet Coaster's animations look absolutely stuning. Best game animations ever. But it seems like the've focused on peeps too much. I can't wait to see how both games turn out.
Scholar
#15 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 4:57 AM
I didn't even know this was a thing (I don't keep up with video game news anymore) but I'm honestly really excited. RCT was my first PC game, followed by The Sims. I really thought the RCT games were officially with after RCT3, especailly after that ripoff game from RCT's creator came out in 2006/07.

The secret ingredient is phone.
Growing up means watching my heroes turn human in front of me.
Thank you, O Mighty Doom Deity! - BL00DIEHELL
Theorist
Original Poster
#16 Old 20th Nov 2015 at 3:19 AM
I'm not sure if you guys know this, and I haven't been doing good upkeep with this thread but the game has been delayed again to Early 2016.
Quote:
Our first Beta Weekend is now over and we want to sincerely thank you for ALL the feedback you’ve provided. A preview like this is an opportunity to showcase one main feature, in this case the coaster builder, and gather feedback. It is a way to test game elements and get some portions of the game in your hands, but this also means that the game you preview is neither complete nor final and should not be treated as such. Going forward, we will make sure to label what is and is not final during our previews in order to properly set expectations.

Additionally, what we showed during our Beta was a small portion of the content available in the finished game. Many core features were deliberately not included, giving us extra time to continue tweaking and polishing them. There is much, much more to RCTW — peeps, rides, simulation, campaign, economy, UGC, — than what you got to play in our first Beta. It’s heartening that even with this small slice of the RCTW experience, you were able to give us such tremendous and useful feedback.

As we had hoped, you’ve filled our forums with your thoughts, told us what you wanted this game to be and of course, filed a number of bugs. It shows your dedication and passion to the franchise, and your desire to have an impact on the development of the game and see your feedback implemented. It also got us thinking about all the other ways we could push the franchise forward with some additional time.

Many of you loved the game, some found certain aspects frustrating, and you all had tons of thoughtful suggestions for improvements. Based on your feedback and our own internal processes, here is a short list of features that will significantly improve the final product: easier “predefined piece” coaster building, additional coaster test feedback, a robust fencing tool, improved on-demand grid, and various smaller improvements.

To accommodate these improvements, and ensure that RollerCoaster Tycoon World will be the best, most innovative RCT experience to date, we will launch the game in early 2016. The new launch date will be communicated after the second preview.

Our highest priority has always been to release a game that we’re proud of, one that lives up to the lofty standards set by the previous titles. With this new timing we will be able to do just that — deliver a robust tycoon experience along with additional layers of polishing and tweaks that the extra time affords us.

So now, here is more detail on what improvements and additional features will be implemented within our adjusted timeline:

Additional Coaster Builder Functionality, using predefined lines and curves: As you know, the game offers a 3D spline-based coaster editor, giving you full flexibility to create never-before-possible track designs. As seen by the entries to our Alienware contest (http://bit.ly/RCTWContest) many of you were able to create some truly breathtaking rides. At the same time, it’s clear from our review of the Beta that some of you also desire the ability to build tracks with predefined lines and curves. Thus, we are adding that functionality to the coaster system to give you both options. It’s truly the best of both worlds.
Improved Coaster Test Mode Feedback: A pillar of the franchise is the ability to test coasters and then adjust them to provide a more exciting, safer, or in some cases even more nauseating experience. Our Beta test revealed that not everyone had the information they needed to effectively accomplish this. We have now designed an incredible system to provide detailed superimposed heatmaps right onto your coasters following tests. Also — we know that coasters fly off the tracks too often. An update is in the works!
Fence Tool: People are very passionate about their fences. So are we. Our fencing tool will be improved, allowing you to place fences more quickly, and align them exactly how you want.
On-Demand Grid: A number of you used the on-demand grid provided in the Beta but found it still too limiting. We have a number of designs for how we can make our grid system bigger and better.

We’ve learned a lot from the Beta and obviously have a number of bugs, memory leaks, polish items, and optimizations we want to do to make the game run smooth as butter.

There are also a number of other suggestions we’ve received from you that we are looking at implementing as well (such as improving path placement). That said our list above addresses the key items.

Speaking of tests; the change in timeline means that our next public play test will be moved as well. We are now targeting a second preview weekend for December. Our focus remains on the coaster builder with the additional tweaks and functionalities described above, along with a few other features. We want to ensure we get this right and we need your feedback.

Until our next test, the work continues, and we will keep you all updated with additional Twitch streams, production blogs and more in the coming weeks. We want to share renderings of some of these improvements as soon as we have them so that we can get feedback early. Please remember to continue participating on our forums and streams! Your voice is being heard and we are adapting to it!

Long before we started working on RollerCoaster Tycoon World, we knew it would be a massive undertaking. Not only did we want to remove the grid and overhaul the coaster builder, we also needed to create next-generation graphics, bring the entire franchise into the future, and create a title worthy of the RollerCoaster Tycoon legacy. We now have a clear path ahead of us, and with your instrumental feedback, we will be able to make RCTW the great game it is destined to be.

Sincerely,
Atari and Nvizzio
Team RCTW

RCTW - Blog #23 - RollerCoaster Tycoon World Releasing in Early 2016

Quote:
Hello Tycoons!

It has been another very busy and exciting week here at the studio. A lot of the improvements that we talked about in blog 23 are being implemented, including piece-by-piece coaster building. We’re already very impressed with the initial results, and we believe you will be too. As soon as we are a bit further along, we plan to share these new developments to get your impressions. Stay tuned for an upcoming blog with additional details.

That said, today I wanted to let everyone know that this coming Friday, November 20th, 2015 at 2PM ET we will be on Alienware’s Twitch channel (http://www.twitch.tv/alienware), where we will pick the winners of the Alienware RCTW Create and Share Coaster Contest! You can view the full list of submissions here: https://na.alienwarearena.com/groups...n-world/videos

It has truly been awe-inspiring to see all of the great coaster designs made during the Beta weekend. Your creativity has no limits. We are so glad many of you were able to use the tools provided to create fantastic coasters and we’re excited to further extend the functionality to open up even more possibilities.

The Alienware Stream will be a fun opportunity to recap the Beta weekend, see some amazing fan-made coasters, and of course — give away prizes! Your vote counts too so be sure to join us and help choose one lucky fan to win an Alienware Steam Machine for making the best coaster from the first Beta!

So without further ado — here are the finalists for the Coaster Contest (listed alphabetically by title)! These coasters were selected by fan votes on Alienware Arena.

TOP 20 VIDEOS! WINNER TO BE SELECTED DURING STREAM 11/20 @ 2PM ET on Twitch.tv/alienware

"The Incinerator"
Albatross: Roller Coaster Tycoon World Contest Entry
AW RC Contest
Blue Beta
Claustrophobia and Agoraphobia - RCTW Beta 1 Contest Entry
Figuring 8 RCTW Beta Contest
RCTW Contest Entry - Atlantis
RCTW Fireball Wizard Coaster Contest Entry
Rickety Railroad - RCTW Beta Contest Entry
RollerCoaster Beta #R&R Coaster
RollerCoaster Tycoon World Flying Race Coaster
RollerCoaster Tycoon World Jungle Fury Trailer for Alienware
RollerCoaster Tycoon World Teaser Custom Coaster
Sky Shark Coaster
The Albino
The Snake RCTW Beta1 Contest
The Traveler
TheFeatherless
Thunder - [Beta Weekend One]
Vulture (Excitement Rating Uber High)

See you Friday!

Cheers,
Mattlab
Team RCTW

RCTW - Blog #24 — Top 20 Coaster Videos and Upcoming Stream
Instructor
#17 Old 4th Dec 2015 at 12:06 AM
@TMBrandon I'm more confident now. After they got the third studio things seem to be improving, they're also in constant exchange w/players and fans, so fingers crossed. I'm gonna wait for the official release, before jumping in. But next year they have competition, Planet Coaster is being developed by Frontier(RCT 3).
https://www.planetcoaster.com/

Have they revealed the peeps from RCT World? I think the last time I saw them in beta videos was kinda like ghost place holders.

Planet Coaster's peeps, you can really see they are the evolved version of RCT3 peeps.

Super adorable cartoon style, I'm liking it. And wow that's a lot of work.

Alpha will be available in march for those interested. As of now, we haven't seen the rides or coasters in great detail and they have all sorts of packages including a club w/exclusive access to info, rewards, etc....all in all ways to fund the game, so I think it's justified, just like those crowd funding sites.

I found this video

Now the question lots of people have, will Planet Coaster be to RCT World what Cities Skylines was to Simcity? Time will tell.

ps:sorry for the late response

Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 4th Dec 2015 at 5:09 PM
I have found that too. I constantly follow their twitter for some news on a game. They love to update things weekly, and they are open to discuss gameplay mechanics and concepts on forums. I really like what the devs are doing with Planet Coaster.

Devs of RCTWorld are enthusiastic too, but I'm affraid that the game is going to suffer from 3 dev studio change.
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 11th Dec 2015 at 7:30 PM
"Planet Coaster" is deffinitely in the lead, as it's still in pre-alpha but it looks 100 times better than 'RollerCoaster Tycoon World'.

Here are first two video dev diaries:

- Individual Experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tyWUT0UsZE
- Rewarding Creativity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOAiH4_Wrc4
Forum Resident
#20 Old 12th Dec 2015 at 3:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
"Planet Coaster" is deffinitely in the lead, as it's still in pre-alpha but it looks 100 times better than 'RollerCoaster Tycoon World'.

Here are first two video dev diaries:

- Individual Experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tyWUT0UsZE
- Rewarding Creativity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOAiH4_Wrc4

The whole "it's easier to create, but more complex" motto they seem to have makes me wary, as the exact same thing happened to The Sims 4, which lead to core systems being "dumbed down" and less than ideal. But since so far they actually seem to be a studio that actually seems excited to make the game, and that for them, adding features isn't "too hard", I still have great hopes for this.
Theorist
Original Poster
#21 Old 12th Dec 2015 at 6:32 AM
Welp there was an interview today from a forum moderator, JMR, with Matt:

Apparently these are the new things mentioned, I haven't watched it yet myself, but I snagged the list from another user:
Quote:
New Stuff

Piece-by-piece building with walls, roof, ect. CONFIRMED
Customizable peeps CONFIRMED
Saving custom specialty track pieces CONFIRMED
Memory leaks from Beta 1 FIXED
Fence building snap feature CONFIRMED
Two ways to make a coaster, Spline & Classic CONFIRMED
Water rides are coming CONFIRMED
Support for custom scenery, rides, coaster track, etc. CONFIRMED

Nice to have the above confirmed. But afaict (could tell), from the posts in the thread I was reading, water rides are still not at launch, which makes me wonder what they were planning to do for the next couple of months if the delay had not occurred since the game would have been "gold" and live two days ago.

Lastly, lots of backlash from the lack of information and just overall detail of the game especially for the price they're charging compared to Planet Coaster half the price, and looking like x10 the value. They need to step up, they're dragging us on, and we're getting to the point where not only is our skin gone, but now the bones are being sanded as well.

EDIT: Okay, nevermind, after watching the latest dev diary from PC, they have RCTW reckt, absolutely destroyed to oblivion.
Instructor
#22 Old 16th Dec 2015 at 1:34 AM
I friend sent me these RCTW flat rides pictures today, lots of them.
http://imgur.com/a/UsXbr
I'm not sure I like the art direction of the game, it seems so lifeless and... muddy, Idk. I've seen some people complaining that Planet Coaster is "too cartoon", that they would like something more realistic. I think RCTW is going for realism(btw they're using Unity, same engine as Cities Skylines, I'm not sure which engine PC is using). I can't wait to see how this competition will turn out. Planet Coaster looks so much more fun. If RCTW fails I'll blame Atari...I wonder if Frontier decided to leave Atari on their own to develop Planet Coaster or if it was because Atari refused the budget they wanted. Does anyone know?

Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 23rd Dec 2015 at 10:59 AM
Ok... I'm litterally blown away by Planet Coaster. There is a new video on their FB page that shows off the ride animations and guest reactions, how guests have tolerances and how you can customize the ride (not just rollercoasters but themed rides) sequence to match their needs and tolerances. And guests also animate and react accordingly to the ride animation, intensity, their preferences and their tolerance.

I'm in for the ride if you ask me!

Also... I don't know how big the team that works on this game is, but that looks a lot more work than on any other game that's currently out.
Theorist
Original Poster
#24 Old 26th Jan 2016 at 7:59 PM
Have you seen Devblog 3 for Planet Coaster?

*screams*

https://www.facebook.com/PlanetCoas...822658/?theater

Also will update with RCTW news later, gonna change the thread title to include Planet Coaster. It'll be interesting next month to see the two games battle until release date.
Instructor
#25 Old 1st Feb 2016 at 11:26 PM
I'm already concerned if I'll be able to run Planet Coaster properly O_O I want this game now! LOL
But they'll start alpha in March and I'm not the type of gamer that like testing and going through all this.

About the video they said:

Page 1 of 4