Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#851 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 8:12 PM
Is there any rules about using the easel and selling paintings? It makes really good money and it almost feels like cheating...
Advertisement
Test Subject
#852 Old 26th Dec 2015 at 1:46 AM
Hey! I am loving this. Question- can you adopt a stray pet and get it a pet job? Sorry if this was already answered...
Test Subject
#853 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 7:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Raime
The backstory of this challenge is your sim has moved away from the hustle and bustle of busy SimCity due to the over consumerist nature of the city folk. They've decided to move into a quaint neighbourhood and grow their own food and paint in a peacefull 'one with nature' environment. The Goal of this challenge is 10 generations of sims who only eat what they grow and their only income is from the paintings they sell using the easel. You will need the seasons ep to play this challenge.

GETTING STARTED
- An Adult CAS sim of any gender, looks and turn on/offs. The sim you create now can not be moved out or leave your household until death. Max of two sims for this starting point.
+To determine aspiration roll a dice/generate a number between one and six. Whatever number you get corrosponds to that aspiration in the lineup from left to right.
+To determine personality please see the below information

- Move into a house, you can make it, it can be premade, prefurnished whatever. As long as you can buy it with the starting 20k. I suggest a lot with farm plots and a pond for fishing!
-You can only start with $2000. Buy trees or family fund it. 2k, that's it!
- Buy an easel.

RULES
- There is a maximum of 2 adults, 1 elder at any time in a household and 1 teenager. You are allowed as many kids as you can handle but none of them can get jobs as teenagers or adults, they must move out either as teens are on the first day of being an adult. you are allowed pets, they're just also not allowed to get jobs.
- If you marry or move in a sim you are only allowed to keep $1500 of whatever they bring in.
- If you have a family aspiration sim you can only have kids when they want kids.
- If you don't have a family sim you must try for baby every after every 3 woohoos

- You can only use food you've grown or caught, feel free to use what comes free in the fridge when you buy it but after that you can not restock it!
- No ordering food over the phone such as pizza or chinese.
- You can only gain simoleans by selling your paintings.
- You can not sell your produce at all, only stock them in your fridge.

- EVERY SIM IN YOUR HOUSEHOLD MUST HAVE A PORTRAIT PAINTED OF THEM. Either as teens if you intend to move them out or, if they are staying, as an adult. You can not sell these paintings and they will become a family gallery.
- You must build a family gallery, big or little as you like but it must contain a picture of every sim on your family tree.

- The only electrical items you are allowed are phone x1, burglar alarm x1 and fire alarm x1 and lighting. If you have CC that looks like it doesn't run on electricity; say a crank car or steam powered radio, you are allowed that! You are a creative and free spirit, don't rot your mind with things like television and video games!
- Sprinkler system is only available if you have 17+ crops and only at the 2nd generation.

- Seasons go in the order of winter, spring, summer, fall.
- No hacks/cheats except move objects for decorative reasons.
- Aspiration awards allowed.
- The only non-human species allowed for this challenge is plantsims after the third generation and aliens at any generation.
- You are allowed only 1 move to a different lot.
- You can only reload your game if you start with 1 sim and they die without producing an heir.

CHALLENGE ENDS WHEN...
- All sims die.
- Tenth Generation becomes a teen.
- You forget a family portrait
- Have no money and no way to earn money i.e you sell the only easel.

PERSONALITY SELECTION
- Rolls a 6 sided die/ generate random number between 1 and 6.
- If even roll for the first list of star signs.
- If odd roll for the second list of star signs.

EVEN
1. Taurus
2. Cancer
3. Virgo
4. Scorpio
5. Capricorn
6. Pisces

ODD
1. Aries
2. Gemini
3. Leo
4. Libra
5. Sagitarius
6. Aquarius

You may alter the distribution of points as long as it remains the same starsign as indicated.

SCORING
1 point for every 2000 simoleons you finish up with
1 point for every painting not sold at the end
1 point per added cc paintings
2 points for every sim who died of natural causes
2 points for every child who got an A+
3 points for every toddler who leaned to walk, talk and use the potty before becoming a child
3 points for every child who maxed out creativity before teenagerdom
3 points for every sim with a gold talent badge in gardening
4 points for any teen with maxed aspirations
4 points for every portrait of a sim in your family who moved out
5 points per set of twins.
5 points for every celebration where an actual party was held i.e baby shower, wedding, birthday
10 points for any skills maxed out besides creativity

-2 for every electronic item besides those described
-4 per extra adults, elders or teens on your lot besides the allowed number
-5 for using food you did not grow/catch
-5 for having a child taken away
-3 for every time the repo man shows up
-6 for any sim who ever took a job

I'm currently testing this challenge and am having a blast!

Hi!
The modified challenge sounds awesome! It's like a farmer/poverty legacy challenge.
The only thing I would do is give more choices of what the family could do to make money other than paintings. How about writing novels? Or making pottery? Or arranging flowers?
Other than that, I'm trying it out now, as it sounds like a lot of fun!
Test Subject
#854 Old 15th Feb 2016 at 10:54 PM
I think it would be more fun if teen sims had to get a job. You know if you're impoverished the kids have get jobs. I thinkI'll keep it the same for adults though.
Test Subject
#855 Old 19th Feb 2016 at 1:36 AM
I am surprised this 10 year old challenge is still alive.

I just started it yesterday with a female Sim named Allison Smythe. I've already made the mistake of having let her get promoted twice (I didn't see in the rules that when the CAS Sim is promoted they must quit and, additionally, I saw later on that they did not need to quit they would just take the usual 1,000 point loss for each promotion like any other Sim so I don't know what is the correct way anymore). Either way, I've made sure to note both promotions for later on scoring.

She has 2 kids by a playable Sim in Belladonna Cove (Timothy Riley) and they are engaged, but I'm not letting them marry since she isn't allowed to move him in anyway. Her house is coming along (she barely made it through winter with a baby and barely enough money to make a shed to keep the crib in). While she does have a separate bedroom, bathroom, and nursery her eldest does sleep in the "living area" and they have no paint on most of the walls or flooring on the ground. Besides work she's been digging holes in her yard (and in her house during winter) to find treasure (so far the most expensive thing we've found are the secret location maps for the vacation worlds at 400 a pop).

I think she and her daughters will do fine as they go along in life. This challenge is definitely difficult though!
Lab Assistant
#856 Old 14th Apr 2017 at 7:15 PM
Hi

Yes, I'm late to the game but I did find my way here.

Anyway- I've been playing the Old Maid version. I'm on Week 6 and they finally have a stove. I've not let them dig and sell anything- just put the rocks around the lot and hang* up some maps for fun.
They have made more money now that the teens can fish- only selling the expensive ones, which they don't get often. 3 of the 4 teens are working, 1 did get a cc where they got a promotion.
So, she's got 6 kids (2 sets of twins) and 3 accidental promotions.

Just a few Pictures

Pretty much it's easy now, even without much money. Just waiting for the kids to grow up and start the next generation.
Instructor
#857 Old 6th Sep 2018 at 3:35 PM
bump please
Field Researcher
#858 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 6:25 PM
I've done a "Food, Fire, Water, and Shelter" scenario. Lots of fun!

I let them start with 20000 Simoleons. After they buy their lot, and a "feed bag", I use cheats to reduce them to 500 Simoleons, and let it go from there.
Theorist
#859 Old 15th May 2019 at 3:01 PM
I played this a long, long time ago back when I only had the base game. I've just spent some weeks refamiliarizing myself with TS2, going through my CC, sorting through and updating mods (I don't generally use cheaty mods) so I could install AL (which I never had before). In the process I've been trying to decide whether to start completely over with my Sims or pick up where I left off. Somewhere along the way I started reading back through some of the various challenges. I read through this entire thread over the last couple of days and realized it would make a great starting point for a brand new 'hood! Start with nothing more in that neighborhood than this single Poverty family and one or two of the approved lots (I really like the rest stop lot for this idea). Plop them in the town then head off on basically a BaCC. As the Sims in this family are raised, the non-heirs (of which if I remember from the first time I did it ended up being quite a bunch of Sims) could go on to start other minor challenges, perhaps even a couple of longer ones in the same neighborhood. Ooh yes, my imagination has kind of run overtime with this.
Instructor
#860 Old 17th May 2020 at 2:39 AM
I'm trying this again. I did one run a number of years ago, but it was fraught w/mistakes. So I'm trying again. My sim's name is Rosanna Kearns. I tried to use Ed's, but somehow it got corrupted. I'm trying out other lots now starting w/the Old Scout Hall.
Alchemist
#861 Old 18th May 2020 at 5:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sonshine
I'm trying this again. I did one run a number of years ago, but it was fraught w/mistakes. So I'm trying again. My sim's name is Rosanna Kearns. I tried to use Ed's, but somehow it got corrupted. I'm trying out other lots now starting w/the Old Scout Hall.

@Sonshine - if you have the UC, I recently rebuilt the challenge Produce stall - also fixed the original version so the broken CC doesn't crash things.
Instructor
#862 Old 20th May 2020 at 12:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aelflaed
@Sonshine - if you have the UC, I recently rebuilt the challenge Produce stall - also fixed the original version so the broken CC doesn't crash things.

Thanks, but I found the problem. It was w/some conflicting mods. I removed one of them and now the game works great!
Instructor
#863 Old 20th May 2020 at 1:06 AM
I had my sim dig a LOT of holes in the yard and she got some pretty nice things although, not the Ming Vase. She still did pretty good though for money. Between that and working for a couple of days, she scraped up enough money to build a small bathroom consisting of a toilet and a shower. She eventually made enough to build a small 1 room apt. Just in time too b/c it is now winter. Next spring, I plan to have her plant a garden so she can grow her own food and also sell some. She started off in the (custom) Photography career. Even though she has creativity pts, she didn't get promoted, whew! I have her trying to meet some men and hopefully, she'll hit it off w/one. I had her pick up the phone and quit and will find a job where there's no danger of getting promoted. In my last run everybody worked in the Showbusiness career and brought home about $420 per day. As long as they didn't get any charisma or body pts, no promotions. Here are a couple of pics. The first one is just getting started and the second one is her 1 room apt.
Screenshots
Instructor
#864 Old 20th May 2020 at 9:17 AM
Her house is getting bigger now. She added on another bedroom for her twin girls. She now works in the show business career and gets $420 per day. Unfortunately, in her last job in the military, she got a promotion even though she did not have any of the skills required for that. : / I had her quit and look in the paper again. She has another bun in the oven now from her fiancee. She tried gardening, but w/just herself doing it, she couldn't keep up and all of the plants died. I forgot about the lady bug houses too until afterwards. : / It's amazing how much you forget when you don't play it for a while. She will be planting another garden and will have the girls help out. Here is the updated pic of the house. It's still kind of small, but it's getting there.
Screenshots
Instructor
#865 Old 22nd May 2020 at 7:00 PM Last edited by Sonshine : 22nd May 2020 at 7:21 PM.
A little update here. After several attempts at the garden (the plants kept getting killed off by the weeds), she finally has a gold badge and can talk the plants into health. The girls are teens now and she has a son also who is a teen and she is elder now. The kids are helping out in the garden which helps out a lot. It's still kind of hard though. I plan to harvest the garden for food instead of buying groceries at the store. I also added some (custom) fruit trees that they harvest for food. As for money, the veggie garden doesn't even come close to earning what painting brings in plus $420 a day for each one who works in the show business career. She and her daughters are all maxed out in creativity and the son is close behind. I probably won't do the garden very often b/c it just takes up too much time, time away from the painting. I plan to make all of them fortune sims b/c it is so easy to keep them in platinum b/c of selling masterpieces. I plan to have the one girl and boy move out when they become adults to make room for more kids for the heiress/oldest daughter.
Instructor
#866 Old 22nd May 2020 at 11:37 PM
Here are some pics of the house. She finally got enough money to expand it.
Screenshots
Instructor
#867 Old 24th May 2020 at 9:19 AM
Another update. Rosanna died right at 67 days just before 68. She went out w/the hula girls. Her fiancee got the biggest chunk of inheritance. Hanna, Flora, and Andrew all got $9100 and her 2 grandchildren Patrick and Cory got a little bit. They have a new brother (Kenneth) and sister (Rosa). Things are kind of hectic right now w/2 toddlers and 2 babies, LOL Hannah does not have a job yet. She's been busy w/the kids and her pregnancy. She paints when she can.
Instructor
#868 Old 29th May 2020 at 9:20 PM Last edited by Sonshine : 30th May 2020 at 12:49 AM.
I'm still working on this. I had an idea about using the hobbies as a source of income instead of the painting. While some paintings can earn up to $800+, it takes about 6+ hrs to create one. The big Amphora on the pottery wheel takes only about 2 hrs or so and sells for $300! So I can get $2100 simoleons in the same amount of time that it takes to make a painting. I'm not sure about how much money the stitching or any of the other hobby items sell for atm. So hobby items (at least for pottery) can be much more lucrative if you have FreeTime. I've not tested those out yet. I hit a bit of a snag though. It took me a little bit to work that out, but I found that I had a mod that was blocking badges from making hobby items. I did find it and removed and am good to go now.
Alchemist
#869 Old 29th May 2020 at 10:00 PM
You're having a good time with the challenge! I'm glad I don't have to clean all those bathrooms, though.

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort
Instructor
#870 Old 30th May 2020 at 4:44 AM
LOL I have lots of helpers,
Mad Poster
#871 Old 1st Jun 2020 at 7:48 AM
I've had a town being set up for a homesteader's challenge and this one would play very well into my new town as it's a frontier town in the old west being settled by poor immigrants and poor families from the Eastern US heading out west in the 1820's hoping for a better life and better futures for their kids.My town has a service center site which only has an outdoor farmer's market on it so far and a homesteading lot that will take up most of the founding couple's money they get from CAS.I'll use empty place holder jobs that don't pay or have them take part time jobs from a hack that makes it possible to choose what type of jobs adults and elders take on.
Instructor
#872 Old 11th Jun 2020 at 11:52 PM Last edited by Sonshine : 12th Jun 2020 at 3:10 AM.
Hi Tad! As soon as you can afford it, I found that the pottery wheel brings in MUCH more money than even the base level job in the Showtime career which gives $420/day. Each day they work 7 hrs. Once they get the gold badge, they can make the amphora which takes just shy of 2 hrs to make and sells for $300! In 6 hrs, they can make $18k! It doesn't take that much to get to gold. I had everything written down, but can't seem to find it. The plates take about 5 to get to bronze, then 8 tea sets to get silver and 14 pitchers to get gold. The pottery wheel costs $899, but they make that up real fast w/selling the pottery. When the gypsy shows up w/the lamp, just stick it in one of their inventories.
Mad Poster
#873 Old 12th Jun 2020 at 4:36 PM
@sonshine -I've been planning this as a variation on my homesteaders challenge and it's being played in Sims 2 so I won't have Showtime careers as that TS3 and I've got other challenges going in that game.I've got plans for subsidized apartments to give them 15000$ checks twice a week if they can get into the subsidized housing or they can just go into vocational public housing and get rent based off their income and a smaller amount off bills.
Instructor
#874 Old 15th Jun 2020 at 6:01 AM
Could you please explain your subsidized housing? Is it based on the landlord mod?
Mad Poster
#875 Old 15th Jun 2020 at 4:51 PM
It's based on using the green energy sources from the M&G stuff pack and you can place them on apartment lots if you had both that and Apartment Life in your game.I've got both because of UC which was my only option to play TS2 on my Windows 7 laptop which is now almost 8 years old.I've also got career rewards and aspiration rewards unlocked in buy mode from a download found here whicch can also help.There's another Mod I use which is a rental agreement clipboard to adjust the rent in publicly owned apartment buildings.
Page 35 of 36