Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jan 2019 at 10:33 PM
Default s3pe opens custom content files- can't download
I just downloaded Sims 4 + Cats and Dogs over Christmas and I wanted to get some cc. The game runs fine but when I go to download any cc, S3PE opens the files instead of Winzip. I only used S3PE to dump memory files for Sims 3 and I have no idea how to really use it. Can I save the cc from this program or do I need to uninstall it?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 2nd Jan 2019 at 10:41 PM
A lot of TS3 and TS4 creators these days don't zip their downloads if it's just single files, and uploads the package files directly, which leads to this problem.

Have you tried the "save as..." option in the browser you use? Should pop up with Firefox and IE, possibly also other browsers. It's a much better option, because then you can save the files where you want them, and they shouldn't open in other programs.

"Save..." is another option, but then files will (in Windows 7, possibly 8 and 10) often save themselves to a "downloaded files" area on the computer (not the Downloads or Mods, etc. folders for the games), and can sometimes be a little tricky to find.

If you use the "open..." option, the file will try to immediately open in whatever program is set as default for package files, which often is the last Sims-related program you installed that edits package files (S3PE, S4PE, SimPE, possibly a couple others).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Jan 2019 at 2:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
A lot of TS3 and TS4 creators these days don't zip their downloads if it's just single files, and uploads the package files directly, which leads to this problem.

Have you tried the "save as..." option in the browser you use? Should pop up with Firefox and IE, possibly also other browsers. It's a much better option, because then you can save the files where you want them, and they shouldn't open in other programs.

"Save..." is another option, but then files will (in Windows 7, possibly 8 and 10) often save themselves to a "downloaded files" area on the computer (not the Downloads or Mods, etc. folders for the games), and can sometimes be a little tricky to find.

If you use the "open..." option, the file will try to immediately open in whatever program is set as default for package files, which often is the last Sims-related program you installed that edits package files (S3PE, S4PE, SimPE, possibly a couple others).

Thank you, I looked in the downloads folder and they were saved there. I just copied them over to the mods folder. I'll test it out tomorrow to see if they worked out.
Scholar
#4 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 8:43 PM
Right click the wizip file you have downloaded and choose "Open With" then find your WinZIP program and make sure to tick the box that says "always open these types of files with this program"
Then anytime you download WinZIP files they will open with WinZIP and not S3PE