Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th May 2019 at 2:12 AM
Default Multi-roof Attic — Beginner Build Tutorial for Sims 2
It has come to my attention that some players are struggling to build basic attic spaces for their sims. There are tutorials out there, but many of the old links are dead, or crucial information has gone missing. TS2 has been around long enough that we need replacement tutorials.

In particular, this guide has lost its pictures, which is causing some confusion. I have made a quick set of new images to illustrate this easy attic method, and in the end, written a new tutorial to go with them.

This method does not require any build cheats such as CFE. It should work for any game configuration from Base to Ultimate Collection. The attic created is weather- and temperature-proof for Seasons players.

I have attached a PDF file for those who want a downloadable version.

Step 1: Preparation - Build your ground floor. Put a gable roof over it.
To achieve the largest attic space, put the gable (the roof walls) above the widest side of your base. In my picture, I have placed wall covering on the first three wall sections at each edge of the gable. These areas will not be part of your attic, and will remain open to the weather.

Note that the gable walls are automatically angled to fit the roofline, and are not standard 16-click height.

You can increase your attic space by using a steeper roof slope. If you have a steep roof, you may have only two tiles of unsheltered space at the edges, although a really steep roof might look weird. It's up to you.

Step 2: Delete the gable walls from the future attic area.
Note how this removes the walls all the way up to the peak.

Step 3: Build ordinary walls across the gap just created.
These walls will not fill all the way to the roof peak, since they are standard-height. The first image shows the gap remaining under the roof. The second image has the roof down — note how the attic has a floor grid only above the new walls, but not covering the area. The ground floor has a full grid, because it is fully enclosed by standard walls.

Step 4: Build side walls to enclose your attic.
The attic now has a full grid above it. In the second picture, with the roof up, you can see that we still have a gap under the peak.

Step 5: Build an extra gable roof above your attic room.
This will not be possible unless you have the complete grid as created in the previous step. Placing this extra roof will create new gable walls to fill the gap above your attic. The new roof should merge seamlessly with your original roof.

Step 6: Continue building and furnishing your house however you like.

Windows can be placed on your attic gables without MoveObjects.

If you alter the roof slope angle, naturally both rooves need to be altered if you want them to merge.

Interesting effects can be created by using a different roof style, or a different slope angle.
Experiment, have fun!
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  AE-Tutorial-MultiRoofAttic-Basic.7z (3.45 MB, 38 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 14th Aug 2020 at 2:20 PM
Excellent! Thanks for doing this, @aelflaed! I know this has been here a while but I just found it now and had to say I agree 100 percent that we need some new tutorials to replace old missing ones. I had read that old tutorial years ago and got the method to work for me, but lately it hasn't been working and I never could figure out what I was doing wrong. (I was trying to run over the entire old roof with a new roof, instead of simply roofing the attic room by itself. DUHHH! lol)

Sims 2 is still the best of the bunch if you ask me. New tutorials definitely help to keep our wonderful game alive and well, so a million thanks for this!!
Field Researcher
#3 Old 14th Aug 2020 at 2:52 PM
I just found a 2007 post from Patul: http://www.modthesims2.com/showpost...957&postcount=6 who says that in Build mode, click on any square and click Shift + Alt . This shows a small panel with info about it including whether or not it's "inside: or "outside". I just tried it now and I found that I had to right-click on the square first to get the panel to come up, so maybe something has changed since 2007. Very useful info, especially when building attics, or when using angled windows, invisible floor tiles, etc. and you're not sure if they will make the room weather-proof or not.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Aug 2020 at 9:42 AM
Thanks for those messages, Laurecleve. I’m sure your tip will also be useful!

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort