Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Banned
#76 Old 13th Mar 2010 at 4:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ginrouken
I mean it's "your" challenge in the sense of, you're the one playing it, so if you wanna bend some rules, it's your call. You know?

The rules say no cheats or hacks that give you advantages that other players wouldn't have. Basically, anything that makes the challenge easier for you isn't allowed, the only cheats you can use are those that don't make any difference - building cheats to make basements, moveobjects to delete stuck sims, force age (if the kid has already completed the full age cycle but won't grown up), etc. There's no hardcoded list of cheats allowed or forbidden, you just have to use discretion and ask yourself, when you think of doing something via cheat, if you're doing it because you absolutely need to (you have a stuck sim), or because it'll make your gameplay easier (you wanna make things easier, when they shouldn't be).

Good luck with the next attempt! I had to try two or three failed times before I finally managed to complete it the first time.

Doesn't really make sense to me. No-one modified the rules of my challenge (Serial Killer): everyone played it properly, so I'd like to return the favour by playing the version of the rules that I found as they apply. (It's the version updated for Pets, so in order to avoid the pet restrictions I'm not going to install the copy of Pets I bought a few days ago )

Forunately I created Henriette as a BodyShop template for use in CAS, so I can just clone a fresh version and start over.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#77 Old 13th Mar 2010 at 11:09 AM
" (It's the version updated for Pets, so in order to avoid the pet restrictions I'm not going to install the copy of Pets I bought a few days ago )"
...So, I take it you are not following the 'rule' about moving the restrictions for careers you don't have onto ones for careers you do, then?
Myself, I created a simplified rule set (Apoca-lite over in the boolprop forums, http://www.forums.boolprop.com/view...hp?f=50&t=45222) to play within my Build A City Challenge.

Apocalypse is fun and has a community of players that help keep it alive for each other. But over the years since 2006 or so when Pinstar created the challenge, the rules have been in flux. As players found ways around restrictions, rules got put in place (both 'officially' by Pinstar and later by groups of hard core players) to plug the loopholes. As the hard core players got more experience at the challenge, they started 'plugging' loopholes like being able to make gelatin which lasts a bit longer before decaying for a sims 1 meal a day. While such added restrictions make the challenge interesting for experienced players, its a big barrier for new players or players that don't want life to be quite that hard for their sims. I'd suggest someone trying out this challenge to find or make a rule set that sounds playable to you and stick with that for a while.
Lab Assistant
#78 Old 13th Mar 2010 at 2:17 PM
I think players new to Apocalypse should just play according to the rules posted on what is the "official site" to the challenge (legacychallenge.com). Trying to keep track of the 3294631987 corrections, additions and backpedallings Pinstar only made through private emails, podcasts and posts on various forums but never got around to post on the site, not to mention all the different made up rules random people throw around for the latter EPs without Pìnstar's sanctioning, is way too much hassle and waste of time even for experienced Apocalypsians. The challenge is good and hard enough as it is, if you feel you're trapped by the loopholes you've found, try changing your own game style the next time.

Personally, I'm not playing the challenge with any modifications of what is up on the site until Pinstar updates it with his official rules. If he makes those ridiculous "only two walls per day" kind of rules official, I'll follow them the next time, but until then, no thanks.
Lab Assistant
#79 Old 13th Mar 2010 at 6:07 PM
Some of us suspect Pinstar never officially updated the rules on the challenge site because he wanted to keep a simpler and less painful version as the official one. I am looking to add a founder/family playing by his original rule set to my Build a City Challenge this round when I play university (I have a sub hood that follows apocalypse rules while th rest of the sim hood follows that BACC rules.) It is not 'pure' as I have assorted mods in my game and there is the potential for walk by interaction with all the other families--but it is fun.
Banned
#80 Old 14th Mar 2010 at 6:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ginrouken
I think players new to Apocalypse should just play according to the rules posted on what is the "official site" to the challenge (legacychallenge.com). Trying to keep track of the 3294631987 corrections, additions and backpedallings Pinstar only made through private emails, podcasts and posts on various forums but never got around to post on the site, not to mention all the different made up rules random people throw around for the latter EPs without Pìnstar's sanctioning, is way too much hassle and waste of time even for experienced Apocalypsians. The challenge is good and hard enough as it is, if you feel you're trapped by the loopholes you've found, try changing your own game style the next time.

Personally, I'm not playing the challenge with any modifications of what is up on the site until Pinstar updates it with his official rules. If he makes those ridiculous "only two walls per day" kind of rules official, I'll follow them the next time, but until then, no thanks.

This.

I didn't see any rule about transfer of career restrictions, so I'm not following it. I'm only going by the rules I found in the Pets update. No more, no less. This challenge is hard enough as it is, constantly changing it is only going to give me a headache and make me want to chuck it in.
Banned
#81 Old 18th Mar 2010 at 3:23 AM
OK, now I'm grateful for the lack of restrictions for AL, since it means no limitations on magic. It's hard to keep my Sim's needs up, so I use the Benemoodus Simae and Corpus Cleanius spells if they really start to tank. Henriette's still two friends away from topping the Natural Science Career (gah! why is there so much emphasis on that?) despite using the FT aspiration bonuses. At least she met a lot of people in college...
Test Subject
#82 Old 13th Jul 2011 at 8:38 PM
I'm playing this challenge -- again -- and correcting the terrible error I made the first time. First time round, the first career I unlocked was Medical. BAD IDEA. I'm not sure how this challenge is POSSIBLE if the first one you unlock is anything other than Culinary -- any sims which get pregnant are liable to just up and starve to death! This time, I've unlocked Culinary first, and plan to have the wifey try for Natural Science. That way we can use telescopes and unlock Alien Technology.

But I will prepare for SHUNNNNN

Because in a few ways, I really am not following the rules:

1. I am using a few custom items. Generally of the same price as the original content, but with a very shabby, gross, cheap, broken look. I am ALL ABOUT ATMOSPHERE and I just couldn't do this if my Sims were living in normal houses.

2. I made a custom neighbourhood, and probably most of my sims will be marrying sims from around this neighbourhood. SHUNNNN I KNOW but see I haven't given them skills or anything. It's all about the atmosphere. They've all got custom-grunged/ripped/messed up clothing (some I found here, some I modified from downloads, some I modified from Freetime/original content clothing.) and dirty faces and whatnot.

3. I am following Security Animal and Service Animal rules... but not Animal Show Business. I'm sorry, but not being able to have kids skill-build or DO THEIR HOMEWORK?! And especially given I don't like playing with pets and think they're a pain in the ass when I'm *not* doing the Apoc Challenge...
Test Subject
#83 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 2:08 AM
Default Business
How do you lift the business restriction? I feel stupid, and I must have missed something... Other than that... im excited to start playing!
Test Subject
#84 Old 3rd Aug 2011 at 2:01 AM
Default More Restrictions?
Maybe You Can Update This Challenge To Have The New Career Tracks (Such As Oceanography, Gamer, Education, etc.)
Test Subject
#85 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 7:24 PM
Hey guys, we all know that TS2 exchange is down. This means that the safehouses pinstar posted can't be downloaded? Does anyone have an alternative link, or maybe you can upload them here? I only need the witches hut, by the way. It would be greatly appreciated

P.S- applesryummy, you lift business by getting to the top of the business career track.
Field Researcher
#86 Old 13th Aug 2011 at 9:44 AM
OK, I have always wanted to try this challenge, and now that I've adopted 'post-apocalyptic urban wasteland dystopia' as my standard playstyle, it would seem like the perfect time to try it. I don't expect a warm welcome though, because:

1. I despise the 'single-family challenge principle' and in this case it just seems plain ridiculous. According to the flavour text, it's just a region that's been affected by the disaster, not the entire world - but not only is no one from the outside doing anything to help, no one on the inside can either unless they're a blood relative of one random survivor and live on a particular lot! Not to mention all the workplaces are chugging along like nothing's happened... it's issues like this that stopped me playing before.

2. I refuse to play without copious amounts of CC and mods. Most of the Maxis stuff severely wrecks the apocalyptic atmosphere, IMHO *coughShowBusiness* I'm no fashion snob - far from it - but I would not be caught dead in a fallout zone wearing something I couldn't run in.

3. Everyone else probably thinks I'm weird anyway.

So, basically, I want to play the challenge, but I just find most of it to be a Big Ball O' Ridiculous and/or just not work with the way I do things.

... would creating a variation that works for me get me chased by an angry mob?

- VT

simblr
Home of my Kulo Seeri Test of Time and a lot of worldbuilder rambling. You have been warned.
Field Researcher
#87 Old 13th Aug 2011 at 7:50 PM
It's your game so play how you want. The Rules Police aren't going to beat down your door and arrest you. I created a heavily modified Apocalypse rule set posted on my site that included a lot of CC and house rules. My only suggestion is don't be tempted to make it easier. My overall sims gameplay improved because I was forced to really focus on every detail during my Apocalypse play. Facing decisions like letting the dog starve because he's met the career challenge and you need the food for the rest of the family is part of the "fun" (yes I really had to do that when I played).

On my site I have dozens more Sims 2 mods. These mods come with no support so use them at your own risk.
Field Researcher
#88 Old 14th Aug 2011 at 8:53 AM
Thanks - I checked out your alternative rules and although not all of them work for me personally, there are a few I'd like to use. I'm probably going to set up my version to involve an entire neighbourhood, but I'll have to add in a few more restrictions or something so that it's not over too soon.

- VT

simblr
Home of my Kulo Seeri Test of Time and a lot of worldbuilder rambling. You have been warned.
Lab Assistant
#89 Old 15th Aug 2011 at 11:12 PM
This looks like an exciting challenge. I've already started this, but I'm going to make a few modifications to it. I will make most of the restrictions still apply, and I wont say for a second that I've completed the challenge. This challenge just inspired me to do something really fun.
Test Subject
#90 Old 2nd Apr 2013 at 7:05 AM
Quote:
3. I am following Security Animal and Service Animal rules... but not Animal Show Business. I'm sorry, but not being able to have kids skill-build or DO THEIR HOMEWORK?! And especially given I don't like playing with pets and think they're a pain in the ass when I'm *not* doing the Apoc Challenge...

I think that you misread that. They cannot "learn" to do their homework. I'm not sure what the flavor of the story is in regard to this rule, but your children can do all the homework they want. They just can't "learn" to do their homework, which is the term for having someone help them with their homework. If a child couldn't do their homework at all, they'd be taken away quickly.
Theorist
#91 Old 10th Apr 2013 at 2:52 AM
This challenge was such a blast, I used Strangetown to play it.

The hardest part is the ghosts, unless you're smart from the very beginning they can wipe out your entire family. I drew a conclusion that you absolutely have to call your elders outside before they're going to drop off. Not before my family got eliminated in its 3rd generation, though.
Instructor
#92 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 10:33 PM
I've been playing this recently b/c my TS3 won't work right now. One mod I did have to have was the Insim/Health Adjuster b/c every single one of the townies show up mostly frozen to death. I have no idea why! I use the health adjuster to make them "comfortable." There's no reason why townies should be frozen. I also used a mod to make a child's motives static so he or she could work out until they got 10 body before teenhood. Don't like doing it during teenhood b/c of the acne, lol. So far, I've just started my 7th gen in my challenge and have unlocked medical, slacker, culinary, law, criminal paranormal, athletic, journalism, law enforcement, oceanography, education, military, gamer and intelligence. One of the heir's wife got scared to death after being scared about 3 or 4 times in a row so she couldn't unlock anything. In fact, I quit w/o saving once b/c the wife and both daughters were scared to death, leaving the heir and an infant son which they got after both daughters died. I think then the heir was scared to death and I quit. From that point on though, before I lifted paranormal, I learned to move everybody upstairs to do whatever they wanted to do until it was time for bed. They didn't get scared to death that way. I'm going to experiment w/different custom cameras though, b/c the EA camera stinks BIG TIME. I want to put a 4th story on, but the EA camera can't handle that, it's too difficult to try to navigate it.
Test Subject
#93 Old 15th Aug 2013 at 2:16 PM
I thought this looked fun, but im not sure what I can do, because I only have Nightlife... I'll find a way.
Mad Poster
#94 Old 15th Aug 2013 at 2:47 PM
CrazyChick, check this out: http://apocalypsechallenge.kaleiope.com/
The Base Challenge, even though it says Uni and OFB are "required", should be easily adaptable to the base game and NL alone.

In my opinion, this challenge is near the very top of all challenges ever created for Sims 2, if not at THE top. I'm a huge fan, and have many of these under my belt. It's not perfect (especially as the last couple EPs complicated things to the point where some rules were no longer as logical), and it's not for everyone, but it's still really really great!

You might also be interested in Phaenoh's re-worked version. It's quite a bit different, but retains the spirit well, I think, and it's more logical, in many respects. I haven't done one of hers yet, but I'd still recommend checking it out as an option.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=453459

Enjoy!
Test Subject
#95 Old 23rd Sep 2013 at 9:41 PM
So, i try to go to the legacy challange page and it wont come up. i feel like i am doing something wrong.. even tho i am just clicking links.
Mad Poster
#96 Old 23rd Sep 2013 at 10:08 PM
Pinstar retired from simming (at least publicly) years ago, and the official site for the Legacy Challenge is long gone. However, it's archived in Wayback Machine here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20100514....com/index.html

eta: This is the Apocalypse Challenge thread, by the way, but those rules are accessible in the above link as well. They don't include revisions for the later EPs, though. For that, and Phaenoh's revised version of the challenge, refer to my previous post just above yours.
Mad Poster
#98 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 10:29 PM Last edited by Sunbee : 19th Mar 2017 at 9:29 PM.
Currently playing using RoseFyre and LadyLarkRune's ruleset. My adult start female founder lifted hopelessness in Oceanography, pregnant by her lifelong boyfriend, Phil J, during her last promotion. Sierra is quite possibly the most luckiest founder ever, because good old Phil walked by again and again, even showing up after she topped her career and before their baby was born, in spite of it not being a phone day, and was willing to move in. He has a low level culinary position, she quit her job to stay home with the baby and managed to get pregnant again at just six days to elder. Did I say luckiest adult start founder ever? (Also, Oceanography is a very easy first lift for adult start. I was surprised. I think she lifted in just 21 days.)

Edit: Sierra went permaplat the day before she died peaceably of old age. Elder son, Roan, grew up in very low green aspiration and got a job in entertainment, but when Sierra died a 'grief emitter' thing blocked the stairs, and Roan got accidentally deleted when I zapped the stairs and all, and after save and exiting and re-entering the lot he thought he was a teen though still looked adult. That was easily fixed with the simblender (I swear, apocalypse houses are exactly and precisely shaped to cause the most possible glitches), but the new job he found was in slacker. Which was okay, probably a better choice. Little brother Rouge grew up, got a military job. Phil aged to elder with all his skills in order to max culinary but he'd been demoted to the lowest level by a chance card, so it was very iffy if he'd make it. And Roan moved in and married two-bolter Shelby. Shelby came in at the same level of culinary as Phil, so they were moving up the ranks more or less together--she got chance card promotions and he got earned promotions, which was funny. Woohoo the first time produced a little boy, River. Shelby of course wanted more woohoo, which was a mistake, because she couldn't hold it together quite long enough to get to work halfway through the second pregnancy and died of starvation. She promptly haunted and murdered both Phil and Rouge. River, now a child, escaped death by a couple seconds, and River and Roan hid on whichever floor the ghosts weren't on. This got them through River's childhood (barely, he had an F on Friday when he aged up). As a teen he didn't have the hygiene issues, (merely nine neat points, Roan has all ten), and did rather better. I discovered that if I have a sim grill using the make-meal menu, the sim sets the food down at the base of the grill where it promptly vanishes into nothing. But with two sims only, one having topped Slacker, they went back to instant meal consumption. River aged to adult.
Two careers lifted: Oceanography and Slacker.
Four ghosts, only one permaplat and old age.
Do I get River a wife ASAP or do I hold off until he makes a lift? If he and his wife could open the university, I could get his kid to lift paranormal and get those darned hungry ghosts out of my house . . . Shelby and Rouge's urns are on the food and skilling floor, Phil's is on the bed floor, but everyone starts out haunting the beds . . . I could deal with just Sierra, old age ghosts are usually content with one scare a night before they go haunt the back corner of the lot where they died. Hard decisions here . . . time to open up the game and see what's in the newspaper for River to lift. Jan Tellerman (I know she's romance, but River's popularity) is the likely spouse as the single adult River managed to meet, let alone befriend, as a teen what with trying to stay alive, which involved sleeping days only . . .

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Test Subject
#99 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 7:02 AM
Does anyone know where the 'safe houses' can still be downloaded? I tried looking on this site, but they don't appear to be here. It would be nice if someone could upload them here, but they are somebody else's work, so I don't know if that's possible.
Lab Assistant
#100 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 7:30 PM
No idea where the original "safe houses" are now, but if you're just looking for Apocalypse-challenge-friendly housing in general, there's a good few links in the thread for Phaenoh's tiered variant of the challenge here.
Page 4 of 5